• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: TCU’s mask mandate to remain in place

HFrog1999

In this scenario, everyone in their right mind would choose that both people wear N95 masks. I wouldn't trust ANY other mask.

tumblr_lmt02mNYkI1qkzr4eo1_500.gif

Ron Swanson

In this scenario, everyone in their right mind would choose that both people wear N95 masks. I wouldn't trust ANY other mask.
I’m taking those out of the equation. A standard surgical mask or nothing are your only two options. Would you wear it and would you make the sick person wear it?

froginmn

I’m taking those out of the equation. A standard surgical mask or nothing are your only two options. Would you wear it and would you make the sick person wear it?
I've never said I'm an anti masker so sure I'd try to breathe through my shirt if that's my only option.

But I think that Fauci's initial comments on this - that most masks won't help- were correct. The study you linked didn't discuss fit, etc. and I think we know that there are multiple studies that show different things.

But if it were truly conclusive that a cotton TCU mask prevented COVID, don't you think we'd have sufficient evidence showing that? We have plenty of evidence showing the opposite, and that just wouldn't be the case if it were obvious that they helped.

Ron Swanson

With all due respect, this is absurd. It ignores facts and implies there is some other magic that explains why things are the way they are.

I hope you can see and understand that.
These are different states with all sorts of different variables at play. Hardly some controlled study where all other variables are taken out of the equation.

And just to be clear, I’m not arguing whether mask mandates themselves are effective, because I don’t think they are. People wear masks if they want to whether the government tells them to or not. We have had a mask mandate in Texas and I’m the only person in my entire office who has ever worn a mask at work. My redneck uncles in Corpus don’t even own masks.

I’m guessing mask usage in California and Florida isn’t all that different despite the mandates. People talk a big game but then get tired of them and drop their guard the second they feel comfortable.

froginmn

These are different states with all sorts of different variables at play. Hardly some controlled study where all other variables are taken out of the equation.

And just to be clear, I’m not arguing whether mask mandates themselves are effective, because I don’t think they are. People wear masks if they want to whether the government tells them to or not. We have had a mask mandate in Texas and I’m the only person in my entire office who has ever worn a mask at work. My redneck uncles in Corpus don’t even own masks.

I’m guessing mask usage in California and Florida isn’t all that different despite the mandates. People talk a big game but then get tired of them and drop their guard the second they feel comfortable.
Look, I understand that you are convinced that masks help a lot. I think you came into this with a comment about logic. I think if it were obvious that masks helped, it would be easy for the CDC to show that study and I would have thought they would say, throw away that cotton TCU mask and wear this mask because we definitively proved it works.

Instead, I think it's very inconclusive, which fits with what we have observed. You seem to want to discard comparisons and say "there must be something else at play" but as I mentioned I've spent time in both MN (mask mandate, shutdowns, and high compliance) and WI (challenges to mandate, reversed shutdown, low compliance) and the results between the two are very similar.

Endless Purple

maybe you should look up the overall death rate per 100k in both states before this pandemic....you might realize that typically there is a 8-9% higher death rate per capita for all causes in Florida over California because the average age of the residents is a lot higher....

so really if you age adjusted it - Florida has an equal or slightly lower rate that Cali from COVID despite no lockdowns...

again - I am not debating if people should wear masks or no masks - I am specifically saying mandate actions (masks, distancing, occupancy rates, business closings, travel restrictions, etc) has not proven to be helpful in the battle. However, proof does exist that mandates in general and the level, number and duration have a direct relationship to the level of economic pain each state is incurring individually.
I am using numbers provided in this thread for the discussion points examples which are being disputed without the outside information as well. I am not bringing in new information since it is not being used by the other side either.

I can't remember the last time I had someone tried to counter so many of my points when the perspective was 90% the same.

Endless Purple

What a ridiculous analogy. I think TCU had about 1,500 students get the virus, not sure even one went to the hospital. An additional 10,000 deaths means another 3,140 people aged 85+ and another 4,960 people aged 65-84. And a grand total of about 12 college-aged kids of which there are about 20 million in this country.

For 10,000 college-aged kids to die, COVID deaths would need to approach about 7 million.
It is not an analogy. That would be utterly inaccurate just like trying to make it into something it is not. It is a reference point to show the size impact of approximately 2% of the deaths from covid.

Eight

As far as I know, even if you’re fully vaccinated, you can get the virus and pass it to others. You just won’t get super sick yourself if you get it.

Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong on that.

according to the cdc, "fully vaccinated people can safely visit with other fully vaccinated people and some unvaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or social distancing according to the guidance."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/cdc...people-who-are-vaccinated-against-covid-.html

additionally: "People who are fully inoculated can also visit with unvaccinated people from a single household without wearing masks or social distancing as long as they're at low risk for severe disease, the CDC says."

furthermore: "Fully vaccinated people don't have to quarantine or get tested for Covid-19 if exposed to someone with the virus as long as they're not showing symptoms the agency advises. However, if a vaccinated person begins to display symptoms, they should isolate themselves and get tested for Covid-19."

flyfishingfrog

I am using numbers provided in this thread for the discussion points examples which are being disputed without the outside information as well. I am not bringing in new information since it is not being used by the other side either.

I can't remember the last time I had someone tried to counter so many of my points when the perspective was 90% the same.
ok - just saying you were making it seem like an 8% higher death rate from COVID in Florida was a big difference from California and I was just pointing that everyday 8-9% more people die in Florida than in California period - COVID or not - so really COVID isn't making a difference nor are the existence or lack of mandates in either state.