• The KillerFrogs

2022 Recruiting Thread

froginmn

Seriously? You wouldn't have a list similar to this when considering a new job?

-How stable is the management?
-Do I get along with the management and could I see myself being promoted into management myself?
-Does the company make/sell a quality product?
-What is the growth potential within the company?
-What is the company's reputation?
-Do corporate values align with mine?
-What is the turnover rate at this position?
-Does the role have realistic expectations?
-What are on-target earnings and how many people hit those numbers?
-What avenues do I have for career development? (training, networking, etc.)
-How much do your top performers make?

I'm not going to ask all of those questions out loud to the person interviewing me, but they are things I'm going to research and consider when making my decision.
Your last paragraph is the key. I think it's very good to have such a list. Tweeting it out? Not so much.

Punter1

that list of requiirements could have something to do with the lack of an offer

While it's sometimes very difficult to project how a kid will develop physically from HS to college...

It's freaking extremely easy to project how this kid will develop mentally. He will be a monster pain in the azz from the get go and coaches will steer clear because of the not only potential...but certainty he will be a problem.

Good luck to whoever actually is brave enough to sign him...I'll place the over under at 2 5 for times he transfers.

netty2424

Your last paragraph is the key. I think it's very good to have such a list. Tweeting it out? Not so much.
I don’t really see a problem with it. There aren’t any unreasonable points on the list. I
mean I understand how it looks and why it might make some scoff a bit, but it’s different. And in a world where recruits can get swallowed up in the huge number of recruits out there, it kind of separates him out a little bit from others.

Also shows that he’s putting thought into the process and looking at life after football. I would imagine there are a lot of kids who aren’t. Kind of fits right into the #40not4 mantra.

CryptoMiner

Crystal Ball from Jeremy for DT Tre Emory to TCU. Offers from Tennessee, Ok St, Arkansas, Va Tech....

Emory

“The thing I’m looking for in a college is one that makes sure I’m good defensively in the right scheme,” Emory said. “I just want to be in the right place where I fit in. I don’t want to go some place just because it’s an LSU or Alabama. I just want to go where the schools fits me personally.”

Punter1

I don’t really see a problem with it. There aren’t any unreasonable points on the list. I
mean I understand how it looks and why it might make some scoff a bit, but it’s different. And in a world where recruits can get swallowed up in the huge number of recruits out there, it kind of separates him out a little bit from others.

Also shows that he’s putting thought into the process and looking at life after football. I would imagine there are a lot of kids who aren’t. Kind of fits right into the #40not4 mantra.

He just wreaks of a high maintenance prima dona IMO. If he were to ask those questions privately...yea, maybe. But to put that huge list out there shows a good amount of grandstanding, which is a troubling trait.

I just don't get a good vibe from that whole situation...and looking at it from a coach's perspective...I'd be nervous about the downside.

Wexahu

Seriously? You wouldn't have a list similar to this when considering a new job?

-How stable is the management?
-Do I get along with the management and could I see myself being promoted into management myself?
-Does the company make/sell a quality product?
-What is the growth potential within the company?
-What is the company's reputation?
-Do corporate values align with mine?
-What is the turnover rate at this position?
-Does the role have realistic expectations?
-What are on-target earnings and how many people hit those numbers?
-What avenues do I have for career development? (training, networking, etc.)
-How much do your top performers make?

I'm not going to ask all of those questions out loud to the person interviewing me, but they are things I'm going to research and consider when making my decision.

Imagine you run a company and a 17-year old interviews with you and asks all those questions. Would you want to hire him or would you think he would be a major pain in the ass? I would heavily lean toward the latter.

froginmn

Totally fair. For me, it's just a little much to include that laundry list. I think if he said, "I have a list of things that are important to me, and they include these 3-4", it would be less noteworthy.

I'm probably also a little turned off by him calling himself "the playmaker" as well. Even the "college blessings" term seems a little awkward.

CountryFrog

Imagine you run a company and a 17-year old interviews with you and asks all those questions. Would you want to hire him or would you think he would be a major pain in the ass? I would heavily lean toward the latter.
Depends on how fast he does the 40 coffee cup dash.

I'm sure our coaches were well aware of everything that was included in the Jalen Reagor experience during the recruiting process but when you run that fast then it's not as big of a deal.

Wexahu

Depends on how fast he does the 40 coffee cup dash.

I'm sure our coaches were well aware of everything that was included in the Jalen Reagor experience during the recruiting process but when you run that fast then it's not as big of a deal.

And from a was it worth it standpoint, on a whole I'm not sure how many games JR helped us win. I think there was definitely some addition by subtraction to a degree when he moved on. That dude was ALL about himself, at least if what I have heard is accurate.

CountryFrog

And from a was it worth it standpoint, on a whole I'm not sure how many games JR helped us win. I think there was definitely some addition by subtraction to a degree when he moved on. That dude was ALL about himself, at least if what I have heard is accurate.
That's a different discussion. Who knows. I'm just saying that if you're talented enough then things like that get overlooked very quickly.

And then of course Reagor went on to be a 1st round pick so clearly the Eagles also thought he was fast enough to tolerate all the horse [ Finebaum ]. Again, whether they were right or wrong is a different debate. But none of that stuff scared them off.

Wexahu

That's a different discussion. Who knows. I'm just saying that if you're talented enough then things like that get overlooked very quickly.

And then of course Reagor went on to be a 1st round pick so clearly the Eagles also thought he was fast enough to tolerate all the horse [ #2020 ]. Again, whether they were right or wrong is a different debate. But none of that stuff scared them off.

Right. I'm not saying some people or coaches won't overlook it. I am saying that if I were a coach I wouldn't overlook it.

In other words, I'd look at a kid making a list like that as a MAJOR negative. fwiw, I don't know much about JR's recruitment.

netty2424

Totally fair. For me, it's just a little much to include that laundry list. I think if he said, "I have a list of things that are important to me, and they include these 3-4", it would be less noteworthy.

I'm probably also a little turned off by him calling himself "the playmaker" as well. Even the "college blessings" term seems a little awkward.
Agree with those points as well. Hope he can back up the nickname. Ha!

CountryFrog

Right. I'm not saying some people or coaches won't overlook it. I am saying that if I were a coach I wouldn't overlook it.

In other words, I'd look at a kid making a list like that as a MAJOR negative. fwiw, I don't know much about JR's recruitment.
I also don't think it's a good look for the kid personally but unless there were a lot of other red flags with him (which there may be) then I don't think it would bother me too much either if I liked him as a player.

Froggish

Emory

“The thing I’m looking for in a college is one that makes sure I’m good defensively in the right scheme,” Emory said. “I just want to be in the right place where I fit in. I don’t want to go some place just because it’s an LSU or Alabama. I just want to go where the schools fits me personally.”

As I understand it, Fitch is really tight with Emory and his family...

CryptoMiner

TCU seems to have gone cold in recruiting kids from Brenham for a while now but after a good one at corner (not yet offered).

Eric Hemphill 5-11/180 CB Brenham offers inc Kansas and Memphis

Eight

TCU seems to have gone cold in recruiting kids from Brenham for a while now but after a good one at corner (not yet offered).

Eric Hemphill 5-11/180 CB Brenham offers inc Kansas and Memphis

brenham has been solid, but they have gone through a bit of a dry spell in terms of d-1 talent, but always nice to get athletic defensive backs

Eight

Why can’t we turn elite tall receivers into cornerbacks?

the first step would be to have an abundance of elite tall receivers on your roster

do think there are some on here who can discuss with a a much greater degree of accuracy and sincerity that tall elite receivers don't always have the skill set to play cornerback