• The KillerFrogs

FWST: LaDainian Tomlinson will talk about learning he’s a descendant of slaves in TCU speech

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
LaDainian Tomlinson will talk about learning he’s a descendant of slaves in TCU speech

BY DREW DAVISON

LaDainian Tomlinson ran to glory on the football field. Off the field, he ran from his family’s history for years.

Tomlinson heard bits and pieces of his family’s roots growing up in Central Texas. He knew he was a descendant of slaves but that was about it. He didn’t ask many questions.

But almost a decade ago Tomlinson confronted his family’s past when the book, Tomlinson Hill, was published by journalist Chris Tomlinson on the history of the two sides of the families — the white slave owners and the Black slaves. LaDainian wrote the forward for the book and the revelations made provided a new understanding of his family’s history.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article249457555.html

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I learned a few years ago that I am a descendant of someone that fought and was gravely wounded whilst freeing those held in slavery. It’s interesting and historical, but 3-4 generations later that history doesn’t make me anything special. My great great grandfather deserves thanks and remembrance though.

That's great but if you are both white you are automatically racists.

Spike

pretty early in the day to show your ass.

Not really. That's the way a lot of us feel. Pretty much ever since Barack Obama took office we have been told than any contrary opinion is racist. Disagreeing does not make you racist. Ironically none of my black friends call my racist. Only progressive whites. So what's really going on?

CountryFrog

I learned a few years ago that I am a descendant of someone that fought and was gravely wounded whilst freeing those held in slavery. It’s interesting and historical, but 3-4 generations later that history doesn’t make me anything special. My great great grandfather deserves thanks and remembrance though.
I think you're special

CountryFrog

Never too early for a debate about racism.

I don't think there are many people who actually believe that having contrary opinions makes you a racist. I think at this point there is so much endless discussion and so many voices and things being said that the words racist or racism have almost become like the word "literally." It just gets tossed around haphazardly and has been so mis-used and over-used that it's almost lost all meaning.

I think in a rational discussion then just about everyone could agree that actual racism is something that a very minute portion of Americans actually have. But then the discussion branches off into so many other subjects that may have to do with race but not necessarily racism. And we've all gotten so bad at communicating these days that, whether it's the speaker or the listener or both, we can no longer have many rational conversations that even involve race without it devolving into who's a bigger racist or who is more understanding and sympathetic of different races. Essentially it just becomes (like so many other conversations) a contest of who is most virtuous and who needs to go work on all their character defects instead of actual real life issues.