• The KillerFrogs

I have been a basketball season ticket holder since the Tubbs era

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I saw none of the game, and have seen very little of the team this season. Thus, I really don't have much of an opinion that is based on direct observation. What I am hearing (or reading, to be precise) is that the Frogs are desperately underachieving, have bad fundamentals, and seem to have given up and are just playing out the string.

Is that about the size of it?

HToady

With the exception of some people like YA, basketball popularity comes with the success, unlike football where fans anticipate success, in basketball, they do not, or never have, Even in our best days we may have had a Liberty Bowl moment, but never a Peach, Rose or Cotton Bowl moment.
It would take a significant amount to break the hibernation, that's been going on since 1873.

Salfrog

Tier 1
JD and his coaches just can't evaluate a recruit. How many NBA players can't make a dunk? And Samuel is considering leaving early??? How many did Samual blow today? And players like Todd, Pearson and Fuller are not D1 quality. And the offense of RJ walking the ball up to dribble for 4 or 5 seconds in the middle of the court, many times until RJ turns it over. Who else in D1 runs that? JD has to go.

I think this is the same situation as Johnson's players when JD came in. JD was able to put Johnson's players in the right positions to make them better. If a new coach was to come in, I believe he could take these same players and put them in a better system & situation that would put them in a better position to produce.

This is what is so troubling with what has gone on for the last few] years. Why hasn't JD been able to do the same thing with his players that he did with Johnson's. It really does look like he checked out after he didn't get his dream job at UCLA. I can understand why that job would've been his dream job being close to his family, and being close to where he is was from. Checking out on the school that gave you your only chance at a division 1 scholarship is not acceptable.

I do believe it is time for him to leave. This program is spiraling in the wrong direction. I originally wished we had went after Beard before we went after JD, but after we hired JD I truly hoped that he was going to be the one to turn the MBB program around and have us finishing constantly in the top 4 in the conference every year, and take a us to the tournament most years. He started out that way, but I agree it's time for a new direction.

jake102

Same question on the Hawaii reference. It sounds vaguely familiar but I just can’t recall.

Team was looking good, had a good trip in Hawaii, and then we collapsed and lost half the team to transfers immediately after. Haven’t looked good since

The *rumor* I’ve heard is that there was a large fist fight amongst the team and that Alok (#1 Juco recruit) was heavily involved. To be honest, I’m not sure I buy this rumor as the sole turning point event

PO Frog

Team was looking good, had a good trip in Hawaii, and then we collapsed and lost half the team to transfers immediately after. Haven’t looked good since

The *rumor* I’ve heard is that there was a large fist fight amongst the team and that Alok (#1 Juco recruit) was heavily involved. To be honest, I’m not sure I buy this rumor as the sole turning point event
I think that one guy transferred to UTEP right after and Alok left too. But didn’t Fisher get hurt around the same time? I think that was the main reason for the downfall. Those other guys weren’t worth a damn anyways.

cheese83

The four starters other than Samuel were 8-36. Not going to beat anyone with that shooting.

That stat is a bit misleading bc a miss that’s a foul still counts against them but they got to the line a good bit. Our 3 pt shooting was horrendous and some guys logged more than 10 minutes and either didn’t take a shot or took only 1.
Still don’t get why we don’t feed Samuel more when our offense stalls. He’s good enough to get work down low.

cheese83

We clearly haven’t recovered from the mass exodus and Corey Barker incident yet. Those were massive hits to our roster build. We lost Kendric Davis who was a solid scorer that would be an upperclassman. The guy who went to UTEP ended up being a bust.

One issue here is we do play in an extremely deep conference so any roster development issues get magnified bc the other teams are well coached and know how to expose our weaknesses.

Eight

JD and his coaches just can't evaluate a recruit. How many NBA players can't make a dunk? And Samuel is considering leaving early??? How many did Samual blow today? And players like Todd, Pearson and Fuller are not D1 quality. And the offense of RJ walking the ball up to dribble for 4 or 5 seconds in the middle of the court, many times until RJ turns it over. Who else in D1 runs that? JD has to go.

didn't watch the game, but the box score shows samuel made 4 of 6 attempts so the highest possible answer from yesterday i would guess is 2

compare that to say o'bannon being 1 of 7 and the bigger question is why isn't the the guy making shots getting fed the ball instead of the guy missing shots, but then that would extend to todd, fuller, rj, and miles and we are in the same death spiral as the frogs half court offense

PO Frog

That stat is a bit misleading bc a miss that’s a foul still counts against them but they got to the line a good bit. Our 3 pt shooting was horrendous and some guys logged more than 10 minutes and either didn’t take a shot or took only 1.
Still don’t get why we don’t feed Samuel more when our offense stalls. He’s good enough to get work down low.
Fouled attempts do not count as a missed FG, so you’re not correct. It only counts as a FG attempt if it goes in.

TCUdirtbag

It is time for a change of basketball coaches. Jaime’s teams are playing old school basketball in today’s world. I can see why Pittsburgh was ready and willing to let him go. He might be able to recruit but he cannot change his philosophy.

Jeremiah, you know I’m right. Please take the steps you know that is right for this program. You are a former basketball player and I know you know what is the correct call. Please don’t sacrifice short term gain in salary for long term loss in the program. It’s over and even coach Dixon knows this.

Not saying I disagree at all. I’m undecided—or maybe worse, apathetic.

Can TCU fundraisers pull together enough $ to part ways in the current environment? Should they—this year?
Can we realistically get someone better (open to examples)?

Not saying I disagree at all. I’m undecided—or maybe worse, apathetic.

Can TCU fundraisers pull together enough $ to part ways in the current environment? Should they—this year?
Can we realistically get someone better (open to examples)?
The answer is "likely not" to the first question. Athletics has had an abysmal year financially.

westoverhillbilly

Only 3 NCAA appearances in 50 years ('87,'98 & '18) makes this a systemic problem for TCU. One of Tubbs' assistants told me years after the Tubbs' regime explained it in this way to me. He said that while TCU is a very fine and respected institution, its administration refuses to look the other way on poor/no academic performance by the players while virtually all of the other universities that TCU competes with had no problem doing so. The bigger schools' coaches could search around and find enough blow off classes to do just enough to keep players eligible and not have to worry about academics. He said the basic question is- do you want good basketball players or do you want good student athletes who play basketball?