• The KillerFrogs

OT: Hell's Half Acre

Horny4TCU

So for those of you that know Ft. Worth's history, you should know about the infamous Hell's Half Acre. Now the actual spot of Hell's Half Acre is where they put the convention center, but do the roots still remain? I'm not in the know or the crowds that would, but is there still illegal gambling and prostitution in Fort Worth or an area like Hell's Half Acre?

... Asking for friend.

HFrog1999

So for those of you that know Ft. Worth's history, you should know about the infamous Hell's Half Acre. Now the actual spot of Hell's Half Acre is where they put the convention center, but do the roots still remain? I'm not in the know or the crowds that would, but is there still illegal gambling and prostitution in Fort Worth or an area like Hell's Half Acre?

... Asking for friend.

Here’s a good book about some of Fort Worth’s colorful history

As for anything going on now, I’m not talking about that on the internet

Limp Lizard

A lot of the gambling took place on the Northside. There was the infamous "2222 Jacksboro Highway". That place in the 50's was like an old detective novel. Gambling, etc., but exclusive-ish: city councilmen, the Mayor, Police Chief, FW high society, as well as the ner-do-well gangsters and big time gamblers (such as Doyle Branson) hung out there.
The building is still very visible from Jacksboro Hwy a little south of the 28th street intersection.

Frog-in-law1995

A lot of the gambling took place on the Northside. There was the infamous "2222 Jacksboro Highway". That place in the 50's was like an old detective novel. Gambling, etc., but exclusive-ish: city councilmen, the Mayor, Police Chief, FW high society, as well as the ner-do-well gangsters and big time gamblers (such as Doyle Branson) hung out there.
The building is still very visible from Jacksboro Hwy a little south of the 28th street intersection.

Jacksboro Hwy and 28th don’t intersect. Do you mean Jacksboro and Ephriham (where the motel with the palm trees used to be)? Which building is it? I’d always heard it was near Northside Drive and assumed it was that old dilapidated restaurant on the west side of the road, but could never confirm.

YA

Jacksboro Hwy and 28th don’t intersect. Do you mean Jacksboro and Ephriham (where the motel with the palm trees used to be)? Which building is it? I’d always heard it was near Northside Drive and assumed it was that old dilapidated restaurant on the west side of the road, but could never confirm.
Doesn't 28th turn into 183/Ephriham?

Deep Purple

Northside/Jacksboro was a much later period than Hell's Half Acre. The Acre was 1870s/80s Chisholm Trail cowboys. Jacksboro was 1940s/50s mobsters.

Putt4Purple

... Asking for friend.

You asked the question but know the answer. If there were a true gambling/prostitution local in Ft. Worth it would not be allowed to be open very long.
The books on gambling and prostitution in Fort Worth history aside from Hell's half acre were from the 20's thru the 50's. There were a hand full located at different locations and times along Jacksboro Highway from 28th St. north past Lake Worth. Interesting history of Fort Worth. If there are any currently I am niev and unaware.

Limp Lizard

Northside/Jacksboro was a much later period than Hell's Half Acre. The Acre was 1870s/80s Chisholm Trail cowboys. Jacksboro was 1940s/50s mobsters.
Although Hells Half Acre was about the cowboy era, that part of town was still de facto Hells Half Acre until the convention center was built. I remember seeing a brutal bar fight that had spilled out to the sidewalk and some guy was beating the hell out of someone as we had to stop for a light on a Sunday afternoon. The guy's face was just a gob of red goo.

Paint It Purple

... Asking for friend.
just go with Hell half acre is between the 20's at Stadium Drive. Damn you guys just don't know how to legend.

Paint It Purple

Although Hells Half Acre was about the cowboy era, that part of town was still de facto Hells Half Acre until the convention center was built. I remember seeing a brutal bar fight that had spilled out to the sidewalk and some guy was beating the hell out of someone as we had to stop for a light on a Sunday afternoon. The guy's face was just a gob of red goo.
Where were you that night outside the Oui when I needed you.