• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis - 2020-2021

Longfrog

In the first two rounds, USC has lost both singles matches at #3 (Dostanic), #4 (Jackson) and #6 (Frye/Sands). Bulis did not play again today, so I assume we won't see him either. Losing him of course requires bringing someone off the bench, and neither of the guys they've tried at #6 has been able to get the job done. I would like to see us give Kruger a shot at that spot. Paroulek is another option. He was awful vs UVA but he got a huge win for us against Baylor, so he can get a result indoors. Putting him at #6 against a less talented opponent might be a nice way to restore some confidence.

Gray will presumably stay at #1, and he draws Daniel Cukierman, who's currently the top-ranked player in the country. He beat the brakes off Woldeab today. If you prefer more power, the matchup at #2 will be Fomba vs 6'7'' Riley Smith.

Jared7

Well, at the beginning of the weekend, we were looking forward to getting to face #1 USC on Sunday and that's what we're about to do, but instead of a possible Indoor National championship on the line and a possible #1 ranking, we're now staring at the possibility of being the only 0-3 team leaving Champaign-Urbana and dropping to at least 8th (or lower) after 2 close 4-3 losses (to UVa. and Tennessee) which, arguably, we "should have" or, at least, could have, won. And we were also looking forward to a stunning upset by the Camster over an all-time great, and although he got some nice kudos for playing well and some compliments from Nadal about his potential, that didn't happen either.

So back to reality - we're a very good team, but despite a 15-match winning streak (that just got snapped big-time), we're not the best or very close to it. But we're a fighting team and we have a chance to win against anyone, if we just play well enough. Hopefully, we'll get re-started today against the current (although certain to fall) #1. There'll be only 1 3-0 team emerging from today, 3 2-1 teams, 3 1-2 teams and only one bagel. We need to avoid the ignominy of being the team with the bagel. Fight On! Beat USC!

Jared7

The doubles line-up will be Fomba/Gray v. Cukierman/Riley Smith; Fearnley/Kruger v. Dostanic/Frye; and Kurzban/Jong v. Weststrate/Colter Smith. Starting shortly...

Good start. We lead 1-0 on all three courts; with a break by Jong and Kurzban. And a break by Gray/Fomba for 2-0.

Breaks from the Trojans on both 1 and 2. We're up a break on 3; down a break on 2; even on 1.

Whew, both Fomba/Gray and Kruger/Fearnley save games at no-ad. Jong and Kurzban are cruising 5-0.

Sander and Max win 6-love! Gray/Fomba even on serve (4-3); Fearnley/Kruger down a break (3-4).

Fearnley/Kruger fall 3-6. Court 1 will decide it. Still even on serve (4-all).

5-all. This is tight.

5-6. (sigh). USC with a late break. Our week-end early morning woes continue.

USC 1 TCU 0.

The singles line-up will be Gray v. Cukierman; Fomba v. Smith; Jong v. Dostanic; Jirousek v. Weststrate; Paroulek v. Frye; Martin v. Sands.

Last edited:

Jared7

Both Ali and Luc just pulled out tie-breaks 7-6!! And they join Tommy and Juan with first set W's. We have a chance!!

Jared7

Jirousek with a 3 and 3 W on Court 4 and it's TCU 1 USC 1!

Otherwise, Gray is about to split sets with Cukierman; Fomba is up a set and even on serve; Jong is into a 3rd set even on serve; Paroulek is down a set but into a breaker on 5; and Martin is up a set and even on serve late in the 2nd set.

Paroulek loses a long breaker (9-11) and falls 3-6, 6-7, so it's TCU 1 USC 2. Gray is down a break in the 3rd set; Fomba is up a set and into a breaker on the 2nd; Jong is down a break in the 3rd; and Martin is into the 3rd even on serve. We need 3 more W's and it's not looking good.

Last edited:

Jared7

Jong falls 3-6, 6-3, 3-6 and it's TCU 1 USC 3. We need all three remaining matches - Gray is down a break in the 3rd; Fomba is up a set and into a breaker in his 2nd; and Martin is even on serve in his 3rd.

Gray now down 2 breaks at 0-3. The fat lady is warming up...

Fomba takes his breaker and wins 7-6, 7-6, so it's TCU 2 USC 3. But Gray is down 1-4 and Martin is down 2-3 (although even on serve).

Gray gets a break and it's 2-4! He needs at least 1 more though.

Gray 3-4; Martin gets a break and leads 4-3!

Gray 4-5 and Cukierman will serve for the overall match; Martin 5-3.

Last edited:

Jared7

In an almost unbelievable gutsy comeback, Alastair Gray just beat the #1 player in the nation to clinch the Frogs's W over the #1 rated team in the nation!!!! Down all day, Gray led the team to a fantastic victory, thus sending the Trojans home with an 0-3 bagel!! Wow!!!!!

Pharm Frog

In an almost unbelievable gutsy comeback, Alastair Gray just beat the #1 player in the nation to clinch the Frogs's W over the #1 rated team in the nation!!!! Down all day, Gray led the team to a fantastic victory, thus sending the Trojans home with an 0-3 bagel!! Wow!!!!!

Probably soon to become the “former #1 team in the country”

Pharm Frog

Picky, picky.:) We have W's over the #1 team (USC) and the #4 team (Baylor). Just because they're going to have their rankings changed (Baylor could be #2) on Wednesday doesn't alter that.

I agree. And even more so because it was the indoor nationals and not based on some pre-season rating like when a football team beats the perennial pre-season Top 10 Texas Longhorns.

Longfrog

Wow, what a win! Did my best to not look (too much) at the results during church. We wrapped with Gray serving 2-4 in the 3rd, just in time for me to see the incredible comeback. Tell me that's not divine providence.

I know Jong lost today but our top 3 takes a back seat to no one. We had some disappointing near misses but we are so close. Win a few more doubles points, get healthy at the bottom of the order, and I'll take our chances against anyone.