• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU QB outlook for 2021: Can Max Duggan take the next step as a passer?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: TCU QB outlook for 2021: Can Max Duggan take the next step as a passer?

By Katherine G Griffith

Veteran quarterback Max Duggan has won over the hearts of TCU fans — most of the time. He started nine of 10 games in 2020, putting up impressive numbers when running the ball. Duggan led the Horned Frogs in rushing yards (526) and rushing touchdowns (10).

While he was successful running the ball, Duggan’s ability to throw downfield was questionable at times. He finished the season with a 60.8% completion rate, totaling 1,795 yards through the air with 10 touchdowns and four interceptions. Duggan was most successful as a passer in the season opener against Iowa State, completing 16 of 19 pass attempts. But he also had three performances in the second half of the season in which he completed less than half of his attempts, including a 3-for-11 outing against Kansas (all three completions, however, went for touchdowns).

TCU has restocked its quarterback depth chart with young talent. Here’s an outlook at the team’s quarterbacks for 2021:

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...an-max-duggan-take-the-next-step-as-a-passer/

Limp Lizard

A lot depends on Kenny. And the offensive staff. Duggan has a lot more talent than Kenny, but ability to play a position and to coach it are two very different things. We will see.

I may be wrong, but I feel much more optimistic with Cumbie gone. But only the season will show us.

Palliative Care

I for one underappreciated Kenny when he was a quarterback for us. I think that his technical skills were what we missed the most after he was gone. We will see what he is able to accomplish with Duggan.

JockO de Frog

I'm not convinced Max will ever be that great a passer but I think he can be effective enough. The WRs have to be better though. I didn't see one single player, including QJ who could get off of man press coverage. The group as a whole was pretty poor at running any rout other than a vertical.
This^^^

4th. down

A lot depends on Kenny. And the offensive staff. Duggan has a lot more talent than Kenny, but ability to play a position and to coach it are two very different things. We will see.

I may be wrong, but I feel much more optimistic with Cumbie gone. But only the season will show us.

Limp, I feel likewise on the vacancy of Sonny. Too many chiefs and egos to deal with. It should smooth out with Kenny in there now but where he has to shine is in recruiting because that was the only thing I thought Sonny did that was good. We've got to have that QB talent and with the freshmen and transfers coming in. believe we are in our best position in a long time.

Eight

Limp, I feel likewise on the vacancy of Sonny. Too many chiefs and egos to deal with. It should smooth out with Kenny in there now but where he has to shine is in recruiting because that was the only thing I thought Sonny did that was good. We've got to have that QB talent and with the freshmen and transfers coming in. believe we are in our best position in a long time.

agree that frogs need kenny to be a strong recruiter at multiple positions, but right now i do believe the biggest concern about the quarterback position is not recruiting, but what froggish mentioned above

max has to develop into a consistent, effective thrower and that paired with a better offensive line, improvement in the receivers, never seeing the wild frog with a walk on by the goal line, and remembering the most talent laden position on offensive is running back and i think the frogs can be a very effective offense

4th. down

agree that frogs need kenny to be a strong recruiter at multiple positions, but right now i do believe the biggest concern about the quarterback position is not recruiting, but what froggish mentioned above

max has to develop into a consistent, effective thrower and that paired with a better offensive line, improvement in the receivers, never seeing the wild frog with a walk on by the goal line, and remembering the most talent laden position on offensive is running back and i think the frogs can be a very effective offense

"never seeing the wild frog with a walk on by the goal line,"

I still don't know how this could possibly happen and I know for sure that my junior high team coach would never have done that.

Froggish

"never seeing the wild frog with a walk on by the goal line,"

I still don't know how this could possibly happen and I know for sure that my junior high team coach would never have done that.

Bad call...However that walk-on TE is being put in scholarship for this coming season and the staff is very high on him

4th. down

Bad call...However that walk-on TE is being put in scholarship for this coming season and the staff is very high on him

Yes, we have heard that he will be on ship but when you have Miller on the bench and as a HS QB and our 2nd. best RB, why not a run/pass option by him from the Wild Frog?

THIS is what really disturbs me going forward...Meach & Kill in attendance and they let this happen and GP didn't veto it. Disturbing to say the least, especially to think we can beat Riley following a thought process like this. Riley would just chuckle and think, what are these fools doing?

Eight

as i and others have said before that play was doomed not because of curtis, but how badly the offensive line got blown up.

the issue with curtis being the tailback in the formation is not only did you select him over miller who was a high school quarterback as 4th down points out, but barlow who is strong as a freaking bull and zach evans.

sorry, but if i need 2 yards and the first thought that comes to mind is that formation and a highly regarded walk on carrying the ball over that group of running backs something is very, very wrong

Froggish

Yes, we have heard that he will be on ship but when you have Miller on the bench and as a HS QB and our 2nd. best RB, why not a run/pass option by him from the Wild Frog?

THIS is what really disturbs me going forward...Meach & Kill in attendance and they let this happen and GP didn't veto it. Disturbing to say the least, especially to think we can beat Riley following a thought process like this. Riley would just chuckle and think, what are these fools doing?

Trust me..I'm not defending it. It was terrible on every level. As I've said plenty around here, Cumbie was one of the most unimaginative play callers I've ever seen...As for Doug, he's a cat trying to chase a mouse. If GP and Kill left him alone he'd mix in 15 gadget plays a game with another 25 screens and we'd still average 4.8 yards a pass play. I think we are better off with Doug but we are far from having an identity.

Big Frog II

This has probably been mentioned but between the medical issues and the pandemic Max has missed a lot of practice time. Hopefully he will have spring ball and summer camp to get more reps.
He had really no preseason to get ready. Add that and the fact he had no redshirt year and missed most of last spring's practice, he has been learning on the fly. He will improve.

4th. down

Play calling, route running and blocking might have more to do with issues in the passing game.

IMO, play calling more than anything else, then execution which would cover our receiver route running. Until proven otherwise, I think Kill is trying to bring somewhat of a calm over the offensive coaches room........Sonny was a great guy supposedly but I'm glad he's gone.

Froggish

IMO, play calling more than anything else, then execution which would cover our receiver route running. Until proven otherwise, I think Kill is trying to bring somewhat of a calm over the offensive coaches room........Sonny was a great guy supposedly but I'm glad he's gone.

I agree with you. Sonny by all accounts was a fantastic piece in the program but he wasn’t a play caller...Doug is frustrating in a whole different way.

An example would be against OU this past year where he kills a drive trying to run a halfback pass with Kendre Miller. He then gets cute later with a terrible reverse that gets blown up..I appreciate his aggressiveness but it generally comes out as the absolute worst moments of a game..

Eight

I agree with you. Sonny by all accounts was a fantastic piece in the program but he wasn’t a play caller...Doug is frustrating in a whole different way.

An example would be against OU this past year where he kills a drive trying to run a halfback pass with Kendre Miller. He then gets cute later with a terrible reverse that gets blown up..I appreciate his aggressiveness but it generally comes out as the absolute worst moments of a game..

i don't view the urge to call trick plays as being aggressive. not sure if it is adhd, the need to be the smartest guy in the room, or what but being aggressive can also take the form of taking your opponents will by physically pounding them or putting them in the impossible decision to stop the run and the pass instead of the slight of hand

4th. down

as i and others have said before that play was doomed not because of curtis, but how badly the offensive line got blown up.

the issue with curtis being the tailback in the formation is not only did you select him over miller who was a high school quarterback as 4th down points out, but barlow who is strong as a freaking bull and zach evans.

sorry, but if i need 2 yards and the first thought that comes to mind is that formation and a highly regarded walk on carrying the ball over that group of running backs something is very, very wrong

An interesting statement that we have all pondered but to really no avail. More than anything else, GP had his head set on and knew the call and didn't veto it and Kill is next to Meach on the sideline and we run the play. How, please, anyone, how are we going to beat Riley and Campbell with those type of offensive thoughts coming from the high brass even with our increased talent level?????