• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s recruiting class ranks near bottom of Big 12. Why Gary Patterson isn’t worried.

I don't really follow the recruiting stories and the individuals' stats that translate into stars, but this type evaluation of being at the bottom of the conference in this year's recruiting class seems to just be more ammunition for those who want to see Patterson move on/retire/write more songs/become a consultant or whatever would take him off the payroll....It's hard to be excited about the future with this type of evaluation and the defections through the black hole of transfer....And yes, I am a Frog fan....Always hope for a 2015/2017-type of season....2014 just won't occur again, I don't think.....
Not trying to be an ass: I’m genuinely curious as to which of the outgoing transfers you believe would have made a difference in the upcoming season

Horny4TCU

I'm sure UT usually has one of the top recruiting classes every year... and they never come back. I'll take our lower ranked classes and wins over UT any day.

Froggish

The combination of Boykin and Doctson was so rare that I just don't think the mathematic possibilities and the cosmos will ever align again for it to occur....For many reasons which I don't want to chase down the rabbit hole, we haven't been able to find either that skilled of a quarterback or that skilled of a receiver...not individually, and especially not in tandem with one another....That's why I think 2015 and 2017 are likely to be the pinnacle of teams of the future....

Honest question..How closely do you follow recruiting? I follow it very closely because just like you I understand what a critical component it is to how high a programs ceiling is and how low it’s floor can be. It’s easy to take a flash look at an article and get impatient and feel like we are falling behind. I want to assure you we are not. I bet you’d be surprised to know the following.

1. We have recruited better over the last 6 years than at any time in the programs modern history.
2. The current roster from top to bottom is considered at top 20 roster in the entire country.
3. There is a noticeable talent gap between TCU and the rest of the conference not named OU and UT

finally...All those things I said above are not my opinion. They are the opinion of the 3 major recruiting services 247, Rivals, and ESPN. We can complain that we need to recruit better but it pure stupidity to think we aren’t doing that already. There’s 6 years of data that proves it

Also..Recruiting doesn’t win championships but it allows you to win when your not playing your best. That’s ultimately why a team full of 4 stars is a lot better than a team full of 2 stars. Elite talent can survive let downs and still win. Don’t ring the absolute most out of that 2 star roster and you find yourself looking at 2 wins every year.

FrogCop19

The combination of Boykin and Doctson was so rare that I just don't think the mathematic possibilities and the cosmos will ever align again for it to occur....For many reasons which I don't want to chase down the rabbit hole, we haven't been able to find either that skilled of a quarterback or that skilled of a receiver...not individually, and especially not in tandem with one another....That's why I think 2015 and 2017 are likely to be the pinnacle of teams of the future....
It was special for sure, but I truly believe that Duggan and Johnston can become that. We potentially have three more years if I'm not mistaken, unless the portal or someone down on the depth chart come up, but Johnston is Doctson 2.0 as far as I'm concerned.