• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Ron Swanson

My wife’s cousin managed to turnover a SUV making a turn onto a 25 mph street.

She ended up going to Baylor

Where she also flipped over on her bike on campus
I saw a really hot chick fly over her handle bars and land on the sidewalk this afternoon. She immediately turned around to her friend and started cracking up.

I thought she might be legit injured, but to her credit she took it like a champ.

ftwfrog

When I was a tcu student I was running on the bellaire sidewalk outside the Greek/rec fields when I saw an eastbound/downhill jeep lose control and then roll over into the median. Hit one of those small trees. Thankfully driver was just fine.
I’ve gotten pulled over there twice. One time the motorcycle cop, let’s call him Ponch, pulled over me and another driver at the same time. Realizing he pulled over two of us he walked up to my window and I said, “Oh, you’re pulling over them?!”

“Yup. And you.”

He handed me the ticket and I drove .25 miles to Jim Lollar. The secretary was shocked it wasn’t in the system yet. “Yeah, I got it 3 mins ago” I told her.

Edit: not sure where I was going with any of that, but it brought back good memories of Jim Lollar’s office being the backbone to my young adulthood

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Well, I was able to get my first Corona Virus shot on Tuesday.

No significant side effects of any kind. Zero, zip, nada.

However, the pucker factor was elevated prior to getting the first shot. While waiting in line outside for my Shot 1 appointment, an EMS ambulance pulled up to one of the side doors of the building where the shots were being given. EMS crew immediately unloaded a stretcher, went inside, and returned with a patient on board. While they were loading that person into the ambulance, a different Fire Department EMS crew rolled up to the front doors of the building, and the crew members ran inside with all their medical gear in hand. After about 5 minutes, they came back outside and got in their truck and drove away. (EMS ambulance #1 is still parked on the side of the building assisting that patient.) No sooner had the second Fire crew left, a woman who was exiting the building after getting her shot fainted and collapsed as soon as she walked out the front door.

Lots of stares back and forth amongst the folks in line outside. There was a little less pep in anybody’s steps as we proceeded to walk into the building…and not any idle chit-chat in the crowd as we stood in the long lines for our turn for the needle.

One down, one to go on Feb 23rd.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
@tcudoc

For your Dad Joke collection:

Due to the quarantine, I'll only be telling inside jokes.

Now is not the right time to surround yourself with positive people.

Finland has just closed their borders. No one will be crossing the finnish line.

The World Health Organization has announced that dogs cannot contract COVID-19. Dogs previously held in quarantine can not be released. To be clear--WHO let the dogs out.

What do you call panic-buying of sausage and cheese in Germany? The Wurst Kase scenario.

The grocery stores in France look like tornadoes hit them. All that's left is de brie.

tcudoc

However, the pucker factor was elevated prior to getting the first shot. While waiting in line outside for my Shot 1 appointment, an EMS ambulance pulled up to one of the side doors of the building where the shots were being given. EMS crew immediately unloaded a stretcher, went inside, and returned with a patient on board. While they were loading that person into the ambulance, a different Fire Department EMS crew rolled up to the front doors of the building, and the crew members ran inside with all their medical gear in hand. After about 5 minutes, they came back outside and got in their truck and drove away. (EMS ambulance #1 is still parked on the side of the building assisting that patient.) No sooner had the second Fire crew left, a woman who was exiting the building after getting her shot fainted and collapsed as soon as she walked out the front door.

Lots of stares back and forth amongst the folks in line outside. There was a little less pep in anybody’s steps as we proceeded to walk into the building…and not any idle chit-chat in the crowd as we stood in the long lines for our turn for the needle.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ion-deaths-in-syria-who-idUSKBN0HE1B020140919

Maybe you got this crew giving your COVID vaccines...

A summary of the link:
In Syria, they were administering measles vaccines to small children. By mistake, they gave atracurium (a drug that is used in anesthesiology to paralyze skeletal muscles allowing surgeons better operating conditions) instead of the vaccine (they got the vials mixed up). It is described as a "muscle relaxant," but not like Soma or Flexeril. It is more aptly described as a neuromuscular blocker. It literally paralyzes all of your muscles and takes away your ability to breathe. It was a horrifying error that killed 15 small, otherwise healthy babies/kids.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)

Moderna or Pfizer?

Is one preferable to the other?
Maybe @Pharm Frog would know.

Pharm Frog

Moderna or Pfizer?

tenor.gif

Pharm Frog

Moderna or Pfizer?

At this point preference would basically become a matter of availability. I do have an opinion on the matter but it's really just that...and opinion and not founded on much more than my preferences relative to time to boost, injection volume, clinical trial design, and legacy of research, development, production, and distribution. To me these would tend to favor Pfizer but not in any meaningful clinical way from what we know at this point. Full disclosure: Once upon a time I did work for Pfizer although not in it's vaccine division but several of my former employees are over there presently. I think a more intriguing comparison will be between the Pfizer & Moderna vaccines and the Janssen option that is about ready to rock.

froginmn

Thanks for the kindness regarding my job change discussion. Had a couple discussions. My direct boss was cool and supported my request for the timing I requested. My director, who I had reported directly to for 15 years, was a bit harder to read. I've heard new employees who I introduced to him say they thought he doesn't like them; he can come across that way so not 100% sure what to make of my conversation. Oh well.

Might have also been the fact that I built the systems that made him look good all these years so he's sorry to see me go. Not too concerned either way. It was cordial if nothing else.

Talked to a top executive, whose response, in a word, was "[ #2020 ]". Had a good discussion with him and that helped reinforce the good I've done and the reason I'm leaving.

Lots of good words when I broke the news to my staff, which was most important to me. And best, when I spoke with my new employer to formally sign the offer, was told I gave one of the best interviews they've seen. That's huge to know I'm on the same page as them.

On to new pastures soon with a very good company. My regret is that MN restaurants are closed for at least four weeks, so not sure I'll have an option to go out for a farewell lunch.
Update on my job change.

After twenty years I had some apprehension about going somewhere else. Those fears went away very quickly. I have a good team and most importantly I love the new company and especially the culture. It's everything I expected it to be from the interview process. I'm going to be a good fit, and I'm so glad to have gotten away from the previous place, which had become an increasingly toxic environment.

Advice: if you're not happy in your job, don't be afraid to make a change. It's still good to plan that change (by staying a full twenty years I qualified for a separation package) and to not burn bridges, but it also feels good to be out.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
What are the odds on DFW being the metro area with the most accients involving overturned vehicles a year?

Cause I have seen more than my fair share just driving through Denton County.

I was wondering about that as well when I was driving south on 360 and took the new ramp to interstate 30 W. As I was cruising by that steep curving ramp I noticed all the roller coasters at Six Flags beyond and wondering how long it would be before some speedster came rolling up that curving ramp, got distracted by what was going on around them and then being blown over the side of the ramp Jersey barrier by wind & or combo excess speed, Black ice etc.