• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Semi-related to this thread:

For those who follow/understand neighborhood associations and/or real-estate—have all the new recent housing, condos, apartments & even the stealth dorm houses stabilized the off-campus housing “needs” of TCU students? Seems every time I do a drive by of campus there are more of the new stuff stretching from Fort God to Bluebonnet Circle and within neighborhoods between Berry & University. Thoughts?

ticketfrog123

For those who follow/understand neighborhood associations and/or real-estate—have all the new recent housing, condos, apartments & even the stealth dorm houses stabilized the off-campus housing “needs” of TCU students? Seems every time I do a drive by of campus there are more of the new stuff stretching from Fort God to Bluebonnet Circle and within neighborhoods between Berry & University. Thoughts?

the issue stemmed from TCU / admissions allegedly putting a cap on undergraduate enrollment but managing to increase freshman class every year.

last I heard freshman were living in the commons which was strictly sophomores / juniors in prior years.

to directly answer your question, I don’t think the problem has been solved as the Neeley expansion knocked out a few streets of off campus housing and I’m not aware of any new apartment buildings that popped up to offset.

have heard of some students living in clear fork now

HToady

i am a neighborhood representative for a neighborhood North of the University, and I meet with the City and TCU representatives quarterly to discuss local issues, most stemming from having college students living in the neighborhoods.
Most of the neighborhoods from around McCart to the East and South of Berry to University to the South are a lost cause, due to lack of attention to maintaining the proper zoning restrictions. The neighborhoods to the North and West have voraciously maintained and fought zoning restrictions, are essentially untouched by the massive building for college off campus housing. They continue to build in these areas and there are probably 4 or 5 new structures going up right now. Within the neighborhoods you also have poorly maintained older homes where students also live. I don't understand the attraction to these older homes except they must be cheaper. Why would you choose to live in a dump when nice new units are available? The only thing i can figure out is rules and cost.....
It does appear we are achieving over saturation, and that may be attributed to more upper class students living on campus and maybe classes from home due to covid. Fortunately a lot of the older homes go unrented, possibly because of this.

the issue stemmed from TCU / admissions allegedly putting a cap on undergraduate enrollment but managing to increase freshman class every year.

last I heard freshman were living in the commons which was strictly sophomores / juniors in prior years.

to directly answer your question, I don’t think the problem has been solved as the Neeley expansion knocked out a few streets of off campus housing and I’m not aware of any new apartment buildings that popped up to offset.

have heard of some students living in clear fork now
Clearfork is going nuts with new leases to students...had reps on campus at one point offering three mths free. When you annualize that, hard to beat. Especially with what you are around (class).

Eight

i am a neighborhood representative for a neighborhood North of the University, and I meet with the City and TCU representatives quarterly to discuss local issues, most stemming from having college students living in the neighborhoods.
Most of the neighborhoods from around McCart to the East and South of Berry to University to the South are a lost cause, due to lack of attention to maintaining the proper zoning restrictions. The neighborhoods to the North and West have voraciously maintained and fought zoning restrictions, are essentially untouched by the massive building for college off campus housing. They continue to build in these areas and there are probably 4 or 5 new structures going up right now. Within the neighborhoods you also have poorly maintained older homes where students also live. I don't understand the attraction to these older homes except they must be cheaper. Why would you choose to live in a dump when nice new units are available? The only thing i can figure out is rules and cost.....
It does appear we are achieving over saturation, and that may be attributed to more upper class students living on campus and maybe classes from home due to covid. Fortunately a lot of the older homes go unrented, possibly because of this.

"Why would you choose to live in a dump when nice new units are available? The only thing i can figure out is rules and cost....."

son and daughter lived in some houses during their college years that i would swear were only being held together by the paint on the walls for these two reasons with the first one being a big issue.

ticketfrog123

"Why would you choose to live in a dump when nice new units are available? The only thing i can figure out is rules and cost....."

son and daughter lived in some houses during their college years that i would swear were only being held together by the paint on the walls for these two reasons with the first one being a big issue.

what year was this? In the past decade, off-campus apartments like GrandMarc and Edge 55 were $700-900/month per person.

the guys i knew in questionable homes were still paying like $500/month but the ability to host parties was crucial for them

Eight

what year was this? In the past decade, off-campus apartments like GrandMarc and Edge 55 were $700-900/month per person.

the guys i knew in questionable homes were still paying like $500/month but the ability to host parties was crucial for them

neither went to tcu, got more money to attend elsewhere and there were a few other reasons. one went to ou and another acu, houses off campus were cheap, and not being limited was important.

besides, i think it is good for kids to live in [ Finebaum ] holes during college, but i also think working during college is also a good thing so what do i know i guess.

Realtorfrog

With the unknown of what classes will look like in the fall the rental house market is really struggling this spring...... but on average you can expect to get about $1,000 per room around the campus.

Brog

With the unknown of what classes will look like in the fall the rental house market is really struggling this spring...... but on average you can expect to get about $1,000 per room around the campus.

Interesting. But not sure, does this mean per semester, per month, or whole year?

HFrog1999

I lived in a loft in the Park Ridge Apartments right next to the railroad tracks. I think my rent was about $275/month.

480573816a673b1232e48738c0a6c202.jpg

SuperBarrFrog

We paid $670 a month for a 3 bedroom 2 Bath at Westcliffe Manor in 2001. I believe my portion of the rent was $212. Roommate the gigantic master and his own bathroom paid 250. Wonder if students still live There or if it’s too crappy for the students nowadays?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
We paid $670 a month for a 3 bedroom 2 Bath at Westcliffe Manor in 2001. I believe my portion of the rent was $212. Roommate the gigantic master and his own bathroom paid 250. Wonder if students still live There or if it’s too crappy for the students nowadays?
Ah, the Westcliffe Manor. The true Roach Motel. Lived there in the early 80's in a 3/2 and it seems like that was about what I paid for rent. Of course, we were given a break on the rent one Spring because the A/C pipes all froze in January and had to be dug up and replaced.