• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s recruiting class ranks near bottom of Big 12. Why Gary Patterson isn’t worried.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU’s recruiting class ranks near bottom of Big 12. Why Gary Patterson isn’t worried.

BY DREW DAVISON

TCU’s 2021 recruiting class is among the worst in years for Gary Patterson. At least based off an initial reading of the recruiting rankings by 247Sports.

The Horned Frogs have the 61st-ranked class in the nation, and the ninth-rated class in the 10-team Big 12. That’s the lowest national ranking for the Frogs since 2008.

Fortunately for Patterson, he’s never gotten too caught up in the rankings. And he says this year’s ranking is somewhat misleading.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article248952299.html

Froginbedford

I don't really follow the recruiting stories and the individuals' stats that translate into stars, but this type evaluation of being at the bottom of the conference in this year's recruiting class seems to just be more ammunition for those who want to see Patterson move on/retire/write more songs/become a consultant or whatever would take him off the payroll....It's hard to be excited about the future with this type of evaluation and the defections through the black hole of transfer....And yes, I am a Frog fan....Always hope for a 2015/2017-type of season....2014 just won't occur again, I don't think.....

Froggish

Class Recruiting rankings are based on volume. If team 1 takes 25 3 star
players and team 2 only has 15 scholarship to give so he takes a mix of 3star and 4 Star guys, the class rankers will say Team 1 had the higher class but the reality is there is much higher quality players in team 2s class.

I’ll also point out that we signed 2 4 star players that aren’t being included in the rankings because they were 2020 grads not 2021..We were once again near the top of the league if you properly count those 2.

All things aren’t created equal in the recruiting rankings game. That’s why team talent composites and avg grade per recruit are a much better way to evaluate how good a team did on signing day.

People who are crapping on this class are uneducated in regard to how the rankings work.

Eight

Class Recruiting rankings are based on volume. If team 1 takes 25 3 star
players and team 2 only has 15 scholarship to give so he takes a mix of 3star and 4 Star guys, the class rankers will say Team 1 had the higher class but the reality is there is much higher quality players in team 2s class.

I’ll also point out that we signed 2 4 star players that aren’t being included in the rankings because they were 2020 grads not 2021..We were once again near the top of the league if you properly count those 2.

All things aren’t created equal in the recruiting rankings game. That’s why team talent composites and avg grade per recruit are a much better way to evaluate how good a team did on signing day.

People who are crapping on this class are uneducated in regard to how the rankings work.

agree and the other big factor that i don't recall many of the authors of these type of articles mention if on paper a class has tried to address a positional need.

easy example is tcu had one tight end returning for next year and they have brought in two freshmen prospects as well as a grad transfer.

we don't know if or how big an impact the three will have next fall, but if tcu had not brought in any of them and instead brought in 3 4-star recruits at say wide receiver and running back the class would have been given a ratings bump but the hole at tight end wouldn't have been addressed by the staff

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I have never cared about how our classes are ranked, at least not since the Fran era began. Nothing about those rankings have translated to what transpired on the field. That includes some highly-ranked classes that turned out to be not as good as their paper resumés.

notyalc

... brought in 3 4-star recruits at say wide receiver and running back the class would have been given a ratings bump but the hole at tight end wouldn't have been addressed by the staff

Spot on. Blue blood programs make grocery list of needs and fill holes with 4 star talent to build high quality depth - year in and year out. We still end up in a pinch at positions of need. So I guess the question is how well do you fill the holes?

Froginbedford

Why do you think this?

The combination of Boykin and Doctson was so rare that I just don't think the mathematic possibilities and the cosmos will ever align again for it to occur....For many reasons which I don't want to chase down the rabbit hole, we haven't been able to find either that skilled of a quarterback or that skilled of a receiver...not individually, and especially not in tandem with one another....That's why I think 2015 and 2017 are likely to be the pinnacle of teams of the future....

Moose Stuff

I don't really follow the recruiting stories and the individuals' stats that translate into stars, but this type evaluation of being at the bottom of the conference in this year's recruiting class seems to just be more ammunition for those who want to see Patterson move on/retire/write more songs/become a consultant or whatever would take him off the payroll....It's hard to be excited about the future with this type of evaluation and the defections through the black hole of transfer....And yes, I am a Frog fan....Always hope for a 2015/2017-type of season....2014 just won't occur again, I don't think.....

You should have stopped typing after 6 words.