• The KillerFrogs

NFL Playoffs. Conference Championships. NFC/AFC.

jake102

So the question now is whether Mahomes ends up as the GOAT. Feels extremely likely he wins his 2nd Super Bowl this year and he’s like 25 or something. That being said I assume the Chiefs super roster blows up at some point

CountryFrog

So the question now is whether Mahomes ends up as the GOAT. Feels extremely likely he wins his 2nd Super Bowl this year and he’s like 25 or something. That being said I assume the Chiefs super roster blows up at some point
I'd already put him as the most talented of all time. He'll need about 5 or 6 more years of doing this before he can be in the discussion of greatest of all time imo.

Chiefs are obviously the favorite and I think they'll win but if Brady does get another one and he does it against Mahomes then there may be no catching him ever.

jake102

Series is tied 2-2 Mahomes v Brady.

Brady with 6td/5int vs Mahomes 11/3 in those 4 games.

Should be a helluva chess match.

The conversation will be about the QBs, but the entire game will be whether TB defense can slow Kelce and Hill. The Bills game plan was terrible, although it’s hard when KC has the best OL in the NFL

Wexahu

He has a long, long, long way to go before he catches Brady. Obviously.

And about that last point, yes, that is going to happen. Mahomes is counting $5.4M against the cap this year. That goes up to $25M next year, $31.5M in 2022, and $42.5M in 2023. It's a good contract for the Chiefs, but this is definitely their best window for winning.

jake102

And about that last point, yes, that is going to happen. Mahomes is counting $5.4M against the cap this year. That goes up to $25M next year, $31.5M in 2022, and $42.5M in 2023. It's a good contract for the Chiefs, but this is definitely their best window for winning.

And yes, I was just about to look at their cap structure and see how they have 5 superstars/allstars (Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Clark, Fisher). About as close to an NBA superteam as you can get in NFL

Eight

And yes, I was just about to look at their cap structure and see how they have 5 superstars/allstars (Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Clark, Fisher). About as close to an NBA superteam as you can get in NFL

things are going to get really tricky for the chiefs after the 2021 and 2022 seasons

curious on a players who has opted out like niang. are they even working out with the team or are they completely away during this season?

CountryFrog

The conversation will be about the QBs, but the entire game will be whether TB defense can slow Kelce and Hill. The Bills game plan was terrible, although it’s hard when KC has the best OL in the NFL
They don't currently have the best OL with both of their tackles out. But Mahomes is about as good as it gets at handling pressure and the Chiefs do a lot of things with the fly sweep action to help somewhat slow down edge rushers.

jake102

They don't currently have the best OL with both of their tackles out. But Mahomes is about as good as it gets at handling pressure and the Chiefs do a lot of things with the fly sweep action to help somewhat slow down edge rushers.

Didn't realize Fisher busted ACL last night

FBallFan123

Yep, QB contracts being what they are, the best windows for teams to win are usually early when QB’s are on rookie contracts....unless they get a really team-friendly deal.

Kinda seen that with Russell Wilson and the Seahawks...made it to Super Bowls in ‘13 and ‘14 and haven’t been back since.

That makes it crucial for teams like the Chargers (Justin Herbert) and Jaguars (presumably Trevor Lawrence) to get the most out of their early years.

It also makes what the Texas did with Deshaun Watson look like such a failure.

Gonna be fascinating to see where he ends up.

Mahomes is a generational talent and Andy Reid is great coach ... so I expect he’ll make it back to Chanpionship Games and Super Bowls ... but perhaps not worth the frequency he has the last 2-3 years.

(It’s crazy that Tom Brady has as many NFC Championships as Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees.)

Last edited:

Wexahu

Yep, QB contracts being what they are, the best windows to win are usually early when QB’s are on rookie contracts....unless they get a really team-friendly deal.

Kinda seen that with Russell Wilson and the Seahawks...made it to Super Bowls in ‘13 and ‘14 and haven’t been back since.

That makes it crucial for teams like the Chargers (Justin Herbert) and Jaguars (presumably Trevor Lawrence) to get the most out of their early years.

It also makes what the Texas did with Deshaun Watson look like such a failure.

But Mahomes is a generational talent and Andy Reid is great coach ... so I expect him to have better mid-career team success than Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers.

(It’s crazy that Brady had now won as many NFC Championships as Aaron Rodgers.)

Teams that have a QB in the Top 5 of the pay scale don't have a very good record of winning Super Bowls....at all. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't deal. You are right, teams have to take advantage of those rookie contract years, after that it gets awfully tough to build around the QB.

CountryFrog

Teams that have a QB in the Top 5 of the pay scale don't have a very good record of winning Super Bowls....at all. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't deal. You are right, teams have to take advantage of those rookie contract years, after that it gets awfully tough to build around the QB.
It will be interesting to see if KC can buck that trend with a QB who is historically great in his prime and actually the deal could become fairly team friendly 4 or 5 years down the road depending on where the cap goes.

I think they have to keep Kelce and then try to draft WR's who can stretch the field. I'd be willing to let Hill walk away in free agency since you aren't going to be able to keep them all.

Eight

It will be interesting to see if KC can buck that trend with a QB who is historically great in his prime and actually the deal could become fairly team friendly 4 or 5 years down the road depending on where the cap goes.

I think they have to keep Kelce and then try to draft WR's who can stretch the field. I'd be willing to let Hill walk away in free agency since you aren't going to be able to keep them all.

mahomes cap hit is 5.3 M right now, but that jumps to 24.8M in 2021, 31.4 in 2022, 42.4M in 2023 and just under 40M in 2024.

that is a big jump and with the potential for the total cap to go down with the drop in revenues it could be really tough to keep some of the other pieces on that team that will be coming up in 2021 and 2022

Wexahu

mahomes cap hit is 5.3 M right now, but that jumps to 24.8M in 2021, 31.4 in 2022, 42.4M in 2023 and just under 40M in 2024.

that is a big jump and with the potential for the total cap to go down with the drop in revenues it could be really tough to keep some of the other pieces on that team that will be coming up in 2021 and 2022

Interesting stat I thought......Matt Stafford has made $30,000,000 more than Brady over the past 12 years. And about 8 of those years were when Brady was in his absolute prime.

LeagueCityFrog

Mahomes told his agent to make it work last contract so he could keep his key weapons like Tyreek Hill. Mahomes makes so much money on advertising he can afford to take a lower salary when the time comes. He made it publicly known that he would rather when championships then suck all the money down.