• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Signs point toward Doug Meacham becoming TCU football’s new offensive coordinator

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Serious question. Would it be awful to go back to the style of offense TCU ran in its Rose Bowl season?
Do you really want to see the SSO again? A lot?

It wasn't necessarily the offense we ran, it was the fact that we had 1.) An excellent QB, 2.) Receivers who a.) Ran the right routes, and, b.) Caught the damned ball, 3.) An offensive line anchored by the Rimington Trophy Award winner, who knocked people on their ass and opened big holes for, 4.) A talented set of RBs.

As many have pointed out, if you have good players executing the offense as it should be executed with timing and confidence, then a team could run single-wing and be successful. We haven't had a lick of cohesion until the last couple of games this season. 2016, 2018, 2019 were goat rodeos.

CountryFrog

Assuming not, and also assuming given the recruiting pedigrees individually and collectively among them and the rest of the assembled staff, they'll somehow manage to scrape together some decent prospects. You think guys who can stack 4* and 5* talent one on top of another at Bama, can't significantly upgrade the recruiting at UT?
No actually. I don't believe they will SIGNIFICANTLY improve the recruiting in Austin.

This isn't the first time Alabama coaches have left for some other jobs. The results have mostly been parallel to former Patriots coaches who leave New England. The idea that they did it at Bama and so they can do it somewhere else is not true nor is the idea that people are "learning from Saban" and becoming great coaches themselves just because they worked in the same building for a couple years.

And with Sark we don't even have to guess. We've already seen him be average in 2 different spots as a HC. He didn't become a great coach through osmosis just because he stood next to Saban on the sideline.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
No actually. I don't believe they will SIGNIFICANTLY improve the recruiting in Austin.

This isn't the first time Alabama coaches have left for some other jobs. The results have mostly been parallel to former Patriots coaches who leave New England. The idea that they did it at Bama and so they can do it somewhere else is not true nor is the idea that people are "learning from Saban" and becoming great coaches themselves just because they worked in the same building for a couple years.
Roll to save vs. Matt Patricia (Confusion, Enchantment)

2D10. 2.) Team wanders about through the Season bereft of identity or purpose. Lose all games. Enraged fan base. House burned to ground. Belongings found piled up outside Team Offices with sprinklers running on them. Security informs you that you are fired. (Roll to save vs. Starvation)
3-7.) Team recognizes leather object, remembers the name 'football' for long periods during Season. Win two games through sheer ineptitude of opponents. Deeply sullen fan base. House lawn poisoned with RoundUp. Chair in office literally on fire.
8-14.) Team performs within the envelope normally reserved for early draft picks. Grinding mediocrity. Win 4 games through combination of opponents ineptitude and strange incidences of good play. Merely sullen fan base. Chair in office hot, but not smoking.
15-19.) Team performs with basic abilities. Sometimes looking as if they know what they are doing. Win 6 games. Sullen fan base. Chair in office warm.
20.) Win 8 games.

One Frog Nation

Great............... TCU will pass the ball 65 times a game. Even on 1st and Goal from the 1.

Terrific.....................
Well, if will be good if some of them are actually thrown beyond the line of scrimmage and then completed. You know, like other teams. Bubble screens should be once or twice a game not one a series.

PurpleBlood87

It wasn't necessarily the offense we ran, it was the fact that we had 1.) An excellent QB, 2.) Receivers who a.) Ran the right routes, and, b.) Caught the damned ball, 3.) An offensive line anchored by the Rimington Trophy Award winner, who knocked people on their ass and opened big holes for, 4.) A talented set of RBs.

As many have pointed out, if you have good players executing the offense as it should be executed with timing and confidence, then a team could run single-wing and be successful. We haven't had a lick of cohesion until the last couple of games this season. 2016, 2018, 2019 were goat rodeos.

I'd rather see the SSO and the way they ran goal line plays back then than the goal line plays currently used.

Froggish

You guys realize that Kill isn’t a official assistant? He’s not allowed to talk into a headset on game day. He can only listen and that’s why his headset doesn’t have a mouthpiece. Putting him in the booth wouldn’t help anyone.

4th. down

Telling it like it is.....no Frog could refute this and it doesn't have to be that way either......."goat rodeos" is applicable but will it change?

Eight

And with Sark we don't even have to guess. We've already seen him be average in 2 different spots as a HC. He didn't become a great coach through osmosis just because he stood next to Saban on the sideline.

so, where do i mention kirby smart and uga's recruiting since he became head coach?

6th, 6th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, and 3rd and those are in the nation and not in the sec, but keep on with your patriot analogy

Froggish

Telling it like it is.....no Frog could refute this and it doesn't have to be that way either......."goat rodeos" is applicable but will it change?

It won’t change under GP for the same reason that Gundy and OkSt only fields a decent defense about once every 5 years. Most CFB teams are a function of the strengths and perspectives of their HCs. The game has decidedly become offensive because the vast majority of HCs come from OC backgrounds. It is what it is. If and when GP retires maybe we’ll swing the other way to a Off HC and start complaining about not being able to stop anyone

Punter1

you have a problem with a walk on in the wild cat when you have four talented running backs on the sideline?

actually i have no issue with running the same play multiple times as long as it is well designed, well blocked, and makes sense for the situation.

If all we ever ran was some sort of zone read with Max and ZE...I would be happy.

Taking Max off the field or splitting him out while we run WildFrog makes the defenses job easier... Basically eliminating the pass.

I have no clue why (actually I do, because we are trying to be cute) we would EVER run WildFrog as long as Max is our QB. He just runs too well and is too tough to take him off short yardage plays.

helcap

so, where do i mention kirby smart and uga's recruiting since he became head coach?

6th, 6th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, and 3rd and those are in the nation and not in the sec, but keep on with your patriot analogy
They were 8th and 6th the two years before he became coach. I guess it depends how one defines SIGNIFICANTLY

4th. down

If all we ever ran was some sort of zone read with Max and ZE...I would be happy.

Taking Max off the field or splitting him out while we run WildFrog makes the defenses job easier... Basically eliminating the pass.

I have no clue why (actually I do, because we are trying to be cute) we would EVER run WildFrog as long as Max is our QB. He just runs too well and is too tough to take him off short yardage plays.

Max is not a pro type pocket passer with our offensive line and now that Storment is leaving, let's drastically reduce the 5 wide and reduce the 4 wide some. Roll him out, 1 or 2 backs, faking, option pitch or pass.....the LBs have to respect the fake into the line and the corner hesitates for a moment as Max rolls because he knows what Max can do with his wheels giving QJ just enough space to go deep. Max has the quickest and highest acceleration of any QB in the GP era.......go to his strengths.

More 5 wide and keeping Max in the pocket and we are going to be disappointed and hopefully he doesn't get hurt seriously.

Punter1

Max is not a pro type pocket passer with our offensive line and now that Storment is leaving, let's drastically reduce the 5 wide and reduce the 4 wide some. Roll him out, 1 or 2 backs, faking, option pitch or pass.....the LBs have to respect the fake into the line and the corner hesitates for a moment as Max rolls because he knows what Max can do with his wheels giving QJ just enough space to go deep. Max has the quickest and highest acceleration of any QB in the GP era.......go to his strengths.

More 5 wide and keeping Max in the pocket and we are going to be disappointed and hopefully he doesn't get hurt seriously.

I agree...Id love to see some 2 TE, 2 RB sets with Q on the outside basically manned up after we've run it down their throats for a couple quarters. Unfortunately we dam near have zero TEs that the defense will respect...

I wish we would bulk up Savion and put him at HBack...he looks 215ish now. At 230 he would be a beast and a matchup nightmare...and an almost lock for the NFL.

OICU812

Lol ironic AF using Belichick(36-44 HC his first 5 NFL seasons) while trying to argue Sark can't learn and improve as a HC..

CountryFrog

Actually I feel like that goes right along with the Patriots analogy. MOST of the coaches who have left there have failed and many have failed miserably. But early returns on Flores in Miami are extremely encouraging just as early returns on Smart are great.

In summary, I believe that good coaches are good coaches wherever they are while not so good coaches can be made to look good if in a Saban/Belichek type of environment. There are undoubtedly really good coaches who have worked for those guys. I think Smart is a really good coach and his success is a result of him being a good coach and not a result of him working for Saban.

I don't dispute the notion that good head coaches can come out of the Saban/Belichek tree. I dispute the notion that the coaches are good simply because they come from the Saban/Belichek tree.