• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

tcudoc

The Pop Shoppe we went to was in Euless right by Trinity High School on 157. I think it lasted maybe a couple of years. Not very long.
Rondo was pretty popular in the Hurst Euless Bedford area when I was in Elementary school. Must have been mid to late 70’s.

Does anyone recall a seafood restaurant named Zuider Zee? Just happened to recall that place as a distant memory. I used to love getting fried shrimp and hush puppies as a kid. Seems like it was in Richland Hills or Haltom City near The old Birdville ISD Stadium or that mall that became Thrift Town, but I can’t recall.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

The Pop Shoppe we went to was in Euless right by Trinity High School on 157. I think it lasted maybe a couple of years. Not very long.
Rondo was pretty popular in the Hurst Euless Bedford area when I was in Elementary school. Must have been mid to late 70’s.

Does anyone recall a seafood restynamed Zuider Zee? Just happened to recall that place as a distant memory. I used to love getting fried shrimp and hush puppies as a kid. Seems like it was in Richland Hills or Haltom City near The old Birdville ISD Stadium or that mall that became Thrift Town, but I can’t recall.

It was on Grapevine Highway in the shopping center with Richland Bowl. There was another in chicotsky square on the west side and I think another in Arlington. Also, same family owned the Martin’s “Edition” chain of seafood restaurants around town. Best hush puppies ever.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Does anyone recall a seafood restynamed Zuider Zee? Just happened to recall that place as a distant memory. I used to love getting fried shrimp and hush puppies as a kid. Seems like it was in Richland Hills or Haltom City near The old Birdville ISD Stadium or that mall that became Thrift Town, but I can’t recall.

s-l400.jpg

Salfrog

Tier 1
Bill Martin's was great back in the days. There was one between McCart & Sycamore School on the access road off 35W before it moved down to Burleson. Wasn't a very big place, but was good food.

I've been to both the restaurant and the actual Zuider Zee (in the Netherlands)
#humblebrag

tcudoc

I did not previously realize Bill Martin's and Zuider Zee had the same owners. That explains why both had the hushpuppies that were mentioned. Those things were like crack. When I was a kid, we would eat basket after basket of those things. A big dinner out in my family was to drive from Hurst over to Lancaster off of 820 to go to Bill Martin's 3rd Edition. Then, there was a Bill Martin's that opened briefly in Hurst off of Grapevine Hwy in the Mayfair Shopping Center. Zuider Zee I remember as a smaller, less formal type of place, but still with really good food.
Does anyone know any place that still serves hushpuppies like those places had? Seems everyone has gone to the greasy cornbread ball type of hushpuppies.

Purp

I remember Zuider Zee growing up in Duncanville. That was out family's favorite place for catfish, IIRC. Seemed like it took forever to get to by car. I was in elementary school so I've got no idea which one we used to frequent. I do remember liking the place, though.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I did not previously realize Bill Martin's and Zuider Zee had the same owners. That explains why both had the hushpuppies that were mentioned. Those things were like crack. When I was a kid, we would eat basket after basket of those things. A big dinner out in my family was to drive from Hurst over to Lancaster off of 820 to go to Bill Martin's 3rd Edition. Then, there was a Bill Martin's that opened briefly in Hurst off of Grapevine Hwy in the Mayfair Shopping Center. Zuider Zee I remember as a smaller, less formal type of place, but still with really good food.
Does anyone know any place that still serves hushpuppies like those places had? Seems everyone has gone to the greasy cornbread ball type of hushpuppies.

Ask the cook in your house to make some:

Off the Booze & On the Needle, Zuider Zee style hushpuppy recipe hacked The... (tumblr.com)

Used to be a place called catfish cabin in near the original Arlington Stadium. My family used to go sometimes before/after games -- when the Rangers first showed up. 11 year old me thought it was pretty damn good fried catfish and hush puppies.