• The KillerFrogs

Kenny Hill QB Coach (?)

Spike

Everybody running through here shouting "it's impossible for your run game to improve AND your competition to be lesser, simultaneously!" Plus I guess OSU is in that "crappy opponent" group?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nobody gave you permission to come on here spouting facts or logic. I order you you to give $10 to the #bansteel fund. Now back to your plastic robots!

Spike

I wonder what people would say about our season if the K St game was a blowout TCU win and the the UT game was a close loss.

Beating UT raises the expectations. What you just described is logically more what should have happened. Beating UT with some pro Frog officiating and a turnover at the 1 has everyone believing we should be the 2nd best team in the conference.

HG73

They need to make it illegal for the ball carrier to be pushed by his teammates, and they need to start blowing the whistle when progress has stopped. Two no-brainer rules changes IMO. The others are stop the clock until the next play starts when a player goes OB, and don't stop the clock to move the chains on the first down. Let's get rid of officials constantly stopping and starting the clock for stupid reasons, and it's not managed even close to evenly throughout games anyway.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
They need to do everything possible to speed up the game. Games are way too long now. Why stop the clock on out of bounds?

Wexahu

They need to do everything possible to speed up the game. Games are way too long now. Why stop the clock on out of bounds?

Because the ball has always stopped in football when a player runs out of bounds. And I hate rules that are only enforced in certain times of the games. Surely you don't think the clock should keep running in the last minute of a game when a player runs out of bounds. I don't want less football. I just want them to stop the ridiculous practice of constantly stopping and restarting the clock on first down plays and out of bounds plays.

If they want to speed up the game, shorten the commercial breaks. That's really the only way to do it.

CountryFrog

Yes they have always stopped the clock on an out of bounds, but why?
Way back when these rules were put in place then the game was basically played between the numbers. So the thinking at the time was probably that when something went all the way out of bounds then it would take a little more time to get the ball set back up for the next play and since the actual game was being "held up" waiting for that then they should stop the clock until the ball got set back into position.

Same reasoning for incomplete passes and first downs. They all result in something a little extra needing to happen before the game could continue. The mechanisms of the game didn't happen nearly as fluidly as they do now so it probably all took a little longer than we're used to seeing for these things to happen.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Way back when these rules were put in place then the game was basically played between the numbers. So the thinking at the time was probably that when something went all the way out of bounds then it would take a little more time to get the ball set back up for the next play and since the actual game was being "held up" waiting for that then they should stop the clock until the ball got set back into position.

Same reasoning for incomplete passes and first downs. They all result in something a little extra needing to happen before the game could continue. The mechanisms of the game didn't happen nearly as fluidly as they do now so it probably all took a little longer than we're used to seeing for these things to happen.
To further this excellent point, the timing rules are so ingrained into the game that it is not fundamentally proper to go willy-nilly changing them to suit the desires of "saving time." Again, the things that take up the most time in a 4-hour broadcast are the damned commercials.

The Texas H.S. Championships were nice to watch, in that H.S. rules do not cater to TV. Sure, they packed halftime and quarter changes with crass and insipid advertising, and a timeout here and there, but they were for the most part a cleanly played game that lasted under two hours. Could College do this? Sure! The only issue is that TV money rules the game, and they therefore set the rules.

It is important to remember that these TV clowns are not stewards of the game. They could give a parboiled crap about the integrity of the game or anything like that. They only view football as content. Content can be anything, from the World's Strongest Midget or The Dog Agility World Championships. It's just a bridge between commercials, and the more viewers they get for that bridging, the more money they can charge for the ads.

With this fact in mind, consider that when you hear some network tool or Sportsradio tool say, "We've got to figure out a way to make games shorter! Why, that Pedo State-Transvestite U. game went four and a half hours last night! It cut into my Midget Olympics broadcast!" What they actually mean is "How can we cut the actual content and shoehorn in more commercials?"

HG73

Don't stop the clock on incomplete passes and out of bounds and the TV suits can run more commercials. Didn't they recently quit stopping the clock on out of bounds except for the last two minutes of the half and game?

They gotta speed up these games. I like midget.....movies.

FrogAbroad

What is this crowd thing you mention?
It's an old, old, concept on Stadium Drive, dating from the mid- to late 1950s. Originally a purple-clad throng, it gradually transitioned to red and burnt orange and blue as aficionados of razorbacks, steers and cougars realized they could buy prime viewing spots from the disaffected purple wearers. With the growth of other dynamic influences such as local professional sports, children's dance classes and social distancing/isolation "crowd" has become more of a memory than a common practice, and its revival is not likely due to the rising popularity of distance involvement.