• The KillerFrogs

OT:The Texas Rangers...the real ones

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
From the article...

“Since the inception of the Texas Rangers in 1823, the valiant law enforcement agency has adapted with the times, developing a more modern operation. Today its legacy has grown to one of the most effective investigative law enforcement agencies in the world. When Stephen F. Austin hired ten experienced frontiersmen to "range" over the territory of Texas, there were only approximately 700 people across the area....”

I’m descended from 2 of the 10 original members in the above-referenced group... Captain Abner Kuykendall and his son Captain Gibson Kuykendall (one of Gibson’s brothers was a 3rd member, Robert or William, I can’t remember).

I just named my son after Gibson. It’s his great great great great great grandfather.

Was the street in north Houston named after those Kuykendalls?

Ron Swanson

Was the street in north Houston named after those Kuykendalls?
We don’t know how that street got named.

Fun side note about Abner and his sons... Abner was stabbed in the back in a bar in San Felipe, TX in June of 1834. He died of lockjaw in July, and the guy who stabbed him was convicted of murder and sentenced to death by hanging. Abner’s sons dragged him out of the courthouse and hanged him in the street. It was the first legal execution in Texas.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

Fun side note about Abner and his sons... Abner was stabbed in the back in a bar in San Felipe, TX in June of 1834. He died of lockjaw in July, and the guy who stabbed him was convicted of murder and sentenced to death by hanging. Abner’s sons dragged him out of the courthouse and hanged him in the street. It was the first legal execution in Texas.
Hangings were generally a prompt action after a judgement.

Not far from Rancho Brewingfrog...

Hanging Tree

On the north courthouse lawn there is a tree called "The Hanging Tree." At various times between 1846 and 1870, this tree served as the site of court sessions. Death sentences pronounced by the court were carried out immediately with a rope and a strong limb. During the 1857 Cart War, in which Texan freighters perpetrated a series of vicious attacks against Mexican cart drivers along the Indianola-Goliad-San Antonio Road, this site witnessed a number of unauthorized lynchings before the conflict was brought to an end by Texas rangers. Approximately 70 men lost their lives during the conflict, some of them on this tree.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
road in harris county is spelt kuykendahl and not with double l's

All I remember is we pronounced it Kirkendall or dall. Wouldn't have known how it was spelled or spelt unless someone pointed it out, I just remembered the Kuyken part and wondered how we got Kirken out of it...

Eight

All I remember is we pronounced it Kirkendall or dall. Wouldn't have known how it was spelled or spelt unless someone pointed it out, I just remembered the Kuyken part and wondered how we got Kirken out of it...

truth be told, most of nw harris county can 't spell it and even fewer know how to pronounce it

Ron Swanson

It’s Dutch. The way I understand it, when they moved over from the Netherlands in (I believe) the 1600’s, they didn’t have last names like people in the states. They were doing the whole, “John, son of Mike” thing (or something like that). When they got off the boat, they were told they needed a surname cause that’s the way they do it over here.

They made up Kuykendall, which translates to either Church in the Valley or Chicken in the Valley, depending on who you ask. The original pronunciation was most definitely not the way we pronounce it now, but it got Americanized over the generations to something more palatable to the American tongue.

As a result, I know that I’m somehow related to everyone with the name, it’s just a matter of how far removed. The various spellings (Kuykendahl, Kirkendoll, etc...) were probably just mistakes made over the years. And I know slaves would often take the last names of their owners, and most didn’t have the ability to read or write, which would explain Kirkendoll since it’s the closest way to spell it to the way it sounds. There was a black UT football player a while back with that name.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
It’s Dutch. The way I understand it, when they moved over from the Netherlands in (I believe) the 1600’s, they didn’t have last names like people in the states. They were doing the whole, “John, son of Mike” thing (or something like that). When they got off the boat, they were told they needed a surname cause that’s the way they do it over here.

They made up Kuykendall, which translates to either Church in the Valley or Chicken in the Valley, depending on who you ask. The original pronunciation was most definitely not the way we pronounce it now, but it got Americanized over the generations to something more palatable to the American tongue.

As a result, I know that I’m somehow related to everyone with the name, it’s just a matter of how far removed. The various spellings (Kuykendahl, Kirkendoll, etc...) were probably just mistakes made over the years. And I know slaves would often take the last names of their owners, and most didn’t have the ability to read or write, which would explain Kirkendoll since it’s the closest way to spell it to the way it sounds. There was a black UT football player a while back with that name.

According to this below, the Dutch actually say Kirkendahl, at least to my ear.

https://forvo.com/word/kuykendall/

Eight

you have some debate about why the road is called kuykendahl road, but the one common theme is the origin of the name comes from the deutch families that settled in the klein/ tomball area

Paint It Purple

road in harris county is spelt kuykendahl and not with double l's

There’s numerous hanging trees still standing in Texas and several around town square courthouses. There’s a notable one on the southeast corner of the courthouse in Comanche.

tcudoc

There’s only two kinds of people I hate:
Those who are intolerant of other people’s culture...and the Dutch.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!

Insert Riggs:

"You made that up."

:)