• The KillerFrogs

Kenny Hill QB Coach (?)

Moose Stuff

They did not get better. The quality of competition severely declined. Baylor, TTU suck and KU should be competing for 5A Titles. If holding up against those powerhouses gives you amnesia from the first 5 games then fine, but I don't just forget things because the recent results are more favorable

You see what you want to see. They 100% improved. If you aren't able to identify that what they did against a decent defense in OSU was FAR better than what they did against an awful defense in KSU a couple months prior then that's on you for not being able to understand basic football.

Moose Stuff

Right, none of that goes to the 5 Star RB, 4 Star RB, extremely mobile QB, or inept passing game that makes running the only option.

Right or wrong, one phenomena I will never understand about TCU football: early-mid season struggles and frustration, followed by modest improvement toward the year which causes county wide amnesia and suddenly all the horrors when facing OU are forgotten. We then talk ourselves into the narrative that 7 bowl practices have allowed a guy to "turn the corner" and suddenly walk into the new year with stunning optimism. Bizarre

Solid post beyond the fact that nothing you wrote in your second paragraph applies to me

Eight

truly would like to think bendover is a troll because putting that much time and energy into something when the stats show otherwise would be a bit sad.

the one thing the frogs were able to do fairly consistently over the 10 game season was run the football and not just with max or the "5-star back"

no doubt, they struggled pass blocking, being outright bad in the first game, but i still think a good portion of that was a matter of scheme. the idea of the wide splits opened up lanes for the run game, but who thought the frogs' tackles could pass block on the islands they got put on with those wide splits and no help from a back or a h-back or a tight end.

consider for a moment that someone on the staff decided it would be a good idea for matthew downing to throw the ball 21 times in the first half alone against isu instead of forcing the run game and that isn't on the players or their execution but those who came up with the game plan and were calling the plays

the frogs five backs (barlow, miller, evans, demarcado, and foster) ran the ball this year 249 times, gained 1,502 yards, scored 11 td's and averaged just over 6 yards a carry

if you remove the la tech name those numbers fall some, but still indicate a healthy contribution as in 220 carries in the first 9 games the frogs 5 gained 1,187 yards, scored 7 td's, and average 5.4 ypc

here is what the frog 5 did over each game of the season

isu 16 carries, 77 yards, 4.8 ypc
texas 29 carries, 129 yards, 1 td, 4.4 ypc
ksu 20 carries, 103 yards, 1 td, 5.0 ypc
ou 15 carries, 54 yards, 1 td, 3.6 ypc
bay 29 carries, 227 yards, 2 td, 7.8 ypc
tech 26 carries, 121 yards, 4.6 ypc
wvu 20 carries, 104 yards, 5.0 ypc
ku 37 carries, 269 yards, 1 td, 7.3 ypc
osu 28 carries, 97 yards, 1 td, 3.5 ypc
latech 29 carries, 315 yards, 4 td, 10.9 ypc

do as you wish with those numbers bendover though i am sure you will make something up like your claim that garrett hayes left alot to be desired when he didn't play until the last two games of the year for covid reasons

the line did something right for the backs to post those numbers, the line did struggle badly at times early in pass blocking, but did get better

the line needs to get better, but there are bigger issues to me about this offense starting with a true identity, a scheme and plays built off that identity, and a tougher mindset but those are things for another thread

CountryFrog

truly would like to think bendover is a troll because putting that much time and energy into something when the stats show otherwise would be a bit sad.

the one thing the frogs were able to do fairly consistently over the 10 game season was run the football and not just with max or the "5-star back"

no doubt, they struggled pass blocking, being outright bad in the first game, but i still think a good portion of that was a matter of scheme. the idea of the wide splits opened up lanes for the run game, but who thought the frogs' tackles could pass block on the islands they got put on with those wide splits and no help from a back or a h-back or a tight end.

consider for a moment that someone on the staff decided it would be a good idea for matthew downing to throw the ball 21 times in the first half alone against isu instead of forcing the run game and that isn't on the players or their execution but those who came up with the game plan and were calling the plays

the frogs five backs (barlow, miller, evans, demarcado, and foster) ran the ball this year 249 times, gained 1,502 yards, scored 11 td's and averaged just over 6 yards a carry

if you remove the la tech name those numbers fall some, but still indicate a healthy contribution as in 220 carries in the first 9 games the frogs 5 gained 1,187 yards, scored 7 td's, and average 5.4 ypc

do as you wish with those numbers bendover though i am sure you will make something up like your claim that garrett hayes left alot to be desired when he didn't play until the last two games of the year for covid reasons

the line did something right for the backs to post those numbers, the line did struggle badly at times early in pass blocking, but did get better

the line needs to get better, but there are bigger issues to me about this offense starting with a true identity, a scheme and plays built off that identity, and a tougher mindset but those are things for another thread
Pretty good breakdown. But if you only look at all the plays where we gained 0 or negative yardage then the yards per carry doesn't look so hot so maybe bendover has a point.

1. Just because someone thinks differently than the consensus does not make him a "troll."
2. Thanks for literally proving my point- as the competition got easier, the line got better. That does not make them good, or even improved. But if you want to give Storment credit for handling some 18 year old from KU be my guest.

But sure, enjoy your likes

Further, literally who cares if the offensive line of a bad football team was good or bad. Just bizarre to claim 3 posts on the topic constitutes "all this time and effort" and to think someone would care enough to troll about that. Just a totally bizarre and borderline weird claim

kidkarr

One positive I see with the KH hire is that his job is just QB coach. Not sure how much it effected Sonny, but having to spend time game planning takes time from committing to developing your QBs. KH received quality coaching most his life and I’m sure he will do a solid job sharing that with his QBs. I’m cautiously excited.

Moose Stuff

We were fifth with losses to 6 and 7th in conference. how is that not bad given expectations and our recruiting edge over the doormat programs like Kansas and Baylor that own the 9 and 10 spot

We were 6-4 with wins over 2 teams that finished in top 25 in a year where expectations were pretty middling and that was before our QB had heart surgery. In no universe is that a bad team/year.

Froggish

Ive pointed this out before but in all 4 of our losses we got down early. Gave up the first TD and couldn’t respond. The effects of that on a run first (run only) football team is you are asked to operate in your weaknesses (passing). The reason why having balance and efficiency in your scheme is critical, is because you have to have another weapon in your bag to counter with. Football is a game of counterpunching and I haven’t seen us be able to do that. We never stop doing the same things over until we have no choice but to pull out prayers. At that point it’s to late to turn things around because we were trying to run things we’ve never successfully executed.