• The KillerFrogs

Realistic Basketball Coaching Candidates

LVH

REALISTIC WHO I THINK IS A GOOD COACH & WOULD BE A GOOD FIT
  • Brian Wardle, this is the guy I would call first. He has proven he can build two programs from the ground up and is a great Xs and Os coach that play fundamentally sound basketball.
  • Craig Smith, I think he is slighltly, very slightly, a peg below Brian Wardle, but has built the South Dakota program literally from the ground up and resurrected the Utah State program.
  • Russ Turner, I think he is ready for the big time. He has kept UC Irvine at the top of the Big West for the last 8 years. But, can he recruit Texas? He does like to play non conference games in this state for that reason.
  • Davey Richey, he did inherit a rising program from Niko Medved, but he is now in his 4th year and has kept Furman going strong and perhaps has even elevated them.
  • Grant McCasland, he is the only regional candidate on this list, but I wonder if the fanbase would appreciate the molasses slow pace that his teams run. However he took a North Texas program that was at rock bottom and has made them the best team in CUSA.

REALISTIC WHO I THINK IS A GOOD COACH BUT DONT THINK WOULD BE A QUESTIONABLE FIT

• Porter Moser, I think he is a great coach but I think he fits at LUC like a glove and would be another Jim Christian style hire who is a great X and O coach but not a good overall fit.
  • Mark Schmidt, I think he is an oustanding coach, but his system is based around recruiting Canada, which wouldn't work here, and also the Boston College job is his as soon as it opens
  • Joe Golding, I think he has done good things at Abilene Christian, but I don't think the fanbase would appreciate his style and one has to wonder if the Southland -> Big 12 would be too big of a jump
  • Casey Alexander, he wants to stay in Nashville. He could have chosen any job he wanted after 2019 and he chose Belmont.
  • Matt Langel, I think this guy will be a hot name in this decade at some point, but I think the Patriot League -> Big 12 jump would be a bit too big to take a gamble with
  • Darian Devries, a dark horse candidate, one has to wonder how much of his success is due to Niko Medved and only has 2 years of experience, but clearly is doing something right
  • Pat Kelsey, all this guy has done is win at Winthrop, BUT, he accepted the South Florida job a few years ago and it didn't work out, one has to wonder if he is staying at Winthrop for a reason
REALISTIC WHO I THINK IS A BAD COACH AND PEOPLE WILL NAME AS A CANDIDATE
  • Anthony Grant, there is a reason he failed at Alabama, he caught lightning in a bottle last year but I am never a fan of retread hires.
  • Travis Ford, his style works good in the Atlantic 10, but there is a reason he failed in the Big 12 already, because he is a horrible Xs and Os in game coach. He can recruit very well but not much else. I don't like retread hires. I also don't think coaches who have had questionable run ins with the NCAA in the past would be a good fit.
  • Ritchie McKay, I dont think he is necessarily a bad coach, but he would be a retread hire and is a bit too old. I'd look for someone younger with more energy
  • Kyle Keller, he has ridden Brad Underwood's coattails, yes they had a good 2018 and yes they had a good year last year but I would wait a tad longer before pulling the trigger on someone who inherited an already strong program and simply kept it going

UNREALISTIC WHO I THINK IS A GOOD COACH AND PEOPLE HERE WILL NAME AS A CANDIDATE

• Kelvin Sampson, he is content at Houston, why would he come here
  • Gregg Marshall, I think he would be a slam dunk hire, but the current SJW athletic department we have would not touch him
  • Brad Underwood, I just know people will throw his name out just because he coached at SFA even though he seems fine with a Top 10 program where he is right now

UNREALISTIC WHO I THINK IS A BAD COACH AND PEOPLE HERE WILL NAME AS A CANDIDATE

• Billy Gillispie, no
  • Rick Stansbury, if you want NCAA violations marring our program, get this guy from Western Kentucky
  • Rick Pitino, I have a feeling that people think that since he is at Iona he is itching to make the jump to any P5 job, but come on, lets not roll the dice with NCAA violation risks.

ftwfrog

I’ll admit, i don’t know much about the ranks of college basketball coaches, but to quote Major League, “who are these scheissin’ guys!?”

Francis Xavier

yeah this is hilarious. Save Pitino, and Maybe Marshall, I'd take Dixon over all of them. Last year will be when I make up my mind unless we keep losing by thirty a game. I don't think we will.

Eight

This is just another thread that shows we’ll most probably never have a good program. A guy takes the time to make a list and posters don’t care. It’s almost like people don’t give a ****.

Nice list actually LVH. Guys like Jerome Tang and Carlin Hartman should get a look too.

do you honestly believe the level of discussion on this thread is indicative of why tcu will never have a good program?

doubt anyone o this forum brought dixon to tcu, doubt anyone was adamant about the buyout and blocked his exit to ucla, and right now doubt anyone here has the stroke to pull the trigger on dixon

the problem is not the expectations of the posters on this forum because some of us have been told we are out of touch with what should be expected. the problem is the expectations of those who truly have the power, those in admin positions and those who are all too happy to live in a world of the nostalgia of having "one of our own" on the sideline versus hiring someone who can build a competitive program

Last edited:

CountryFrog

This is just another thread that shows we’ll most probably never have a good program. A guy takes the time to make a list and posters don’t care. It’s almost like people don’t give a ****.

Nice list actually LVH. Guys like Jerome Tang and Carlin Hartman should get a look too.
What do you think we're all supposed to do? Start collecting film on all of these coaches and comparing resumes to generate an informed discussion? Most people here (me included) have never even heard of 90% of those names.

Do you think Kansas has a really good program because of their fans level of knowledge on every single basketball coach in America?

ATC Frog

I know Grant McCasland from my time at Midwestern State. He was the head coach for both years I was in grad school there, the first of which I worked with the team. Great coach and a better person. He also ran a faster paced team at MSU than he apparently is doing at University of North Texas, so he knows how to coach that way.

only downside is that he’s a Baylor alumnus. He actually left MSU to be an assistant at Baylor before jumping to University of North Texas.