• The KillerFrogs

FIRE JAMIE DIXON TONIGHT

Wexahu

People were praising Donati last year for legally forcing him to stay. I argued at length with friends how that was a mistake. Dixon is an LA guy and has said his whole life his dream was to coach at UCLA the team he grew up loving. He finally got the offer in the twilight of his career and TCU crushed his dreams. We should have done a gentlemanly negotiation and let him leave. He’s gravy training us now.

Yep. We may not have outright legally forced him to stay, don’t know all the details, but there’s little doubt that he’d have rather left. Once you know that, let him go.

Big Frog II

Sadly last night was a disaster. Can't believe this is the same team that beat OSU on their home court. I knew with a lot of young but talented players that we would win some games we shouldn't and lose some we shouldn't, but this was horrifying.

Francis Xavier

People were praising Donati last year for legally forcing him to stay. I argued at length with friends how that was a mistake. Dixon is an LA guy and has said his whole life his dream was to coach at UCLA the team he grew up loving. He finally got the offer in the twilight of his career and TCU crushed his dreams. We should have done a gentlemanly negotiation and let him leave. He’s gravy training us now.
I couldn't have blamed him for wanting to go to UCLA. Cake conference, traditional blue blood, access to high level recruits and it is his home. I am starting to wonder now whether that was a great decision on our end, especially if he ends up getting canned within a season or two. But I don't think he is "not trying." We've won plenty of games against good teams we wouldn't have done 6 years ago.

MadFrog

I think Dixon needs to flush his assistant coaches first. They are at the lead in recruiting and they are doing a terrible job. They only recruit kids who can't shoot free throws and who are turnover prone. Seems like every recruit has these issues. Also seems like we are only getting leftovers. I also expect Miles to Portal Transfer soon. He is not used to losing. He is not used to getting embarrassed.

East Coast

Tier 1
Yep. We may not have outright legally forced him to stay, don’t know all the details, but there’s little doubt that he’d have rather left. Once you know that, let him go.
Correct, we were going to hold him to all or at least a substantial portion of his buyout, which he couldn't afford and UCLA was unwilling (or unable) to pay.

We should have let him walk when he tried to backdoor his way to UCLA. You want to go catch some swells, have at it pal. Instead we found some loophole to keep him around after he made it abundantly clear to his alma mater that we were his second choice. We have not made the tournament since and had a first round pick on the roster. Nice.

We haven't had an offensive gameplan, plan of attack, or creativity since he step foot on campus. High PNR with Alex Robinson was the only play we ran for 3 years. Now we just look like we have no idea where to go.

We need to shake up the assistants. There is no sport that places greater value on assistants than college basketball. Get fewer recruiters and more X's and O's guys, or simply one guy that can draw up a half court set.

Rose Bowl

There really seems to be only two scenarios to ponder.

If Dixon stays

I would think PJ will transfer because he just doesn’t fit in with what Jamie wants to do. The need for a true PG is glaring. The more I see Mike play the more I think he fits best off the ball and maybe he will grow into one but I’m not convinced. The problem I have with Jamie is his offense is stagnant and he doesn’t adjust to what his opponent is doing. If he wants to be a defensive team then he needs to recruit to that and emphasize defense in recruiting. The offense needs a big who can make a shot from 15 feet and Kevin can’t. Lack of athleticism is a problem too.

If Dixon leaves

I would take a close look at Ryan Miller. He is highly thought of as a good recruiter and is a top notch x’s & o’s guy who could be a terrific hire. If we look outside I would try to find someone with years of head coaching experience and has made multiple trips to the tourney. Someone like Steve Prohm is easy to find but we need to find someone way better than him.

Wexahu

If I remember right, Dixon's good teams at Pitt were very deliberate, had a really good, patient PG, some stout wing defenders, and a few big bruisers inside. Very structured, and rarely looked like they were in a hurry. I don't think they played any of this 1-in, 4-out NBA style offense that it looks like we try to play (although at times its really hard to tell).

It may be that his style of coaching and what he is good at doesn't mesh well with what he's trying to do here. Problem is, I'm not sure many high school players are clamoring to play the style that worked for him in the past.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Serious question...for the “let him walk” advocates...

If you let him walk without enforcing a substantial portion of the buyout, why have contracts if they only protect one party? I’m not saying we shouldn’t have let him go but at what cost?
IIRC, at the time, UCLA was dropping statements to the Sportsmedia that were not really true, but designed to destroy the relationship between TCU and Dixon so that they could get him on the cheap and not have to pay off the buyout.

There is likely a pretty big gap between the Media tale, and the actual facts.

CountryFrog

Serious question...for the “let him walk” advocates...

If you let him walk without enforcing a substantial portion of the buyout, why have contracts if they only protect one party? I’m not saying we shouldn’t have let him go but at what cost?
And the precedent that sets for future coaches. If you're going to include a buyout in the contract then you enforce. If you want to be ok with anyone leaving at any time they want then you don't put any buyout into any contract.

Eight

it is going to be very important for all us of here that they respond hard next Wednesday. I believe that is our next game.

in all honesty won't make or break my day how they come up because my thoughts are barely a ripple on this board let alone truly matter in the direction of the basketball program

Francis Xavier

I think Dixon needs to flush his assistant coaches first. They are at the lead in recruiting and they are doing a terrible job. They only recruit kids who can't shoot free throws and who are turnover prone. Seems like every recruit has these issues. Also seems like we are only getting leftovers. I also expect Miles to Portal Transfer soon. He is not used to losing. He is not used to getting embarrassed.
I dont see any indication of miles leaving. He plays almost all minutes and is the second best player on the team. He certainly can get better too but what would he leave for?

netty2424

Has anyone noticed that every player on this roster that gets PT, not named Miles, has terrible shooting form? They all have a glitch.

Not saying it’s a reason for losing, just an observation that’s odd to me. For a teams offensive scheme that is designed around living and dying from three, you would think there would be more pure shooters on the roster.

Eight

Has anyone noticed that every player on this roster that gets PT, not named Miles, has terrible shooting form? They all have a glitch.

Not saying it’s a reason for losing, just an observation that’s odd to me. For a teams offensive scheme that is designed around living and dying from three, you would think there would be more pure shooters on the roster.

actually, the inability to consistently make shots is one of the reason they are losing and after watching gonzaga play last night in an ugly game for them in which they had 18 turnovers and still dropped 93 on pepperdine i am not sure what the frogs work on in practice.

serious question as a number of players don't get better handling the ball, they are shooting 43% from the floor and 34% from 3 in 6 conference games and they haven't played tech, texas, or wvu yet.

does practice look like the scene in hoosiers where the players are in preseason drills are shuffling between folding chairs?

Last edited: