• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Eight

watched most of captain marvel the other night and got a similar feeling from it that i did when i watched wonder woman and then watched the character appear in another movie in the franchise

wonder woman defeats the freaking god of war and in the process dispatches multiple german shoulders in five minutes and yet in the second movie it takes her 10 minutes just to subdue four crooks.

carol stops a kree missle attack on earth, has more power than any hero in the marvel universe, up to the ability to destroy the stones, and can't stop thanos when they fight?

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
usual suspects is a great suggestion as the opening really doesn't give you an idea or where it is headed.

Great film!

star wars was different from everything else, but you could get a sense of where the movie was headed, same with the town and the dark knight. you could see where both of the movies were headed fairly early.

"The Hero's Journey" or the German formula of bildungsroman is a well-worn pattern of story development. Of course, Hollywood has now run that into the ground through the use of the Mary Sue...

the wild bunch is a great movie tetonfrog, but as with some of the others the start pretty much is taking you in the direction of the movie.

Call it the "Doomed Hero's End" formula. Le Mort de Arthur is an early example, greatly aided by the new invention known as the printing press.

JugbandFrog

lots of thespian and artsy talk up in here. Lets discuss best use of gratuitous (or non gratuitous) nudity
Tanya Roberts in Beastmaster when the ferrets stole her clothes. It was the first boobs I ever saw in that kind of way.

I miss the 80s and 90s for the gratuitous nudity.

after that, one of the most memorable scenes was in “Just One of the Guys” where she has to convince her friend that she is not a he, but a she, and he doesn’t believe her, so she just HAS to show her boobs to prove it.

Glorious.

Frog-in-law1995

Just found the Christopher Reeve Superman on HBO Max and had to flip it on. Haven’t seen it in several years. Does anybody know why Jor-El wears the Superman “S” logo on his chest in the opening scenes on Krypton as he prosecutes General Zod?

Eight

Just found the Christopher Reeve Superman on HBO Max and had to flip it on. Haven’t seen it in several years. Does anybody know why Jor-El wears the Superman “S” logo on his chest in the opening scenes on Krypton as he prosecutes General Zod?

if i recall correctly what i was told by an old roommate who was a big comic book guy, the s was not an s but i think the family coat of arms

then again i could be completely wrong which wouldn't be the first time

Last edited:

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Initially, the S-shield had one meaning: S for Superman. One of the first alternative meanings was presented in Superman: The Movie, in which it was not an S, but rather the S-shaped Coat of arms of the House of El as it was Brando's idea to have Jor-El wear the "S" as a family crest, folklore spun off from there. After the Superman reboot story The Man of Steel, the symbol's story was that it was designed by Jonathan Kent and was derived from an ancient Native American symbol. The symbol was featured on a medicine blanket given to an ancestor of the Kent family by a Native American tribe after he helped to cure them of a plague and was supposed to represent a snake, an animal held to possess healing powers by the tribe (implying that, by wearing this symbol, Superman was a metaphorical healer). This was also included in the 1997 Superman encyclopedia. In 2004, Mark Waid's Superman: Birthright series says the S-Shield is the Kryptonian symbol for "hope" and Superman believes it may have begun as a coat of arms for the House of El. Later, writer Geoff Johns confirmed it was indeed a coat of arms, as well as a symbol for hope. In the 2013 film Man of Steel, when asked by Lois Lane what the "S" stands for, Superman states that it is not an "S", but rather the Kryptonian symbol for "hope", and explaining that the design is based on a river in the 2017 film Justice League.

In Supergirl (TV series, 2015) Season 1, episode 2 Kara states that the Kryptonian symbol stands for her family's motto, "Stronger together."

Superman logo - Wikipedia

HToady

Nocturnal Animals is Texas based and a very strange opening...
if you have passed on "Nocturnal Animals", I HIGH:Y recommend it. It came out about 2016
It is an "edge of your seat" suspense. It was fashion designer Tom Ford's second directorial attempt and is meticulous as you would think a fashion designer would be. When I watch a movie, I try to appreciate the score, photography, acting and story. This movie excels in all areas. See it, and just tell the wife it's a suspense.....
If your into humans flying through the air in leotards, or unrecognizable creatures from another planet fighting each other, this movie is probably not for you. Also, the actor that plays Ray is English.....

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
if you have passed on "Nocturnal Animals", I HIGH:Y recommend it. It came out about 2016
It is an "edge of your seat" suspense. It was fashion designer Tom Ford's second directorial attempt and is meticulous as you would think a fashion designer would be. When I watch a movie, I try to appreciate the score, photography, acting and story. This movie excels in all areas. See it, and just tell the wife it's a suspense.....
If your into humans flying through the air in leotards, or unrecognizable creatures from another planet fighting each other, this movie is probably not for you. Also, the actor that plays Ray is English.....

Not to mention obese nekid women...