• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

ShadowFrog

Moderators
It was the LPD-8 Dubuque. In fact, I believe that story pre-dated your visit to the sandbox, in that I now recall that this was during the Kuwaiti Tanker re-flagging in '88. One of my buddy's tales dealt with the quick annihilation of the Iranian Navy...
Damn that was back in the day of the original Stark attack. As I recall I was driving from Texas to Maine when that happened.

Eight

Damn that was back in the day of the original Stark attack. As I recall I was driving from Texas to Maine when that happened.

think i found a picture of brewing frog's ship back in the day

the-war-of-1812-naval-battle-everett.jpg

stbrab

Frogxy and I finished the Queen’s Gambit last night...it was exceptional. I’m not a chess guy, and might not have watched it, but for the recommendations on this forum. For those that haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it. It’s one of the best limited series I have seen.

By the way, it was done by the same people that did Godless, another exceptional limited series.

JugbandFrog

Frogxy and I finished the Queen’s Gambit last night...it was exceptional. I’m not a chess guy, and might not have watched it, but for the recommendations on this forum. For those that haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it. It’s one of the best limited series I have seen.

By the way, it was done by the same people that did Godless, another exceptional limited series.
Searching for Bobby Fisher is a good chess flick. It isn’t as easy on the eyes as Queens, but it is good.

Eight

the matrix trilogy has been looping this weekend and watched the first half of the original last night. forgot just how strong the movie up to neo's awakening was and how it was completely unlike what i had expected from the movie.

this morning i started to think about movies with a similar start, not just movies with great openings because the opening of saving private ryan might be the best opening of a movie i have seen though the only surprise so to speak was just how intense and apparently accurate they got the omaha beach landing

sure there are other movies, but can't recall off hand a movie that not only opened as strong as the matrix but the unexpected part of the combination

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

the matrix trilogy has been looping this weekend and watched the first half of the original last night. forgot just how strong the movie up to neo's awakening was and how it was completely unlike what i had expected from the movie.

this morning i started to think about movies with a similar start, not just movies with great openings because the opening of saving private ryan might be the best opening of a movie i have seen though the only surprise so to speak was just how intense and apparently accurate they got the omaha beach landing

sure there are other movies, but can't recall off hand a movie that not only opened as strong as the matrix but the unexpected part of the combination
Super Troopers

Frog-in-law1995

Weird that you posted this. My wife and I just finished a documentary on The Bee Gees (yeah, I know), and when they played Stayin’ Alive, I commented about how the opening scene of Saturday Night Fever was so iconic.

But to answer your question, I’ll go with the Usual Suspects and every Tarantino and Kubric film.

tetonfrog

The Wild Bunch

Non-stop action from the first minute. William Holden, Robert Ryan, Ernest Borgnine, Ben Johnson, Warren Oates & Strother Martin are simply badass. The final fight is great and the final scene even better.

ftwfrog

Two of my favorite movies, The Dark Knight and The Town open with kick ass bank robberies.

Atom

I may be late to the game here as it's not new (2016), but I just heard about and watched Greater on Netflix. True story about a walk-on at Arkansas in the late 1990s. I thought it was fantastic.

Eight

Weird that you posted this. My wife and I just finished a documentary on The Bee Gees (yeah, I know), and when they played Stayin’ Alive, I commented about how the opening scene of Saturday Night Fever was so iconic.

But to answer your question, I’ll go with the Usual Suspects and every Tarantino and Kubric film.

usual suspects is a great suggestion as the opening really doesn't give you an idea or where it is headed.

early tarantino yes because it was new, but his movies seem to have fallen into a set pattern similar to robert rodriguez. tough to continually reinvent and not fall back to what is comfortable.

similar to guy ritchie movies. snatch starts out with a strong start that doesn't give away the direction of the movie, but his work since that either has been a bit bizarre as in his take on king arthur or rooted in his gangster formula

good call on supertroopers ron,

star wars was different from everything else, but you could get a sense of where the movie was headed, same with the town and the dark knight. you could see where both of the movies were headed fairly early.

the wild bunch is a great movie tetonfrog, but as with some of the others the start pretty much is taking you in the direction of the movie.