• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Moose Stuff

On Amazon Prime through Showtime tie-in, Steel is currently watching Your Honor, which is ok, and Ray Donovan, which is pretty good.

Steel tried Billions and it was hard to get into.

Succession was pretty good.

On HBO, The Undoing was decent leading up to a disappointing ending; and I Know This Much is True is a quiet gem; The Outsider was a little weird but entertaining

Steel wants to watch Cinemax series called Warrior. looks real good.

Steel will get Disney Prime and watch Mandalorian when other options run out.

Any other suggestions?
Haven't read through the thread well enough to know if it was discussed, but I would strongly recommend Cobra Kai (assuming you've seen and at least somewhat enjoyed Karate Kid). It's outstanding.

Horned Toad

Haven't read through the thread well enough to know if it was discussed, but I would strongly recommend Cobra Kai (assuming you've seen and at least somewhat enjoyed Karate Kid). It's outstanding.
My wife and I both love that show. If you were around during the 80’s you’ll love all the references. Great storyline too.

Frog-in-law1995

My wife and I both love that show. If you were around during the 80’s you’ll love all the references. Great storyline too.

Speaking of that, I finally got around to watching Ready, Player One last night. My son loved it...like, “instant favorite movie” status for him. I thought it was enjoyable, but was so different from the book and in ways that were a little bit disappointing. Same characters, same basic premise, but that’s about it. Probably not much else they could do trying to fit that book into 2 hours. Recommend both. but especially the book, if you came of age in the 80s.

tcudoc

Speaking of that, I finally got around to watching Ready, Player One last night. My son loved it...like, “instant favorite movie” status for him. I thought it was enjoyable, but was so different from the book and in ways that were a little bit disappointing. Same characters, same basic premise, but that’s about it. Probably not much else they could do trying to fit that book into 2 hours. Recommend both. but especially the book, if you came of age in the 80s.
I loved the book but was far more disappointed in the movie than you were. Had I not read the book before, I likely would still not care that much for the movie, but I would not have known how disappointed I really should be.

Frog-in-law1995

Nice film. Beautifully shot. Gets a hearty thanks for introducing me to M83.

Googled and VERY confused. All I found was a “French electronic music project,” and that doesn’t seem like you. Actually reminds me of a great quote from @Ron Swanson on here several years ago about some techno band that somebody very oddly said was the British Van Halen.

Ron Swanson

Googled and VERY confused. All I found was a “French electronic music project,” and that doesn’t seem like you. Actually reminds me of a great quote from @Ron Swanson on here several years ago about some techno band that somebody very oddly said was the British Van Halen.
No idea what you are talking about. I’m guessing I said something really original and hysterical though.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Remember, at heart, I'm an old Prog. Thus, big thematics and soundscapes are sometimes very, very appealing...

The original trailer for Cloud Atlas was set to this piece of music, and it really put the hook in me. So, I went and found the album attached: 'Hurry Up, We're Dreaming' from 2011.

Some of my friends have long considered me absolutely hidebound, in that I "don't bother to listen to music from this Century!" To that, I say that this Century has mainly produced a great deal of utterly unlistenable crap. Yet, from time to time, like the thousand chimpanzees on the thousand typewriters, there comes something that catches my fancy...

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Any of y’all old enough to remember the days when you had the VHS tape of a great movie to share with friends.

I had a copy of Boondock Saints, The Killer, and Eddie Murphy’s Delirious that I would share with friends when they asked me for suggestions
I will not claim to top your story but I will add mine. 30 years ago during Desert Storm I arrived in September and there was no war to fight yet. I had a bunch of bored and pissed off young troops to oversee. And only one TV with a VCR for the drivers to hang out and watch when they weren’t bussing 5000 people back-and-forth to work every day. So I had the wife send out a bunch of my VHS tapes and I made them all available to the troops to watch whenever they wanted. I later found out that from over 100 films I had sent in their favorite that they re-watched over and over was ..... Howard the Duck.

BrewingFrog

I will not claim to top your story but I will add mine. 30 years ago during Desert Storm I arrived in September and there was no war to fight yet. I had a bunch of bored and pissed off young troops to oversee. And only one TV with a VCR for the drivers to hang out and watch when they weren’t bussing 5000 people back-and-forth to work every day. So I had the wife send out a bunch of my VHS tapes and I made them all available to the troops to watch whenever they wanted. I later found out that from over 100 films I had sent in their favorite that they re-watched over and over was ..... Howard the Duck.
Heh. I think I told you this tale (after a couple of drinks), a good buddy of mine was a Navy Man, out on an LPD (Or, as the scuttlebutt termed it 'Missile Sponge') in the Persian Gulf round about that time, and we took the time and effort to make a series of fine video productions involving some reasonably tolerable pR0n films and three guys doing commentary while the films played. Call it 'Pr0N Science Theatre 1991!'
Anyway, we mailed out the VHS tapes to him, and they were evidently the hit of the Wardroom. We got all kinds of requests for sequels and such...

Eight

Rewatching Highwaymen with Costner and Harrelson.
Costner is a damn movie legend. I enjoy his movies a great deal.

woody is very, very good in that as well.

two scenes that might get overlooked that i really liked were when costner pulls up to harrelson's house and he sees woody's living situation

second is when they are in the store preparing to go "hunting"

p.s. boondock saints is a classic bad movie though the second should never have been made

ShadowFrog

Moderators
A movie that took a couple of viewings for me to enjoy, but now I want to see it again: Cloud Atlas. Just don't try to make too much about it, just enjoy the stories.
Concur.
Every time I watch I pick up on more sub-text, identify actors under multi-layers of prosthetics/makeup. Also helps to activate captions to pick up the future pidgin English.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Heh. I think I told you this tale (after a couple of drinks), a good buddy of mine was a Navy Man, out on an LPD (Or, as the scuttlebutt termed it 'Missile Sponge') in the Persian Gulf round about that time, and we took the time and effort to make a series of fine video productions involving some reasonably tolerable pR0n films and three guys doing commentary while the films played. Call it 'Pr0N Science Theatre 1991!'
Anyway, we mailed out the VHS tapes to him, and they were evidently the hit of the Wardroom. We got all kinds of requests for sequels and such...
Guam or Trenton?

BrewingFrog

It was the LPD-8 Dubuque. In fact, I believe that story pre-dated your visit to the sandbox, in that I now recall that this was during the Kuwaiti Tanker re-flagging in '88. One of my buddy's tales dealt with the quick annihilation of the Iranian Navy...