• The KillerFrogs

Frogs vs. Rock Chalk

Farmfrog

Not saying you're wrong but what are the specific adjustments during timeouts and halftime that you think Dixon should be making and is not?
When you see what you are doing isn’t working, especially on the offensive end, you should try to alter your attack. We are very stagnant offensively and I believe if we used more motion and run a set for Mike or RJ that our offense would be more efficient. I’ve never seen a team play a worse zone but instead maybe run a double team at certain times to get the ball out of opponents best player, ie Reeves from OU.

There are many things that we could do to change things but you have to know how to do it first. We don’t seem to practice any adjustments therefore we don’t use any.

FrogAbroad

A genuinely great opponent (and I think KU basketball qualifies for that) can make even a "good" team look "bad." I don't think any rational Frog basketball fan expects the current team to take the Jayhawks right down to the final buzzer every game, but they do expect HCJD's guys to look better than lost and inept, which is how they looked the other night. The upcoming BU game will likely be a test of whether this year's team will gut it out or give up.

CountryFrog

When you see what you are doing isn’t working, especially on the offensive end, you should try to alter your attack. We are very stagnant offensively and I believe if we used more motion and run a set for Mike or RJ that our offense would be more efficient. I’ve never seen a team play a worse zone but instead maybe run a double team at certain times to get the ball out of opponents best player, ie Reeves from OU.

There are many things that we could do to change things but you have to know how to do it first. We don’t seem to practice any adjustments therefore we don’t use any.
That could all be right. I mainly ask because I honestly think the most impactful "adjustment" that could be made is continuing to get better players, particularly at PG and C. I really think if this current team had a really good pure PG then that would make a world of difference and address a lot of what you mentioned.

Other than Fisher we haven't had a really well rounded complete player at that position imo. I think Miles will get there but right now he's a really good scorer more than a really good PG.

And we just get routinely beat up inside by a lot of teams. Watching what Kansas did to Samuel with a very average (if that) center was so frustrating.

So for me we can talk about scheme, adjustments, philosophy all day but ultimately the teams with the best players are usually the teams that win the most games. We've made strides in that area but still have further to go to consistently compete with the top of the B12.

Rose Bowl

Not saying you're wrong but what are the specific adjustments during timeouts and halftime that you think Dixon should be making and is not?
This isn’t just for you but there are so many just minor things to adjust to that could make us harder to defend and tougher to score on. Would you say the same thing about the football team if they were having trouble and still doing the same thing over and over? I know there are several people who don’t believe coaching is as important as it really is.

Pharm Frog

I realize that my expectations are high but I truly believe that we can compete for conference championships. Brewing said it best, “winning begets winning” and we’re going to have to hope that he can get us into the tourney and we win a couple of games in order to get to the next level. I have my doubts that he will take us where we want to go but I know he’s here for as long as he wants to be.

I do not believe we are near competing for conference championships other than a possible but improbable run through a Big 12 tournament. And I have no idea what you are seeing or experiencing that would lead you to believe that.

Rose Bowl

That could all be right. I mainly ask because I honestly think the most impactful "adjustment" that could be made is continuing to get better players, particularly at PG and C. I really think if this current team had a really good pure PG then that would make a world of difference and address a lot of what you mentioned.

Other than Fisher we haven't had a really well rounded complete player at that position imo. I think Miles will get there but right now he's a really good scorer more than a really good PG.

And we just get routinely beat up inside by a lot of teams. Watching what Kansas did to Samuel with a very average (if that) center was so frustrating.

So for me we can talk about scheme, adjustments, philosophy all day but ultimately the teams with the best players are usually the teams that win the most games. We've made strides in that area but still have further to go to consistently compete with the top of the B12.
So you’re saying Jamie has to have the best talent on the floor in order to win? If that’s the case then we are *******. A really good coach doesn’t have to have the best talent in order to win games.

You may disagree but you’re wrong.

Rose Bowl

I do not believe we are near competing for conference championships other than a possible but improbable run through a Big 12 tournament. And I have no idea what you are seeing or experiencing that would lead you to believe that.
Are you saying that we shouldn’t strive to compete for championships? I believe we should be striving for that goal but are held back by coaching. The only thing TCU lacks is a fan base but it will only grow by the team winning.

CountryFrog

So you’re saying Jamie has to have the best talent on the floor in order to win? If that’s the case then we are *******. A really good coach doesn’t have to have the best talent in order to win games.

You may disagree but you’re wrong.
Never said we need "the best" talent but I also don't think you can be deficient at PG and just coach around that.

It obviously has to be a mix of both things. The Big 12 is full of really good coaches so I also don't think we can depend on out coaching everyone on a regular basis no matter who the coach is. There's only so far you can go without really good players.

Rose Bowl

The problem is I believe our talent right now is good enough to finish top 5 if we get good coaching. There are teams that are more talented but we are equal with most of the conference. That is where coaching comes in.

Pharm Frog

Are you saying that we shouldn’t strive to compete for championships? I believe we should be striving for that goal but are held back by coaching. The only thing TCU lacks is a fan base but it will only grow by the team winning.

No I’m not saying that. But if you believe the only thing TCU basketball lacks is a fan base then you are beyond delusional.

Pharm Frog

The problem is I believe our talent right now is good enough to finish top 5 if we get good coaching. There are teams that are more talented but we are equal with most of the conference. That is where coaching comes in.

You are entitled to your opinion even when it’s wrong. You go from saying we should be competing for the conference championship to saying we should be in the top half. Precisely NOBODY looked at the TCU program and said....”I think they should finish in the top half of the Big 12 based on the accumulated talent.” Well...maybe there was one person who thought the Frogs were a Top 5 program in the Big 12 in 2021 and he’s named after a football stadium in Pasadena CA.

Rose Bowl

No I’m not saying that. But if you believe the only thing TCU basketball lacks is a fan base then you are beyond delusional.
Yea we need coaching. Our biggest deterrent to winning though is not a lack of fan base. It’s a coach who’ll roll up his sleeves and work and develop his players and put them in position to win. You might think JD is doing that I just don’t think he is.

Rose Bowl

You are entitled to your opinion even when it’s wrong. You go from saying we should be competing for the conference championship to saying we should be in the top half. Precisely NOBODY looked at the TCU program and said....”I think they should finish in the top half of the Big 12 based on the accumulated talent.” Well...maybe there was one person who thought the Frogs were a Top 5 program in the Big 12 in 2021 and he’s named after a football stadium in Pasadena CA.
This goes back to my expectations for this team. Maybe you see us as a bad team but I do not. If we finish in the top half of the conference then I will come back and say he did a good job. I don’t think finishing 8th is a big accomplishment and that’s where we are headed. How long should we wait before we do finish top half of the conference, 5 years or more?

tetonfrog

Yea we need coaching. Our biggest deterrent to winning though is not a lack of fan base. It’s a coach who’ll roll up his sleeves and work and develop his players and put them in position to win. You might think JD is doing that I just don’t think he is.

what about RJ? He has clearly developed his game. And Dez? He improved so much during his four years that he was a top-round draft pick.

I am not saying JD is perfect, but he has developed those guys. The issue is the high turnover of the team due to all the transfers. Before I write off JD I want to see how we do the second half of this year and how we do next year.

This isn’t just for you but there are so many just minor things to adjust to that could make us harder to defend and tougher to score on. Would you say the same thing about the football team if they were having trouble and still doing the same thing over and over? I know there are several people who don’t believe coaching is as important as it really is.
wait so we haven't had the same [ Finebaum ] show offense (and OC/co-OC) for 3 years running?

Farmfrog

Rose I know you care but we are so far behind our conference mates that winning at the rate you’re talking about is going to take time. My problem with Dixon is he seems lost at times what to do. He just looks like a wild man running up and down the sideline.

This roster is what he recruited now it’s up to him to coach them up.

East Coast

Tier 1
I don't see how you could contrive that Pharm doesn't think we should try to compete for championships out of his saying he doesn't think this team is capable of it.

Pharm Frog

I don't see how you could contrive that Pharm doesn't think we should try to compete for championships out of his saying he doesn't think this team is capable of it.

Especially since I’m repeatedly on record as saying that if you aren’t in it to win you shouldn’t be doing it. Goes for debate, football, rifle, meat judging, whatever. Rose apparently sees what we have on the floor and bench as a championship-contending caliber team. I do not. What I see are pieces that are much better than the pieces I saw awhile back.

I think Moose claimed the program is treading water. I think that is closer to my observation than being ready to contend for conference championships. But in basketball sometimes one or two players can cure a lot of ills. I’m not thrilled nor even happy with the state of TCU basketball but I’m also not terribly disappointed as some apparently are.

Have no history with TCU basketball so I’m neither a fan nor antagonist to JD. Personally I like coaches who coach hard in practice, manage the rotation in the game, call for schematic adjustments proactively and reactively but otherwise let the kids play. JD talks too much for my personal preference but I’ve witnessed much much worse.