• The KillerFrogs

I guess Jeremy and I will just have to disagree

Moose Stuff

I think one of the main issues in his favor that I've seen nobody bring up is the fact (or at least that's what I'm told) that TCU is in a hiring freeze currently. So using someone already on staff may well be the only option. Anyone with more direct knowledge here that cares to chime in on that?

Last edited:
I think one of the main issues in his favor that I've seen nobody bring up is the fact (or at least that's what I'm told) that TCU is in a hiring freeze currently. So using someone already on staff may well be the only option. Anyone with more direct knowledge here that cares to chime in on that.

TCU: We, a wealthy private university supported by donors with little net-debt, are in a strict hiring freeze and can't possibly hire even one assistant football coach.

Texas: We, a public university in significant debt and an ongoing budget crunch, are going to go spend almost $100 million in guaranteed contract issuance and buyouts to fire, then hire, an entire football staff in 1 month.

Moose Stuff

I read "Patterson wants somebody there for the long haul" and it's hard for me to not think "Patterson wants someone he knows, is comfortable with, and who won't rock the boat" during the rest of his tenure.

I think a better hire could be made if they tried.

Well sure. I don't think anyone is trying to portray Kenny as the best candidate in America for this opening.

Moose Stuff

TCU: We, a wealthy private university supported by donors with little net-debt, are in a strict hiring freeze and can't possibly hire even one assistant football coach.

Texas: We, a public university in significant debt and an ongoing budget crunch, are going to go spend almost $100 million in guaranteed contract issuance and buyouts to fire, then hire, an entire football staff in 1 month.
What UT did was embarrassing. Especially considering the number of UT employees that have lost jobs or taken pay cuts in the last year.

Last edited:

Froggish

UT Football brings in 3X more money than TCU Football

CountryFrog

I read "Patterson wants somebody there for the long haul" and it's hard for me to not think "Patterson wants someone he knows, is comfortable with, and who won't rock the boat" during the rest of his tenure.

I think a better hire could be made if they tried.
While you're certainly correct, as someone else pointed out recently in a different thread, probably 90% of coaching hires everywhere are because of who the person doing the hiring knows and is comfortable with. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's coaching.

I know this board likes to ridicule Gary for just keeping his buddies onboard and some of that is fair but it's also not totally unique to Gary.

There's also a legitimate argument to be made for consistency within the staff and that is also, for better or worse, a philosophy that many coaches believe in.

CountryFrog

I don't know what point you're attempting to make (if any at all) but I don't think there is any reason whatsoever to look at the hiring practices in Austin as something to emulate.

WIN

Texas: And hopefully we can beat TCU in the future.

FrogAbroad

If tuition and fees go up, people can stop paying tuition and fees.
If state taxes go up, people can't stop paying state taxes.

Something about "elasticity," I think...

Moose Stuff

While you're certainly correct, as someone else pointed out recently in a different thread, probably 90% of coaching hires everywhere are because of who the person doing the hiring knows and is comfortable with. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's coaching.

I know this board likes to ridicule Gary for just keeping his buddies onboard and some of that is fair but it's also not totally unique to Gary.

There's also a legitimate argument to be made for consistency within the staff and that is also, for better or worse, a philosophy that many coaches believe in.

And as I've pointed out before the last 4 hires Gary made that were similar to this gave us Fitch, Modkins, Kelly, and Gonzalez. Anyone have a problem with that? People act like every hire he's ever made is [ Finebaum ] when in reality is track record is pretty solid.

CryptoMiner

I think one of the main issues in his favor that I've seen nobody bring up is the fact (or at least that's what I'm told) that TCU is in a hiring freeze currently. So using someone already on staff may well be the only option. Anyone with more direct knowledge here that cares to chime in on that?

Seems to be quite a few job openings and they are accepting applications. Know of one recent hire.

https://jobs.tcu.edu/en-us/listing/

Big Frog II

Well if you write TCU a check for about $25 million, then I think we could hire someone more to your liking.

Froggish

If I’m hiring I want position coaches who are absolute monsters on the recruiting trail and coordinators who are monsters on the practice field... I’ll supplement lack of knowledge with a bunch of analyst. I still believe that unless you have a dud at QB, the team with the best recruits are going to win most the time.

helcap

If I’m hiring I want position coaches who are absolute monsters on the recruiting trail and coordinators who are monsters on the practice field... I’ll supplement lack of knowledge with a bunch of analyst. I still believe that unless you have a dud at QB, the team with the best recruits are going to win most the time.
Correct. I have no problem with this hiring if Kenny has shown to be a great recruiter so far.

Wexahu

And as I've pointed out before the last 4 hires Gary made that were similar to this gave us Fitch, Modkins, Kelly, and Gonzalez. Anyone have a problem with that? People act like every hire he's ever made is [ #2020 ] when in reality is track record is pretty solid.

Based on their age when they were hired to coach a position, their numbers of years in football, and their other places of employment, I really don't think the situations are all that similar. Those guys paid their dues far more than KH will have if he gets the job.

This is just my opinion, but it seems like KH has just been kind of coddled by GP since he got here, like GP was so thrilled he decided to transfer here that he just could hardly get over it. Just my impression based on observations from afar. And when I've seen KH on the sidelines, it seems like he's fraternizing with the players as much as he is coaching. Maybe that was part of his job.