• The KillerFrogs

College Football Teams Ranked Historically

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Kinda hurts Notre Dame, Penn State, Army, Navy for using conference titles as a metric.

As it should. I believe it’s much harder to win when you are actually playing for one thing against rivals competing for the same thing.

Being an independent really built Notre Dame’s myth. Part of which was their choice to not play in bowl games for decades. Only four of their NCs came after bowl games. Their other seven were won while sitting at home while other teams fought it ought on the field.

Penn State was another. They weren’t nearly the blue blood winner after joining the Big 10.

As it should. I believe it’s much harder to win when you are actually playing for one thing against rivals competing for the same thing.

Being an independent really built Notre Dame’s myth. Part of which was their choice to not play in bowl games for decades. Only four of their NCs came after bowl games. Their other seven were won while sitting at home while other teams fought it ought on the field.

Penn State was another. They weren’t nearly the blue blood winner after joining the Big 10.
Good points. Although I would say that Notre Dame and Penn State would have won some conference championships at some point. Would that be offset by the reduction in wins? Who knows.