• The KillerFrogs

Texas QB Sam Ehlinger to declare for NFL draft after Longhorns hire Steve Sarkisian

IDK if it was more the offensive scheme (it probably was) or his own decision making, but I seem to recall him getting hammered incessantly his freshman year and wondering how in the heck he'd even survive 1 year at qb much less 4. I'm almost sure I recall him being concussed multiple times in addition to the shoulder hits. He probably could have been close to Tebow, if they'd had enough protection and other weapons around him.

Yes, he was reckless his freshmen year. Running into contact.
To me, they should have used a scheme like KState or Baylor to pick up tons of chunk yards with QB runs and then catch people with the deep ball.

LisaLT

Just another Tebow with less talent and no baseball skills.
Tebow was not very accurate with his throws as I remember. Good all around guy and locker room presence but not a very good QB. I think Sam is better, but still doubtful to ever be a starter.

OICU812

Just looked back at Tebow's stats at FL. Shockingly high completion percentages- 4-year AVERAGE of around 67-68%. We've all seen how that turned out, so I think the obvious conclusion is 1, he had a coach smart enough to design an offense which minimized his limitations (Urban Meyer), and 2, he had much better talent around him at Florida than what Sam had in Austin. Also, that was before the forward pass was really allowed on a regular basis in the SEC.

Mean Purple

Tebow was not very accurate with his throws as I remember. Good all around guy and locker room presence but not a very good QB. I think Sam is better, but still doubtful to ever be a starter.
his accuracy was not bad, it was his throwing motion that made the pros an issue. but he found ways to win that season in Denver. he's a solid guy. Seems like Sam is a good kid too. Hope he does well.

BKSledge

Major rock and hard place for Sam. He must've known going into the year he wasn't the best qb on the roster but his "orange blood" kept him the starter. Now the new HC has no obligation to him whatsoever so no reason to think he starts next year. OTOH pretty dicey prospects for NFL depending on severity of this latest injury, given his significant number of past problems with the same shoulder.

Well, the last two Westlake QB's in the NFL with shoulder injury problems are Super Bowl MVP's.

We'll see what happens.

CountryFrog

Foles was a third-round pick, Brees first pick of the second. I'll take that bet.
The fact that Nick Foles was a Super Bowl MVP is maybe the most mind boggling sports thing of my lifetime. Not sure what would be ahead of that. And he did it against the Patriots with Tom Brady throwing for 500 yards.

And now Foles can't beat out Mitch Trubisky while the Eagles franchise is in shambles.

FrogCoach84

The fact that Nick Foles was a Super Bowl MVP is maybe the most mind boggling sports thing of my lifetime. Not sure what would be ahead of that. And he did it against the Patriots with Tom Brady throwing for 500 yards.

And now Foles can't beat out Mitch Trubisky while the Eagles franchise is in shambles.

TCU’s own Larry Brown seems to always pop up in the worst/weirdest Super Bowl MVP conversation.

Gotta think Foles is ahead of him in weird factor.

Best League MVP will always be Mark Moseley though.

BKSledge

don't recall brees or foles having injury problems coming out of westlake and don't recall issues out of college

Brees tore his ACL in the Playoffs in 95 and that greatly affected his recruitment.

Foles played most of the 2006 season with the same type of shoulder injury that Drew had with the Chargers. It was finally diagnosed during Basketball season.

HG73

Ironically, I declared for the NFL draft about 15 years ago as a wide receiver. Unfortunately I was 6’1, fat, couldn’t catch, and was the slowest piece of [ #2020 ] they’d ever seen.

Sounds about the same scenario.

Point being, anyone can “declare” for the draft. Doesn’t mean someone will pick you.
Friend of mine played at smu, flunked out and ended up at ETSU. Had a nice college career and played with some guys who played in the NFL. I asked him if he got drafted and he said yes. "Who drafted you?" He replied "the Army."

Eight

Brees tore his ACL in the Playoffs in 95 and that greatly affected his recruitment.

Foles played most of the 2006 season with the same type of shoulder injury that Drew had with the Chargers. It was finally diagnosed during Basketball season.

first, that injury of brees' at westlake wasn't a shoulder and second the recruiters was freaking idiots especially at texas. he only threw for 3,500+ yards and the chaps beat the [ Finebaum ] out of a very good cooper team.

texas signed a quarterback out of california and a little known quarterback out of baton rouge named major applewhite over a legacy in brees and if i recall correctly the top quarterback prospect in the state was odell james out of aldine macarthur

BKSledge

first, that injury of brees' at westlake wasn't a shoulder and second the recruiters was freaking idiots especially at texas. he only threw for 3,500+ yards and the chaps beat the [ #2020 ] out of a very good cooper team.

Yes they were and yes he did. I was at that game and every other one he played.

I'm really just a big homer for any Chap in the NFL.

Chongo94

first, that injury of brees' at westlake wasn't a shoulder and second the recruiters was freaking idiots especially at texas. he only threw for 3,500+ yards and the chaps beat the [ #2020 ] out of a very good cooper team.

texas signed a quarterback out of california and a little known quarterback out of baton rouge named major applewhite over a legacy in brees and if i recall correctly the top quarterback prospect in the state was odell james out of aldine macarthur

Didn’t Odell go to Baylor or am i misremembering?