• The KillerFrogs

CDC Lies and Fumbles

ticketfrog123

I forgot they announced he would be back.

It's absolute trash to announce that and then go back on what you said, messes with recruits most importantly. And now absolutely nobody is gonna trust CDC on anything he says anymore.

they announced he wasn’t fired in 2020.

2022 recruits started to decommit (top QB I think) when there was smoke he was going to be fired. The question was when he would be fired, not if.

McGregor's Goat

I think what CDC did was pretty sleazy. It's easy to point out that his prior statement was carefully worded and he didn't explicitly say, "Tom Herman will absolutely return as our head coach next season and will not be fired", but he allowed people to arrive at that conclusion. I don't know whether the idea was to lock in the early signing class, or if the buyout dropped, or both, but it was sleazy. It's one thing for cynical middle aged fans to say that it's obvious, but I can't fault 18 year old recruits for being tricked.

And this may blow up in my face, but I'm not impressed with Steve Sarkisian at all. Bringing in the latest Saban career-rehab project shows such a lack of imagination. Just as Lane Kiffin and Mike Locksley are the same guys they were before Saban removed their stench, I expect Sark to be basically the same guy he used to be, with the wild card being whether he's actually over the alcoholism.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Has anybody bothered to ask Mensa about all this? Has he had a comment? Is he just climbing onto the G5 and heading out to St. Bart's to count his filthy lucre on the white sand beach?

CDC told no lies, and he was probably just as ruthless as necessary. The decision was likely made before the Bowl, and I don't doubt there was some mutual love and admiration between Mensa and CDC. Mensa was a Dead Man Walking, and he knew it. It was just a matter of time.

OICU812

I think what CDC did was pretty sleazy. It's easy to point out that his prior statement was carefully worded and he didn't explicitly say, "Tom Herman will absolutely return as our head coach next season and will not be fired", but he allowed people to arrive at that conclusion. I don't know whether the idea was to lock in the early signing class, or if the buyout dropped, or both, but it was sleazy. It's one thing for cynical middle aged fans to say that it's obvious, but I can't fault 18 year old recruits for being tricked.

And this may blow up in my face, but I'm not impressed with Steve Sarkisian at all. Bringing in the latest Saban career-rehab project shows such a lack of imagination. Just as Lane Kiffin and Mike Locksley are the same guys they were before Saban removed their stench, I expect Sark to be basically the same guy he used to be, with the wild card being whether he's actually over the alcoholism.

If you are shocked or dismayed at Del doing something sleazy, you haven't been keeping up. He's a used-car salesman, always has been. Just happens to wear a nice suit really well, although his Covid-duuude beard has taken some of the shine off of that veneer. It's a sleazy business, is College Football. Television has turned it into the enormous cash grab that it is on all sides.

I used to be able to get worked up about the poor innocent kids being taken advantage of, but the inexorable migration of the sport to NFL-minor-league status replete with free agency, branding, and soon-to-be paid endorsements has made it pretty damn near impossible to feel that way generally. Now, like Seinfeld said, we are just rooting for laundry.

Anybody catch the Iowa State game discussion about Jack Trice? That man literally gave his life in exchange for what he knew was a huge and rare opportunity for him. I know there are still guys with that kind of character in the game, but it becomes progressively more difficult to find them, it seems.

https://iowaculture.gov/sites/defau...tory-education-pss-equality-curtis-source.pdf

Edit: For those like me too lazy to click a link or unable to decipher 100-year-old cursive, the transcript of Jack Trice's letter. He wrote it the night before his first CFB game, then went out the next day and gave up his body to such an extreme for his school that it killed him.

The Curtis Hotel Minneapolis

Oct 5, 1923
To whom it may concern:

My thoughts just before the first real college game of my life. The honor of my race, family, and self are at stake. Everyone is expecting me to do big things. I will! My whole body and soul are to be thrown recklessly about on the field tomorrrow. Every time the ball is snapped will be trying to do more than my part.

(supper)

On all defensive plays, I must break through the opponents line at (sic) stop the play in their territory. Beware of mass interference, fight low with your eyes open and toward the play. Roll block the interference. Watch out for cross bucks and reverse end runs. Be on your toes every minute if you expect to make good.

(meeting) 7:45 Jack

Last edited:

froginmn

If you are shocked or dismayed at Del doing something sleazy, you haven't been keeping up. He's a used-car salesman, always has been. Just happens to wear a nice suit really well, although his Covid-duuude beard has taken some of the shine off of that veneer. It's a sleazy business, is College Football. Television has turned it into the enormous cash grab that it is on all sides.

I used to be able to get worked up about the poor innocent kids being taken advantage of, but the inexorable migration of the sport to NFL-minor-league status replete with free agency, branding, and soon-to-be paid endorsements has made it pretty damn near impossible to feel that way generally. Now, like Seinfeld said, we are just rooting for laundry.

Anybody catch the Iowa State game discussion about Jack Trice? That man literally gave his life in exchange for what he knew was a huge and rare opportunity for him. I know there are still guys with that kind of character in the game, but it becomes progressively more difficult to find them, it seems.

https://iowaculture.gov/sites/defau...tory-education-pss-equality-curtis-source.pdf

Edit: For those like me too lazy to click a link or unable to decipher 100-year-old cursive, the transcript of Jack Trice's letter. He wrote it the night before his first CFB game, then went out the next day and gave up his body to such an extreme for his school that it killed him.

The Curtis Hotel Minneapolis

Oct 5, 1923
To whom it may concern:

My thoughts just before the first real college game of my life. The honor of my race, family, and self are at stake. Everyone is expecting me to do big things. I will! My whole body and soul are to be thrown recklessly about on the field tomorrrow. Every time the ball is snapped will be trying to do more than my part.

(supper)

On all defensive plays, I must break through the opponents line at (sic) stop the play in their territory. Beware of mass interference, fight low with your eyes open and toward the play. Roll block the interference. Watch out for cross bucks and reverse end runs. Be on your toes every minute if you expect to make good.

(meeting) 7:45 Jack
After I heard the Jack Trice story the first time, I had to check to see if my grandpa was on that MN team. He had been a member of the 1921 team so not guilty.

OICU812

After I heard the Jack Trice story the first time, I had to check to see if my grandpa was on that MN team. He had been a member of the 1921 team so not guilty.

I haven't a clue what really happened but would guess a significant amount of the damage inflicted on him was intentional, given the times.

froginmn

I haven't a clue what really happened but would guess a significant amount of the damage inflicted on him was intentional, given the times.
No idea. I will say that the game was as dirty then as it is now. My grandpa was an OL, and described to my dad the OL picking up a handful of the ash that formed the turf and rubbing it in the faces of the Iowa DL on some plays.

OICU812

I have no doubt CDC is a slime ball but you’re fooling yourself if you think he actually made the decision to fire Herman..He was delivered an ultimatum by big money and told what to do.

No doubt- He acknowledged it iirc over a month ago- said the decision would be made by 3- himself, the prez, and I think one of the regents. Wouldn't think for a minute it was a co-equal decision. It's really kinda funny because of those 3 who are the face of the decision, only one stands to be castrated if the decision doesn't pan out. No sympathy whatever for Del though, he knew the kind of devil he was sleeping with when he got into that bed.

I don’t mind an SOB when he is my SOB. To the extent CDC is an SOB - and he was always cool to me - I’m thankful he was at TCU when he was. He did well for us and left for what is by any measure a far, far bigger job. Is it a better job? Obviously that question is more subjective but anyone who aspires to be in the top tier of ADs would have jumped. As to the ethics of how he handled the Herman deal...meh. That’s how big time sports go

McGregor's Goat

If you are shocked or dismayed at Del doing something sleazy, you haven't been keeping up.

Was kind of expecting an "oh, you naïve child" type response. I understand that college football is a dirty business. I also think that some people in the sport are worse than others (e.g., I don't think every coach is "just like" Bobby Petrino or Art Briles), and it's ok to point out bad behavior.

HG73

Was kind of expecting an "oh, you naïve child" type response. I understand that college football is a dirty business. I also think that some people in the sport are worse than others (e.g., I don't think every coach is "just like" Bobby Petrino or Art Briles), and it's ok to point out bad behavior.
The only thing more crooked than college football is college basketball.