• The KillerFrogs

Viewers: Repetitive teams National Championship

SuperBarrFrog

At what point do people stop being interested in watching college football with the same teams in the playoffs every year?
I for one am less interested and do not watch. Are ratings higher or lower?
Ratings of every single thing in tv are way down but that doesn’t mean less people are watching. More casual viewers watch when you have dynasty teams, though you and I also enjoy it less. Unfortunately, Every sport makes more money and gets more viewers when he biggest brands are involved.

westoverhillbilly

At what point do people stop being interested in watching college football with the same teams in the playoffs every year?
I for one am less interested and do not watch. Are ratings higher or lower?

There was a similar article in the Wall Street Journal a couple days ago. Steve Spurrier was quoted as saying that Alabama get its pick of the first 10, second 10 then third 5 recruits followed by Clemson and Ohio State then everyone else fights over the rest. The article contrasted the NFL where the Super Bowl winner gets last pick with college football where the elite just keep getting top picks as they maintain success. Florida's 1996 team was the last National Champion that won a NC for the very first time.

Wexahu

There was a similar article in the Wall Street Journal a couple days ago. Steve Spurrier was quoted as saying that Alabama get its pick of the first 10, second 10 then third 5 recruits followed by Clemson and Ohio State then everyone else fights over the rest. The article contrasted the NFL where the Super Bowl winner gets last pick with college football where the elite just keep getting top picks as they maintain success. Florida's 1996 team was the last National Champion that won a NC for the very first time.

And the new rules making it easy for kids to transfer and not sit out a year just makes it that much easier for the Have's. Find yourself really needing a QB? Just go pluck a kid from someone else and make up a dumb excuse why they shouldn't have to sit a year.

See Ohio State and Justin Fields.

sandiegojack

many are already disinterested. I did not watch a minute of the Alabama ND game. the result was too predictable. I do not know anyone that watched it. The NCAA needs to find a way to level the recruiting process or this will continue. The tactics of recruiting in the $EC is well known.

CountryFrog

Ratings aren't unimportant obviously but changes won't be made based on that. The leaders of the P5 conferences seeing things like 4 SEC teams in NY6 games, PAC 12 consistently being left out of the CFP, Notre Dame playing with their own unique rules, etc. are what will lead to expansion of the playoff and ultimately more money for everyone.

froglash88

The system is awful. The same teams will continue to get in the majority of the time unless you go to 8. Conference champions from P5, one from G5 and 2 at large.

When do the semifinals start?

Moose Stuff

I'll watch the title game because it's college football and that's what I do but I'm not even remotely excited about it and there's a real good chance I'll lose interest and turn it off at some point.

Wexahu

^^^ Having a playoff system similar to this will help spread the recruiting wealth/talent to more programs than in the current system.

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-to-fix-the-college-football-playoff-problem-210911186.html

The lack of diversity at the top started manifesting itself when we went to 4 teams from 2. If we go to 8 it's still going to be more or less the same teams. If I'm a fan of Ohio State I would absolutely love that. Instead of making 4 of the 7 playoffs thus far, they'd have made 7 of 7. And then they get to do it on the field, which when you have a roster of players that is bigger, stronger, faster and deeper than 98% of the other college football teams, you're gonna have a distinct advantage over anyone except a very small handful of teams.

I guess people thought it was cool when teams like BYU, Georgia Tech and Colorado were winning titles. I'm guessing they'd have never been able to do that in a 4-team playoff format, much less an 8 or 16-team format. Those three teams "won" their titles by beating unranked Michigan, #5 Notre Dame and #19 Nebraska in their bowl games. They didn't have to play and beat the best teams, that is the only reason they were able to "win".

The problem is the same teams get the very best players every year and I don't see how you stop that. "Hey, come to my school, we have a chance to make the playoffs every now and then" or "hey, come to my school, there's about a 75% chance we'll make the playoffs every year." Where are you going if you're some hotshot recruit? Answer....the same place you'd be going to now.

Eight

The lack of diversity at the top started manifesting itself when we went to 4 teams from 2. If we go to 8 it's still going to be more or less the same teams. If I'm a fan of Ohio State I would absolutely love that. Instead of making 4 of the 7 playoffs thus far, they'd have made 7 of 7. And then they get to do it on the field, which when you have a roster of players that is bigger, stronger, faster and deeper than 98% of the other college football teams, you're gonna have a distinct advantage over anyone except a very small handful of teams.

I guess people thought it was cool when teams like BYU, Georgia Tech and Colorado were winning titles. I'm guessing they'd have never been able to do that in a 4-team playoff format, much less an 8 or 16-team format. Those three teams "won" their titles by beating unranked Michigan, #5 Notre Dame and #19 Nebraska in their bowl games. They didn't have to play and beat the best teams, that is the only reason they were able to "win".

The problem is the same teams get the very best players every year and I don't see how you stop that. "Hey, come to my school, we have a chance to make the playoffs every now and then" or "hey, come to my school, there's about a 75% chance we'll make the playoffs every year." Where are you going if you're some hotshot recruit? Answer....the same place you'd be going to now.

think the one chance you get from expanding the field is the perception you still have a chance playing for a title if you go to some other school aside from the usual suspects.

right now why would a kid from cali stay there if they want to play for a title. look at the number of kids from there going to bama, ohio state, clemson, ou, etc.....

heck, if the big 12 goes 5-0 in their bowl games this year does that really draw any attention from the big name recruits with no big 12 team in the final 4?

bama has recruited the top rated qb, rb, ot, center, and ilb from texas this year. why? you can make the nfl from anywhere, but the perception is you can't play for titles from anywhere.

LoudFrog

I’m OK watching the best, similar to watching Tiger Woods win all the time back in the day. Somebody needs to step up and take it. Sounds like the political argument where people want wealth redistribution.