• The KillerFrogs

2020 “Other” Bowl Games

Putt4Purple

Armed Forces Bowl is going to be a wet,cold, miserable mess today. Glad the Frogs are not playing in this game. Anyone brave enough to go today?

OICU812

Several years ago Arkansas had a ton of suspensions before the Orange Bowl and just hosed a higher ranked OU (B8/SWC Years).

That was a great team, probably their best ever in terms of NFL talent, even without Ben Cowins, who was their best RB.

Great story about Holtz getting the team ready: They were huge dogs going in, everyone assumed Swizer's bunch would put 50+ on them and Holtz had them super-pissed at the level of disrespect. Last thing he told them in the locker room before taking the field after teasing them how they should be afraid to face the Okies: "Last 11 guys out on the field have to start against Oklahoma!"

PS Roland Sales, who had never started (or played much) and who nobody ever heard of before or since that game, went out and set an Orange Bowl rushing record against OU.

Edit: I'm thinking it was more like 78, not 88.

Eight

If you got rid of conference championship games losers of those games would not be in New Years 6 Bowls. The second place team in a conference would still have something to prove. Probably fewer opt outs.

a team having or not having something to prove isn't related to the opt outs as those seem to be driven by players preparing to go to the next phase of their lives.

if you are a player who has a legit shot at getting drafted is bowl swag and another game where everyone but you is getting paid more attractive that getting paid to focus on what for many has been a dream?

Wexahu

a team having or not having something to prove isn't related to the opt outs as those seem to be driven by players preparing to go to the next phase of their lives.

if you are a player who has a legit shot at getting drafted is bowl swag and another game where everyone but you is getting paid more attractive that getting paid to focus on what for many has been a dream?

We're gonna start seeing the really top players opting out of CFP games pretty soon. Heck, it may already be happening, I haven't really followed the news on the games this year.

Wexahu

If I'm an NFL team I'm not touching a kid who screws his teammates by opting out of the biggest game(s) of his life to protect his own bottom line. scheiss that.

I wish more NFL teams thought like you but I don't think it matters to them. We'll see where Ja'Marr Chase goes. He opted out of the entire season and all the mock drafts I see suggest he'll be the first WR taken.

Eight

If I'm an NFL team I'm not touching a kid who screws his teammates by opting out of the biggest game(s) of his life to protect his own bottom line. scheiss that.

understand the sentiment, but the nfl has already shown that won't deter them in drafting a kid.

mccaffrey wasn't hurt by his decision to not play in the bowl game for stanford as example and now his younger brother opted out from michigan this year and looking to transfer to another team.

interesting when you consider who dad is and that a need for money at home wasn't really a big driver in the decision to leave stanford

Pharm Frog

If you were an NFL team I'm betting you would draft a kid high who did that if you felt he was good enough. We simply aren't seeing nearly enough "love of the game" for any game anymore IMO. Personally, I want to throw up every time I hear how it's expected that someone will have a great year in their "contract year". The dilution of "team competition" is about complete.

Moose Stuff

In regards to the previous responses.... I'm not talking about opting out for this season like Chase did or just another bowl game like McCafffrey did. I'm talking about playing all year and then opting out of a playoff game like Wex mentioned. And yes, I absolutely would be strongly deterred by any kid who did that.