• The KillerFrogs

And now, finally, football has reached the "evaluation" phase

ftwfrog

You know the routine. All of the coaches go into a room with chairs arranged in a circle. They all stand around the chairs, then music is played. As the music is playing, the coaches are all walking around the chairs. When the music stops, the coaches suddenly stop & sit in a chair with the coaching positions taped under the seats. That's how the coaching shuffle is done here. No new blood, or ideas. Just wash, rinse, repeat. It's the Patterson way.
And the song playing is “Take a Step Back”!!

I’ll see my way out.

PO Frog

Where do you guys come up with some of this [ #2020 ]? I swear. You really think CGP is just sitting around fat and happy playing his guitar and only worried about his defense looking good? We recruit well but not at the level of OU and UT past the first team yet we’ve pretty much owned UT since we joined the conference. We don’t have their depth. CGP has done more with less since he got here and that’s not a knock on our players, just the reality that he has to deal with. He has to grow up our depth. That’s been his biggest challenge. Sure he could bring in some whiz bang offensive guru and the new guy would still be faced with the depth issue. We don’t have any 5 stars riding the pine waiting three years for their chance to shine. Doesn’t take a genius to understand that we are who we are.
It's been 9 years. If he hasn't built the depth he needs, he isn't ever going to. Makes more sense to accept that the players aren't going to suddenly change for the better, so maybe we ought to try outcoaching the other teams?

Eight

Where do you guys come up with some of this [ #2020 ]? I swear. You really think CGP is just sitting around fat and happy playing his guitar and only worried about his defense looking good? We recruit well but not at the level of OU and UT past the first team yet we’ve pretty much owned UT since we joined the conference. We don’t have their depth. CGP has done more with less since he got here and that’s not a knock on our players, just the reality that he has to deal with. He has to grow up our depth. That’s been his biggest challenge. Sure he could bring in some whiz bang offensive guru and the new guy would still be faced with the depth issue. We don’t have any 5 stars riding the pine waiting three years for their chance to shine. Doesn’t take a genius to understand that we are who we are.

jilDxwb.gif

OICU812

You get a free pass on most everything because Belushi. . . But come on man, Depth??? Really???!!! That's what you've got?

We've got (today) better depth at RB, WR, and DB than I'd guess anybody in the conference. Our STARTERS on the O- and D-lines, OTOH, got pushed around by the likes of Iowa G-D STATE, fer scheiss's sake! COME ON!!!!

We can't quarterback. And we damn sure can't game manage and play call. . . We need some depth, alright. In the damn coaches room.

Froggish

How we compete against the teams we have more talent than is really all that matters. We haven’t done so well against those teams as of late. There’s a talent gap between TCU and OSU, WVU, KSU, ISU, Bay, TT and it tips in our favor against all of them....Losing those teams flat sucks

TK2000

We had a chance to seize momentum after the 2014, 2015 seasons. KH and the boys had flashes in 2017 with 10 wins. It’s made us feel optimistic with the young talent. Then putting all our chips in on Cumbie and Shaw Robinson screwed us. Set the offense back 2 years, which in turn set the whole team back. We have the talent to be really good next year if the O-line works “hard” on perfecting their craft in the off season. Anything less than 9 wins in 2021 will be a failure with the last three years recruiting classes. It’s on Gary and his coaches. We can complete with anyone in this Conf, even OU.

Last edited:

nrhfrog

Evaluation and subsequent action of the TCU football program=more re-arranging chairs on the Titanic. So frustrating to see TCU invest substantial resources (i.e. beautiful facilities and excellent salaries for coaches) and be satisfied with such mediocre results. In the old days (my days) we had crappy facilities and poor pay. Thus, the results were expected.

I love CGP and appreciate everything he has done for TCU, but this program is stuck in medicocrity....good enough to tease us with a few good games each year, but no real direction towards anything approaching excellence. Don't know why CGP lost his mojo, but it happens to nearly every coach or leader in any profession who hangs on too long. Eventually, the coach who is unwilling to change his ways/techniques is run over by the rest of the world. Unfortunately, it is the rare coach/leader who recognizes the need to change. As long as the pay is high ( it is) and the bosses are okay with the performance (the Trustees and Chancellor apparently are okay), then the coach stays long past his effectiveness. The rest of us have to watch this slowly unfolding train wreck. Sadly, we appear to be at that point.

We see the same stubborn issues with the basketball program too. I don't want to de-rail this discussion, but I sometimes wonder if CDC realized TCU had reached its peak and it had no where to go but down when he decided to jump to Texas. He knew his value on the market was at a maximum as football, basketball, and baseball were all clicking when he left. It is so much harder to sustain excellence than it is to get there. Sorry.....different subject for a different thread.

Bottom-line: We could and should be so much better than this. I'm not a "big money" alum, but I have been a season ticket holder for over 30 years and always will be (even after I got screwed out of my terrific seats at the old stadium), but my hope for anything other than an "accidental" good season is beginning to wane as I approach age 70. Yes, it is not as horrible as the 70's and 80's and some of the 90's, but it could be so much more than it is now.

I don't see the next generation of fans being as loyal with their time and money.

PO Frog

We had a chance to seize momentum after the 2014, 2015 seasons. KH and the boys had flashes in 2017 with 10 wins. It’s made us feel optimistic with the young talent. Then putting all our chips in on Shaw Robinson screwed us. Set the offense back 2 years, which in turn set the whole team back. We have the talent to be really good next year if the O-line works “hard” on perfecting their craft in the off season. Anything less than 9 wins in 2021 will be a failure with the last three years recruiting classes. It’s on Gary and his coaches. We can complete with anyone in this Conf, even OU.
Substitute Sonny Cumbie for Shawn Robinson in your post and then we are almost on the same page.

Diehard

Cumbie is already gone. So now what happens? Totally new OC with new ideas. Rearrange from within?

I certainly would like to see a new, experienced, proven QB coach. I never saw improvement of any of the QB's during Cumbie's term, and that includes Boykin: he started out hot in 2014, played about the same in 2015...more of a system change than QB development. Boykin was in his fourth year in 2014 with two years starting experience. Kenny Hill did not look that good until in his fifth year after a summer with a QB "guru". If anything, Duggan looks worse throwing the ball now than he did his first few games. Once again the only constant factor 2016-2020, when the offense performed about the same was Cumbie.

I am favor at least of bring in a QB coach from an FCS or G5 school that has consistently developed new QB's. There are those out there who perform this year after year, QB after QB. No excuses of "he was a once in a generation QB." Although he seems a great guy, I think HIll is a little too inexperienced and unproven. Duggan is just too talented a QB to keep playing (throwing) like he has. He needs a coach who will truly develop him.

I look for improvement, taking into account other factors such as injuries. For that reason I think Anderson did the best coaching job on offense this year, or maybe even the whole team.

On defense, get replacements ready and figure out why were were so prone to blown assignments. I always expect 1 or maybe 2 per game, but this year you could count on a receiver catching the ball with nobody around him or a RB who would not get touched

Anyway, I look forward to see what changes are made after the bowl system.[

Think it's been suggested here before, but Graham Harrell should be our new OC/QB coach.