• The KillerFrogs

And now, finally, football has reached the "evaluation" phase

Limp Lizard

Cumbie is already gone. So now what happens? Totally new OC with new ideas. Rearrange from within?

I certainly would like to see a new, experienced, proven QB coach. I never saw improvement of any of the QB's during Cumbie's term, and that includes Boykin: he started out hot in 2014, played about the same in 2015...more of a system change than QB development. Boykin was in his fourth year in 2014 with two years starting experience. Kenny Hill did not look that good until in his fifth year after a summer with a QB "guru". If anything, Duggan looks worse throwing the ball now than he did his first few games. Once again the only constant factor 2016-2020, when the offense performed about the same was Cumbie.

I am favor at least of bring in a QB coach from an FCS or G5 school that has consistently developed new QB's. There are those out there who perform this year after year, QB after QB. No excuses of "he was a once in a generation QB." Although he seems a great guy, I think HIll is a little too inexperienced and unproven. Duggan is just too talented a QB to keep playing (throwing) like he has. He needs a coach who will truly develop him.

I look for improvement, taking into account other factors such as injuries. For that reason I think Anderson did the best coaching job on offense this year, or maybe even the whole team.

On defense, get replacements ready and figure out why were were so prone to blown assignments. I always expect 1 or maybe 2 per game, but this year you could count on a receiver catching the ball with nobody around him or a RB who would not get touched

Anyway, I look forward to see what changes are made after the bowl system.

Eight

Cumbie is already gone. So now what happens? Totally new OC with new ideas. Rearrange from within?

I certainly would like to see a new, experienced, proven QB coach. I never saw improvement of any of the QB's during Cumbie's term, and that includes Boykin: he started out hot in 2014, played about the same in 2015...more of a system change than QB development. Boykin was in his fourth year in 2014 with two years starting experience. Kenny Hill did not look that good until in his fifth year after a summer with a QB "guru". If anything, Duggan looks worse throwing the ball now than he did his first few games. Once again the only constant factor 2016-2020, when the offense performed about the same was Cumbie.

I am favor at least of bring in a QB coach from an FCS or G5 school that has consistently developed new QB's. There are those out there who perform this year after year, QB after QB. No excuses of "he was a once in a generation QB." Although he seems a great guy, I think HIll is a little too inexperienced and unproven. Duggan is just too talented a QB to keep playing (throwing) like he has. He needs a coach who will truly develop him.

I look for improvement, taking into account other factors such as injuries. For that reason I think Anderson did the best coaching job on offense this year, or maybe even the whole team.

On defense, get replacements ready and figure out why were were so prone to blown assignments. I always expect 1 or maybe 2 per game, but this year you could count on a receiver catching the ball with nobody around him or a RB who would not get touched

"I look forward to see what changes are made after the bowl system"

2588a42e1e8f53cd67646cf3aca9d363.gif

Salfrog

Tier 1

You know the routine. All of the coaches go into a room with chairs arranged in a circle. They all stand around the chairs, then music is played. As the music is playing, the coaches are all walking around the chairs. When the music stops, the coaches suddenly stop & sit in a chair with the coaching positions taped under the seats. That's how the coaching shuffle is done here. No new blood, or ideas. Just wash, rinse, repeat. It's the Patterson way.

Pharm Frog

You know the routine. All of the coaches go into a room with chairs arranged in a circle. They all stand around the chairs, then music is played. As the music is playing, the coaches are all walking around the chairs. When the music stops, the coaches suddenly stop & sit in a chair with the coaching positions taped under the seats. That's how the coaching shuffle is done here. No new blood, or ideas. Just wash, rinse, repeat. It's the Patterson way.

Since we’ve exhausted all the groomsmen by now maybe we start with the ushers?

OICU812

Gives me sads to read this and have to face up to the fact that Gary's more concerned with Gary's comfort than with Gary's results.
He's peaked. He seems uninterested in reaching for anything higher.
When you as a leader, scratch that, "boss," surround yourself with sycophants because you need people who will tell you what they think you want to hear, rather than what they think you NEED to hear, you are done. You aren't growing, and neither is your team.
Contrast that with St. Nick, who for all his cranky old scheiss demeanor, is constantly bringing in guys with different points of view who will challenge him to adapt and grow.
He gets it. He's a real leader who has the most type-A personality imaginable, isn't content with what's pretty good, or what will keep him comfortable. He only willing to accept what's going to make his team better today, and tomorrow, and scheiss everything else.
We are who our record says we are. Sigh.

West Coast Johnny

I am hoping we go in a different direction on offense. Seems that most of the Big 12 schools are spread option teams that rely on deception and a QB 'reading' the defense. Wouldn't mind seeing a power running game with tight-ends and fullbacks. (I know, not going to happen).

Froggish

Next year the staff will not include anyone you don’t already know. So unless one of the individuals you already know suddenly becomes a conduit of brilliant football creativity, we are who we are offensive and defensively...

Id say right now I’d place the over under at 2 more years of GP and he’s gone. Given that, there is really no motivation for him to introduce any outside coaches or ideas into the TCU ecosphere. That kind of change in a program almost always is pushed down from Admin and Boosters. At TCU that kind of pressure doesn’t exist in the slightest

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Well, I for one am happy that the year closes out with Sonny hitting the road. He represented a lot of potential at one time, and he never developed into what it was thought he could. His players never blossomed under his tutelage (QBs) and the unit cohesion of his Offenses never came together fully. Maybe it will all magically happen for him at Tech. But, he's no longer our problem. Adios...

QB is the single most important position we have. I don't think Kenny Hill is the answer. I have never liked him, and believe that he showed terrible attitude as a player. That he was hired as a mentor and Coach was shocking, considering the attitude issues. He's in a position to move up with Cumbie gone. If it was me calling the shots, he'd be gone. Again, our QBs haven't developed and consistently show bad fundamentals and mechanics. That is directly attributable to coaching. We have an opportunity to remedy that.

Clean slate. Fresh start.

4th. down

Gives me sads to read this and have to face up to the fact that Gary's more concerned with Gary's comfort than with Gary's results.
He's peaked. He seems uninterested in reaching for anything higher.
When you as a leader, scratch that, "boss," surround yourself with sycophants because you need people who will tell you what they think you want to hear, rather than what they think you NEED to hear, you are done. You aren't growing, and neither is your team.
Contrast that with St. Nick, who for all his cranky old scheiss demeanor, is constantly bringing in guys with different points of view who will challenge him to adapt and grow.
He gets it. He's a real leader who has the most type-A personality imaginable, isn't content with what's pretty good, or what will keep him comfortable. He only willing to accept what's going to make his team better today, and tomorrow, and scheiss everything else.
We are who our record says we are. Sigh.

Yep, your record is your report card.......and Covid 19 and all different types of reasons will not change it.

If we don't start recruiting better QBs and developing them more than when they got here, even 3rd, in conf. is doubtful to be obtainable. It's the QB, first and foremost. OU wins because of consecutive Heisman QBs and current 5* starting QB. Rumor and that's all it is, Kenny at the QB coach.......he may be a great guy, recruiter and all that but what Power 5 QB has he developed? Now really, would Nick, or Riley, or Dabo be considering Kenny if they had a QB coach opening......shows you how far from reality we are.........sad actually.

Putt4Purple

Well, I for one am happy that the year closes out with Sonny hitting the road. He represented a lot of potential at one time, and he never developed into what it was thought he could. His players never blossomed under his tutelage (QBs) and the unit cohesion of his Offenses never came together fully. Maybe it will all magically happen for him at Tech. But, he's no longer our problem. Adios...

QB is the single most important position we have. I don't think Kenny Hill is the answer. I have never liked him, and believe that he showed terrible attitude as a player. That he was hired as a mentor and Coach was shocking, considering the attitude issues. He's in a position to move up with Cumbie gone. If it was me calling the shots, he'd be gone. Again, our QBs haven't developed and consistently show bad fundamentals and mechanics. That is directly attributable to coaching. We have an opportunity to remedy that.

Reluctantly I agree with you.

Horned Toad

Where do you guys come up with some of this [ Finebaum ]? I swear. You really think CGP is just sitting around fat and happy playing his guitar and only worried about his defense looking good? We recruit well but not at the level of OU and UT past the first team yet we’ve pretty much owned UT since we joined the conference. We don’t have their depth. CGP has done more with less since he got here and that’s not a knock on our players, just the reality that he has to deal with. He has to grow up our depth. That’s been his biggest challenge. Sure he could bring in some whiz bang offensive guru and the new guy would still be faced with the depth issue. We don’t have any 5 stars riding the pine waiting three years for their chance to shine. Doesn’t take a genius to understand that we are who we are.

Putt4Purple

You have disparaged and slandered Kenny Hill.
Waiting for a counter punch from I-Frog.