• The KillerFrogs

Game Thread TCU NDSU

CountryFrog

The broadcast crew made a couple of references to that guy being the best shooter on the team last year. He was just off to a horrible start this year. We took their best shot and won.
I think that you may be thinking of someone else. There was another guy who fits what you're saying but there was also a guy who just has no history at all of being a good shooter and was splashing them in from 26 feet.

Pharm Frog

Fuller saved our arse the last 5 minutes.

I think it was more than just PJ that saved our arse but he was foremost among them. But again the team found a way to win in the last 5 minutes instead of finding a way to lose. The Frogs aren’t near the elite of the conference but keep doing stuff like that and you quickly become the team that nobody really wants to face at home or away. Wins become self-fulfilling and doubts/fears appear in the opponent.

To me a defining moment was the late game inbounds play to Todd. That was a play executed well and Lord knows we’ve struggled with that type of play for years. Maybe this team is developing the coachability and discipline to become good sooner rather than later. Of course there will be relapses but looking momentarily brighter than in a long time IMO.

netty2424

Why celebrate wins when you can [ hundin] about them? After this year, I am convinced that the average person will never be satisfied and LOVES complaining. I get there are things we could have done better. They got wide open looks from the perimeter and our defense looked pretty soft u Tim the end. This could have been a game they put in the “bad loss” category if were on the bubble. Thankfully we found a way to win and it won’t be in that column. Hopefully we learn from it and get better.

This reminds me of when we used to [ hundin] about winning by too few points and not getting style points in football. These kids bust their asses every damn day. Celebrate every win...no matter what.
Complaining about complaining. Is that like a double negative, makes a positive type thing?
source.gif

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I'd invite the Negative Nancies to think about this...

Struggling in stretches against teams like NDSU happens. It happens to every team. To good teams. Even to great teams, just less frequently. It happened to KU against these very opponents.

Our team 2 years ago or even last year, when down 5 in the second half, would likely have hit the panic button. They would play tight, get frustrated, and we probably lose that game.

Now this team, while it did find itself in that suboptimal position, found the strength to compose itself, clamp down on D, and not just come back, but also win with a little breathing room. That's evidence of maturation. That's the type of in-game attitude we want. I saw very little to be disappointed about last night, outside of minor issues. I took it as a positive.

Farmfrog

The problem I had with the game was about game play. I was taught that how you control the game both offensively and defensively is what’s important. NDSU certainly was more in control of the game even when behind and that falls on the coaching. Even as good as the offense was they were never able to put a clamp on the game.

We have two guys playing at a high level, Mike and RJ, and they are almost willing us to wins. Mike has been even better than I thought he would be and RJ has matured into a really good player. PJ, Todd and Easley were good. Easley with 11 boards and four assists was huge.

Let’s continue to get better every day and hope we can get a few conference wins.

CountryFrog

The problem I had with the game was about game play. I was taught that how you control the game both offensively and defensively is what’s important. NDSU certainly was more in control of the game even when behind and that falls on the coaching. Even as good as the offense was they were never able to put a clamp on the game.

We have two guys playing at a high level, Mike and RJ, and they are almost willing us to wins. Mike has been even better than I thought he would be and RJ has matured into a really good player. PJ, Todd and Easley were good. Easley with 11 boards and four assists was huge.

Let’s continue to get better every day and hope we can get a few conference wins.
Agree for the most part especially with the comments on Miles and RJ. But if you have two guys on the floor playing at a really high level like they are then that's going to win you a whole lot of games.

Can't wait to see what they look like against Baylor and Kansas. Then we see if this is just a fun team to watch with a bright future or a team that can be really good right now.

Eight

not sure many would disagree with the thought that the frogs need to get better defensively if they are going to finish in the top half of the conference this year. you can't depend upon shooting 56% from the floor and 46% from 3-pt each night especially against some of the defensive squads the frogs are going to face when they get deep into conference play.

pharm hit the nail though when regardless of how that game was played last night the frogs found a way to win it instead of letting it get away and the is big.

offensively i didn't feel as if one player was forcing things and really didn't find myself pondering why someone just took the shot they did instead of letting things flow in the half court.

consider these two numbers, 4 assists and 2 turnovers. those aren't the numbers for pj, rj, mike or todd. those are the numbers for kevin samuel last night and i am pretty damn certain that 4 assists are a career high for him.

granted, kevin isn't about to become bill walton at the high post for the blazers in dr jack ramsey's motion offense, but the fact he got 9 shots and had enough touches to get 4 assists tells me the ball isn't sticking in the hands of 1 player who is dribbling the stripes off the ball as we have seen in the past

heck, mickey pearson had 2 assists last night and easley had 4 as well. there have been complete games the past few seasons where the frogs starting back court didn't turn in a line of 10 assists to 3 turnovers.

things are about to get real very fast for the frogs after new year's and we will see if the frogs can continue this style of play, if dixon will trust his players when things get tough, will the players trust each other or revert to going 1 on 5, and can they continue the mindset pharm mentioned as key to the win.

we will see, but i will say the type of play i have seen in the last 2 games gives me hope it could continue and with improved defensive effort i think that gives the frogs their best chance to compete in the big 12.

Francis Xavier

not sure many would disagree with the thought that the frogs need to get better defensively if they are going to finish in the top half of the conference this year. you can't depend upon shooting 56% from the floor and 46% from 3-pt each night especially against some of the defensive squads the frogs are going to face when they get deep into conference play.

pharm hit the nail though when regardless of how that game was played last night the frogs found a way to win it instead of letting it get away and the is big.

offensively i didn't feel as if one player was forcing things and really didn't find myself pondering why someone just took the shot they did instead of letting things flow in the half court.

consider these two numbers, 4 assists and 2 turnovers. those aren't the numbers for pj, rj, mike or todd. those are the numbers for kevin samuel last night and i am pretty damn certain that 4 assists are a career high for him.

granted, kevin isn't about to become bill walton at the high post for the blazers in dr jack ramsey's motion offense, but the fact he got 9 shots and had enough touches to get 4 assists tells me the ball isn't sticking in the hands of 1 player who is dribbling the stripes off the ball as we have seen in the past

heck, mickey pearson had 2 assists last night and easley had 4 as well. there have been complete games the past few seasons where the frogs starting back court didn't turn in a line of 10 assists to 3 turnovers.

things are about to get real very fast for the frogs after new year's and we will see if the frogs can continue this style of play, if dixon will trust his players when things get tough, will the players trust each other or revert to going 1 on 5, and can they continue the mindset pharm mentioned as key to the win.

we will see, but i will say the type of play i have seen in the last 2 games gives me hope it could continue and with improved defensive effort i think that gives the frogs their best chance to compete in the big 12.
The encouraging thing is that we are not getting huge results out of some guys that can play better. Rj and Mike look like all conference.

I also think PJ has that ability with Todd as well.

I am encouraged

Purp

That matchup last night was a really bad one for KS. He's clearly not a perimeter defender so facing a stretch 5 he's going to ride the struggle bus. We've got to do a better job of game planning for that when we play teams with weapons like that opposite Big Kev. The good news is there aren't a ton of guys like that in our league unless someone tries to go small against us. IMO, if we correct that one matchup problem in the game plan we'd have looked much better on both ends of the floor and the game wouldn't have been very close.

Sure, we could have defended the 3 better knowing they were going to launch from anywhere, but they made a ton of shots I'd let them take 100 times out of 100 all night long. Sometimes you can't defend well enough to stop some hot hands.

The last 5 minutes of the game was really well played by the Frogs and the last minute and a half in the 1st was also a nice close, especially considering the 16-0 run they'd been on. If we don't answer that run the way we did the last 90 seconds of the first half I don't think we win that game. This team has matured and is starting to play like a group that expects to go out and win tough ballgames instead of the one we've had that just tries to stay close enough to have a chance at the end.

PurpleBlood87

I'd love to have a couple of those NDSU players on the TCU roster. They had size, could move well with and without the ball and could really shoot.

Dogfrog

It was pretty obvious their game plan. Both teams took 58 shots. 50% of NDSU shots were 3’s. They made 44.8% of their 3’s and 41% of their 2’s. They beat us on the boards 30-28, mostly by pulling KS out on defense and KS had only 3 defensive boards along with 3 offensive boards. Easley was our leading rebounder with 11.

41% of our shots were 3’s and we made 45.8%. 59% were 2’s and we made 67% of twos.

FT’s bad - we shot 10 /19. NDSU 13/16.

Last edited: