• The KillerFrogs

Sarasota Magazine: Boston Celtics Co-Owner and Business Leader James Cash on Breaking Barriers

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Boston Celtics Co-Owner and Business Leader James Cash on Breaking Barriers

A rare interview with the former basketball star and first Black tenured Harvard Business School faculty member.

By Heather Dunhill

James_Cash_Kinsey_w4788b.jpg

Dr. James Cash has broken barriers since he was a teenager. Born and raised in Fort Worth, Texas, Cash played for Coach Bob Hughes, the winningest coach in the history of boys’ high school basketball, who taught Cash a lifelong motto: “Everyone has the will to succeed, but not everyone has the will to prepare.” Cash lived that motto, starting in 1965, when he became the first Black scholarship athlete in the Southwest Conference (SWC) at Texas Christian University (TCU).

At 6-foot 6-inches tall, Cash became a basketball star. He earned Academic All-America honors in 1968 and 1969, rounding out his senior year as an All-Southwest Conference player before graduating with a B.S. in mathematics. In 1994, at the NCAA Final Four, Cash received the Silver Anniversary Award, which recognized six distinguished athletes on the 25th anniversaries of their college careers. Cash was honored alongside Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jo Jo White, Mike Krzyzewski and George Thompson.

Read more at https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/ne...oston-celtics-james-cash-on-breaking-barriers

East Coast

Tier 1
I agree with you. Dr. Cash is in my top 10 of most admired people. This is an excellent article. I never knew how much his teammates stood up for him on the road.