• The KillerFrogs

Cumbie to tech?

Limey Frog

In the first half of the season we beat a current top 25 team and lost by 3 to a current top 10 team. As for the second half, if you can't acknowledge legitimate progress then you either don't really know what you're looking at or you're just being purposefully disagreeable (which I can respect because I do that all the time).

The fact that we got steadily better in the second half is precisely the point. We always do. GP still knows how to improve a team steadily during a season; he always pulls us out of the nose-dive before crashing entirely, then he tells himself that we're "pretty close" and changes nothing. If you recruit the third best class in the conference five years in a row, you have the talent to do more than steadily improve toward respectability down the home stretch every season without ever convincing anyone that you're actually competing or relevant. Honestly, who is talking about us being contenders in the Big XII? No one. It's just Gary and some posters on here talking themselves into how close we are.

96th passing offense nationally is not close. Two offensive TDs combined vs. ISU, KSU, and WVU is not close. Thrashing KU and La Tech isn't meaningful progress. Yes, we got better, but if the program was healthy we wouldn't start so poorly every year and we wouldn't be utterly irrelevant.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
In the first half of the season we beat a current top 25 team and lost by 3 to a current top 10 team. As for the second half, if you can't acknowledge legitimate progress then you either don't really know what you're looking at or you're just being purposefully disagreeable (which I can respect because I do that all the time).
We have healthy Max (available all game) for ISU and we win that game.

FBallFan123

The fact that we got steadily better in the second half is precisely the point. We always do. GP still knows how to improve a team steadily during a season; he always pulls us out of the nose-dive before crashing entirely, then he tells himself that we're "pretty close" and changes nothing. If you recruit the third best class in the conference five years in a row, you have the talent to do more than steadily improve toward respectability down the home stretch every season without ever convincing anyone that you're actually competing or relevant. Honestly, who is talking about us being contenders in the Big XII? No one. It's just Gary and some posters on here talking themselves into how close we are.

96th passing offense nationally is not close. Two offensive TDs combined vs. ISU, KSU, and WVU is not close. Thrashing KU and La Tech isn't meaningful progress. Yes, we got better, but if the program was healthy we wouldn't start so poorly every year and we wouldn't be utterly irrelevant.

Completely disagree.

TCU hasn’t had an upperclassmen QB lead the offense since Kenny Hill in 2017.

TCU went 11-3 that season and made the Big 12 championship game.

Here’s what that offense looked like...

2017 Big 12 rankings:
Passing: 8th (245.1 yards/game)
Rushing: 4th (174.1 yards/game)

Heres what this season’s offense looked like...

2020 Big 12 rankings:
Passing: 8th (196.3 yards/game)
Rushing: 1st (214.7 yards/game)

I think Duggan and the young group of running’s back TCU can be dynamic in the run game.

The passing offense has to improve and I think it will.

But I think TCU can be competitive at the top of the conference with a great run-game and even just a somewhat improved passing game.

4th. down

Completely disagree.

TCU went 11-3 that season and made the Big 12 championship game.

Here’s what that offense looked like...

2017 Big 12 rankings:
Passing: 8th (245.1 yards/game)
Rushing: 4th (174.1 yards/game)

Heres what this season’s offense looked like...

2020 Big 12 rankings:
Passing: 8th (196.3 yards/game)
Rushing: 1st (214.7 yards/game)

I think Duggan and the young group of running’s back TCU can be dynamic in the run game.

The passing offense has to improve and I think it will.

But I think TCU can be competitive at the top of the conference with a great run-game and even just a somewhat improved passing game.

Many of us are not giving Max the benefit of the doubt here.......next season his 3rd. year and that's when Dalton and Boykin took off and they didn't have Covid, missing Spring Ball, or have heart surgery. He has a constant fire burning inside him that is evident by the way he plays and specifically how he breaks free for those long TDs.........let the trend be your friend and the trend is up.

back_in_black

Moderators
[QUOTE="Limey Frog, post: 2952434, member: 16969"

96th passing offense nationally is not close. Two offensive TDs combined vs. ISU, KSU, and WVU is not close. Thrashing KU and La Tech isn't meaningful progress. Yes, we got better, but if the program was healthy we wouldn't start so poorly every year and we wouldn't be utterly irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you get 2 offensive TD’s combined against ISU, KSU, and WVU. Duggan had 3 TD’s in one half against ISU. We had 4 offensive TD’s (passes) in that game.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I always took 20 when going back and forth to Fort Worth from law school, four-hour drive. Took 287 one day on a whim. While riding with the windows down somewhere between Seymour and Lubbock a huge hornet flew into my '73 VW Beetle. I stayed on the gas so the air would force it to stay in the rear of the vehicle. Haven't been that way since.
The murdering type?

Moose Stuff

So many things wrong with this post. I'm always amused by people that go on rants that don't know the slightest thing about our team.

LoudFrog

We improved a bit on offense from 2019 but we still weren't "good". You can't win the B12 without throwing the ball effectively. We finished with the the best rushing offense in the league and still finished middle of the pack in the standings. The reason was we couldn't throw it as well as the teams that finished ahead of us. The two teams who finished with the highest Comp%, Yards per Completion, and Passer rating, played in the B12 Title game. Those teams ran the ball plenty as well.

The reality is we don't have to throw it 35 times a game, but we have to throw and compete enough balls to get big plays and flip field when things aren't working out for you. No matter how punishing your run game is it won't be enough on it's own to win big. Neither Cumbie or Meacham have yet find that right balance.
Guys, Sonny and Meach Did not control the offense. Meach called the plays But they did not call the offense they wanted to. It was dictated 100% by Gary who wanted his defense to look good. These guys have a high powered offense that they were not able to use with a quarterback that is not accurate. This offense was 100% dictated by Gary Patterson so the defense would look good. If you want a better offense you need Gary to allow it to happen

Limey Frog

Not sure where you get 2 offensive TD’s combined against ISU, KSU, and WVU. Duggan had 3 TD’s in one half against ISU. We had 4 offensive TD’s (passes) in that game.

I got that from inaccurate memory. I watched the game live, didn't rewatch after and haven't looked at a box score since. So I guess we scored more than 1TD; fine. We consistently stalled when it mattered. That's been true for three seasons. Spin whatever stats however you like, digest the box scores in detail, etc. It doesn't change the major take-away available with one utterly forgettable first-take viewing: we're anemic when it matters and basically irrelevant. One of our offensive TDs vs. ISU came on a 15-yard field after Purdy's epic unforced over-the-shoulder interception toss, so we scored three combined offensive TDs of significant yardage in those games rather than two. That doesn't disprove my basic point.

Ask yourselves this: when was the last game we entered a game as one of two relevant, quality teams actually in contention for the conference championship and rose up to win that game convincingly. We haven't done that since Stillwater in 2017. I don't think you can make a convincing case for any TCU win since then. That's three solid seasons now of exclusively winning games that either have no wider significance beyond a win for its own sake, or which only served to give the perennial optimists/GP fodder for convincing themselves that next year will be different.

Why would next year be different?

Completely disagree.

TCU went 11-3 that season and made the Big 12 championship game...

I think this is the important question, actually. We'll see next year whether TCU can be competitive again once we have an upperclass QB. Tre was inconsistent as a sophomore; once Kenny Hill put his turnover problems behind him as a senior he was very good. I have no faith in this offensive staff at all, but they have won with a couple of talented upperclassmen QBs, albeit only for a combined three seasons in nine as a Big XII member [personally, I think those numbers are terrible; I don't think we joined this league to bat .300 in relevance/irrelevance over a decade]. Hopefully they'll do it again next year and prove me overly despondent/pessimistic. GP certainly won't change anything until then, nor after if I'm proved right.

Suppose the upperclassman QB doesn't make the difference, though? If we start 2-4 again next year before finishing 5-1 will the optimists take the "we're on the right track" line again? How many years of this is too many? Six of nine is enough data for me.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Guys, Sonny and Meach Did not control the offense. Meach called the plays But they did not call the offense they wanted to. It was dictated 100% by Gary who wanted his defense to look good. These guys have a high powered offense that they were not able to use with a quarterback that is not accurate. This offense was 100% dictated by Gary Patterson so the defense would look good. If you want a better offense you need Gary to allow it to happen
What if I want a worse offense? Then what do I need to do?

LoudFrog

What if I want a worse offense? Then what do I need to do?
Countryfrog, it may as well Have been you running the offense this year. Gary would not stand for anything else. Max was afraid to throw passes. If he incompletes a pass Max would get his butt chewed out. Not a good look for Gary. Kind of like last year when Gary iced the kickers. Those guys have to have all the confidence in the world before kicking. Max has basically been iced by Gary. If Gary controls the offense he can make his defense look good. He can’t do that when you’re scoring 45 points a game

Stupid.