• The KillerFrogs

Cumbie to tech?

CountryFrog

Bram had already played in the system a couple of years down at UH under Meach. He already knew the system. Forget who their QB coach was, but he was better at developing QBs than Cumbie.
I get it. I'm not viewing Cumbie's overall body of work differently regardless of anything Bram did or didn't do. Just thought it was worth pointing out we did have at least one pretty notable performance from a backup QB.

netty2424

I'm talking about recruiting. Part of recruiting is evaluation as to whether a player will fit in to what you want to do. Apparently SR is not a good QB, the jury is out on JR but he could not get him on the field here, the jury is still out on Max. Ok, and now I'll mention Brennon Wooten who he thought was a cornerstone player.
The Wooten thing will forever be a head scratcher. It was so blatantly clear he was not a D1 QB. I have no idea what they saw there.

But Robinson and Rogers had red carpets rolled out to almost any university in the country. Sometimes players simply don’t pan out. Peak early, don’t put in the work,aren’t a fit in the system, etc.

If Cumbie’s recruiting failed in that process, so did every single coach/program who offered him along the way that also would have take his commitment. These were both high four star, borderline five star recruits by the recruiting sites.

Alamo_Frog

And how good is his recruiting? His two most sought after recruits are playing safety for Missouri and the other transferred to UNLV after he couldn't get him on the field here. I'd say the jury is still out on Max but he hasn't yet developed into a guy that defenses exactly fear beating them with his arm. In other words, not a single QB he recruited out of HS has developed into a top level Big 12 QB and I'm not even going to mention all the stock he put in Brennen Wooten who looked like a middle school child on the field and who couldn't even make basic college throws.

Not taking a side, but it’s unclear to me why such an emphasis on HS recruit to top level b12 QB. Is Lincoln aware that this is the standard by which he should be judged? Two Heisman candidates that we didn’t recruit from HS but became elite QBs would be fine by me at TCU.

JockO de Frog

Boykin already was a great athletic QB. He was just in the wrong system his first couple of years under the AnderBurns OC years. Meach brought in the perfect system for Boykins skills.
Oh please. No one on staff or on this board thought Boykin would work out as a quarterback in 2013. Heck, they had already moved him to wide receiver.

CountryFrog

Boykin. Went from very average to terrific in 2014
Exactly. No need to completely discredit every single thing that happened while Cumbie was here even if you don't think he did a good job overall. Fact is Boykin was a guy who showed potential in his first 2 years and then was one of the best players in the sport his last 2.

Now there are obviously other factors that contribute, the largest of course being the player himself. But admitting that Cumbie at the very least did an ok job with Boykin doesn't mean you then have to love everything else he did or even anything else he did.

flyfishingfrog

You are so wrong here and you are so off it is ridiculous. Our best recruiter by far and if anyone believes the problems with the offense had anything to do with anyone other than CGP they are kidding themselves.

Will be a big loss if he accepts which is expected.
Yeah people keep saying that and our offense keeps sucking wind- which it didn’t before him

but somehow it’s still GPs fault

Cumbie has missed on every QB since he got here but he is supposed to be a great QB coach?

w00t frog

At the end of the day, he barely kept his job after the last couple of years to the point we needed to bring Meach back and bring Kill in. Cumbie may have been a good recruiter for us and we might miss that part, but he didn’t get the most out of the talent that we brought in over the last several years.

Outside of doing a reset which I don’t think Patterson will do yet, why not elevate Kenny Hill to QB coach and see what he can do with Max and the new QBs coming in.

Salfrog

Tier 1
Oh please. No one on staff or on this board thought Boykin would work out as a quarterback in 2013. Heck, they had already moved him to wide receiver.

I believe he was moved to RB his Freshman year ('12) right before Pachall's incident, and was moved back to QB the Friday before the Iowa State game, and was the QB the rest of the season. When Pachall came back to be the starter the following year ('13), he was moved to WR because he was too athletic to keep off of the field. When Pachall broke his wrist, Boykin became the starting QB again.

Timeline may be a little fuzzy, but that's what happened. It was split about 50/50 on who thought he would make a good college QB, so I wouldn't say no one here or on staff believed he would never be a QB.

Boykins success was due to the installation of a system that highlighted his strengths, not Cumbie. If Cumbie was such a great QB guru, why all of the bad QB play after Boykin? Don't bring Hill into this. Again, Dykes came in and built the offense around what Hill did best.

Last edited:

FBallFan123

And how good is his recruiting? His two most sought after recruits are playing safety for Missouri and the other transferred to UNLV after he couldn't get him on the field here. I'd say the jury is still out on Max but he hasn't yet developed into a guy that defenses exactly fear beating them with his arm. In other words, not a single QB he recruited out of HS has developed into a top level Big 12 QB and I'm not even going to mention all the stock he put in Brennen Wooten who looked like a middle school child on the field and who couldn't even make basic college throws.

I get what you’re saying ... but Rodgers had committed BEFORE he had the devastating injury in HS.

Cant really hold that against Cumbie.

Robinson, Rodgers, Duggan ... all considered top HS QB talents.

None have taken snaps at TCU as an upperclassman.

I still have high expectations for Duggan.

You did list a QB transferring to UNLV because he couldn't get on the field here. How else was I supposed to interpret that?

Look I'm not defending Cumbie at all nor was I attempting to disagree with your overall point. I just don't see any reason why anything that happened with Rogers should be held against Cumbie or the staff.
I certainly never had any association with his injury even remotely as a thought. As you said, it was a freak injury. The word on Rogers all last season was that he was healthy but held the ball too long and had difficulty reading defenses and, as a result fell behind Downing on the depth chart. Downing was never going to be a P5 quality QB. Period. Rogers might be, but for whatever reason, Cumbie could not get him to a point where the coaches were comfortable with him on the field and he subsequently transferred to UNLV which is just a factual statement.