• The KillerFrogs

The Notre Dame and TCU rule in CFP

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Scheduling sucks across college football. For the most part teams want to play as many punching back games they can find while not making it look totally obvious and simultaneously trying to argue that they aren't doing that. Said it many times, the FCS games need to be history. It's a complete joke that anyone plays them, and most SEC teams play two I believe. And the top half of the AAC and MAC are somewhat competitive but the MAC, Sun Belt and C-USA have no business trying to play for the same football championship as the SEC, those leagues are so watered down its a joke. Ranting a bit here but go look at some of the schedules played in the 70's and 80's. Everyone started getting soft at about the start of the 90's and it's just gotten worse.

The flip side is shutting them out so as ensuring they never have a chance to rise. TCU rebuilt the program beginning with Fran as a member of the WAC, CUSA and MWC looking for those games against top programs for the chance to win and receive a nice payday, TV exposure and TV revenue, to fight our w ay back to the Big 12.

Wexahu

The flip side is shutting them out so as ensuring they never have a chance to rise. TCU rebuilt the program beginning with Fran as a member of the WAC, CUSA and MWC looking for those games against top programs for the chance to win and receive a nice payday, TV exposure and TV revenue, to fight our w ay back to the Big 12.

Realistically there are only about 8-10 G5 programs that could pull something off like TCU did, and they are all in the AAC and MW. Nobody is going to shut those teams out and not play them, unless they just want to dodge competition. Same for a small handful of programs in the other three G5 leagues.

Simply eliminating the FCS games would go a long way but you know these P5 programs love being able to buy a W instead of actually competing for one.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Realistically there are only about 8-10 G5 programs that could pull something off like TCU did, and they are all in the AAC and MW. Nobody is going to shut those teams out and not play them, unless they just want to dodge competition. Same for a small handful of programs in the other three G5 leagues.

Simply eliminating the FCS games would go a long way but you know these P5 programs love being able to buy a W instead of actually competing for one.
Sure, they make for a nice scrimmage to open the season. As long as you don't do like Michigan or Nebraska have recently and they ended up being the ones in the body bags and having to write a big check.

Wexahu

Sure, they make for a nice scrimmage to open the season. As long as you don't do like Michigan or Nebraska have recently and they ended up being the ones in the body bags and having to write a big check.

Recently? App State beat Michigan 14 years ago. And Nebraska has never lost to an FCS team.

They are a waste of time and provide little entertainment or value other than coaches being able to put an easy W on the board. If teams want a nice scrimmage, they can easily schedule one or play an intersquad scrimmage, but that 's not really what they want. The games shouldn't count.

Moose Stuff

If not the Aggies, who should have made it? I assume you disagree with Ohio State too, and probably Notre Dame as well. Well, you gotta have four.

For the record, I was surprised the Aggies didn't get in. When looking at their resume vs ND, it really is very close, an argument could be made either way, I just thought the freshness of the 34-10 Clemson loss would do ND in. But, if Notre Dame played A&M, I think ND wins that game more often than not. And FWIW, if Ohio State would play A&M, I think OSU wins much more often than not.

It was a weird year.

Nobody really DESERVED the last spot this year.... so give me undefeated conf champ Cincinnati.

Customarily, the selection committee always seems to anoint certain teams with a degree

of nepotism. These 'sacred cows' seem to be held on a different plateau than their ordinary

adversaries. Look no farther than TCU's 2010 bushwhacking.

LSU Game Attendee

If not the Aggies, who should have made it? I assume you disagree with Ohio State too, and probably Notre Dame as well. Well, you gotta have four.

For the record, I was surprised the Aggies didn't get in. When looking at their resume vs ND, it really is very close, an argument could be made either way, I just thought the freshness of the 34-10 Clemson loss would do ND in. But, if Notre Dame played A&M, I think ND wins that game more often than not. And FWIW, if Ohio State would play A&M, I think OSU wins much more often than not.

It was a weird year.
I’m fully non-aggy, but have to admit their “best-loss” profile is most like 2014 frogs.

CountryFrog

I'll never be convinced of anything that I don't currently believe.
I think this is what you meant to say.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Some people might say the same about me. The only difference is that I'm actually right about everything.

CountryFrog

Nobody really DESERVED the last spot this year.... so give me undefeated conf champ Cincinnati.
The deserve part doesn't have anything to do with it for me. No one deserves it. You either accomplish certain things on the field or you don't.

So to me I think Notre Dame should be 3 and OU 4th based on their on field accomplishments.

BleedNPurple

Listening to Jimbo Saturday saying if Aggie doesn’t get in there’s something wrong with the system - I knew what was coming next. I told my Aggie buds Saturday night better luck next year. They haven’t cracked the ESPN East Coast media complex yet.

westoverhillbilly

I so hope A&M loses in the Orange Bowl. The Aggies had a special year I guess with LSU down and all, but one good (but not undefeated) year after many mediocre years doesn't carry weight with the CFP voters. They shouldn't have lost to Bama by 4 touchdowns if they wanted to be included. Not getting into their conference championship game (ever as a SEC member), while not being a complete disqualifier, is still not a good look even when playing in the SEC west.

Endless Purple

Lots of issues. I would rather OSU than Aggie in the CFI, but really Cincy over Ohio St. I have skimmed over the comments here and instead of quoting any one specific just a summary of points.

First Cincy is an undefeated conference champion. enough said.

Strength of schedule - Cincy is claimed to be weaker due to conference. That apparently is not all that important as some have said. 2014 - it was almost universally agreed that Florida St was the weakest link in the final 4 (TCU and OSU should have been in) and would lose the first game due to a weak schedule and the "eyeball" test they touted. Their only top ranked victory was Notre Dame (5 at the time) but ended up a 7-5 team so not really a top 5 team for their credit. So Cincy has played their schedule more dominant than Fl St played theirs and neither really had a top 20 opponent. Precedence: Cincy in

Number of Games: - 2014 again. Ohio St had that extra data point and that justified them over TCU or Baylor. This year Ohio St has 6 games to Cincy 9 games. Not just one more data point, but three more.

AddRan Clark

But we proved ourselves in that game, just as we've always done. Except for the fiesta bowl.

Darn it, I guess I'll take a lap for bringing that up.

I was at the BCS selection show "rally" in '09 at the DMC, and I genuinely believe that we lost that game when we heard we were playing Boise State. I could see how deflated the players were. I felt the same way, as I think we all did. I think it also added to the Rose Bowl the next year, because we finally did get a shot against one of the power schools.