• The KillerFrogs

Really OT: TCU Tuition

TCU2002

He's a little young due to graduating high school in three years, so he wants to stay close to home. Plus, if he actually makes it all the way to National Merit Scholar, (he'll almost certainly be at least a finalist), UT-D has the best scholarship offer of pretty much any school. And STEM, so undergrad doesn't matter as much as other majors.

Definitely have him look at the McDermott Scholars program at UT-Dallas if he is in NM Finalist range. My career is college counseling, and the McDermott is one of the most outstanding scholarship programs in the country.

https://www.utdallas.edu/mcdermott/

ECoastFrog

do you need a $200,000 degree to be an effective teacher?

TCU had, and maybe still has, one of the finest music education departments in the state. Why does TCU bother?

Moreover, my point is that I don't think anyone should be paying $200K for a degree. For the very few alums that will make enough to afford that student loan, we could instead charge them a reasonable tuition, and then ask them to donate to a TCU scholarship program.

Again, I don't think TCU should be for rich kids only. A student body of rich folks. most of them likely white, lacks input from class and probably race differences, which is important to any intellectual, aesthetic or spiritual conversation.

Spike

Thirty-four years may also see someone hit the industry's peak, tumble into the trough, and hang on out of sheer orneriness until they can retire or die. If they're lucky, they don't burn through all of the cash trying to keep it alive.

Probably 85% of my law practice relates to debt. I remember having a consult w a commercial mechanic who owned his own shop. He'd had just enough good years to keep the dream of self employment alive. I remember telling him that I wasn't sure if I was preaching to him or to myself.

BleedNPurple

Made a boat load early - learned a valuable painful lesson about partners who couldn’t resist a buyout. I’ve leaned that business owners need to bank it when they can so they’ll have the proceeds to get the company through the lean times.

My father always said The business owner casts their bread upon the water and hopes it comes back buttered. He was right but he didn’t have the guts to be an entrepreneur and my business always drove him crazy and he never understood how it works. Suffice to say- I don’t qualify for the food stamp program and to date have no regrets. Everything is on the network - the game has come to me and we sell everything these days for Scata, Industrial, Security, Data Centers, Wide area Fiber rings, DAS, Wireless, Fiber to the Home, 5G etc... but we always know it can all go away in a heartbeat. After the 2002 Dot.Bomb we diversified into every related area and more. We don’t want to be painted into a corner and have to stay on top of technology.

BleedNPurple

I really enjoy working with the kids who are getting into my industry- a lot of enthusiasm and they’re going to do well! I do a lot of training classes and consulting for contractors and end users and there’s no other job or business I’d rather be doing.

If the day comes I decided to retire I think I’d last about 2 months and probably start another business. I’ve started 5 businesses and they’re all still going. I have a friend who works for me who is 70 years old and is doing awesome. He retired for a month and decided he wasn’t ready to die and got back into the biz and is making big bucks and having a ball. Lucky for him OK/ Ar / Ks/ Mo are all still having face to face meetings with customers so he can get out and shake it! Half my week is Zoom meetings and the other half is walking new project sites, giving classes, or bidding new projects! A lot of our industry is working from home with orders not to see vendors.

TCUdirtbag

TCU had, and maybe still has, one of the finest music education departments in the state. Why does TCU bother?

Moreover, my point is that I don't think anyone should be paying $200K for a degree. For the very few alums that will make enough to afford that student loan, we could instead charge them a reasonable tuition, and then ask them to donate to a TCU scholarship program.

Again, I don't think TCU should be for rich kids only. A student body of rich folks. most of them likely white, lacks input from class and probably race differences, which is important to any intellectual, aesthetic or spiritual conversation.

I agree few degrees are worth $200k.

But I also think we should look at degree cost as average cost, not sticker price. For example, TCU is upping the discount rate from 36% to 45%. That means $51,570 (2020-21 and 2021-22 sticker price) is actually $33,008 and $28,364, respectively, on average. Are most TCU degrees worth $100k-125k? I think yes. Maybe that’s hitting the upper bound—especially in some majors—but that’s a price tag that is justifiable for many.

No one should pay sticker price of $200k for an education, music education, or environmental science degree from TCU IMO. But a business degree from TCU at $115k? That’s a lot but not beyond reason.

Eight

But I also think we should look at degree cost as average cost, not sticker price. For example, TCU is upping the discount rate from 36% to 45%. That means $51,570 (2020-21 and 2021-22 sticker price) is actually $33,008 and $28,364, respectively, on average. Are most TCU degrees worth $100k-125k? I think yes. Maybe that’s hitting the upper bound—especially in some majors—but that’s a price tag that is justifiable for many.

No one should pay sticker price of $200k for an education, music education, or environmental science degree from TCU IMO. But a business degree from TCU at $115k? That’s a lot but not beyond reason.

for clarification, a student at tcu can expect roughly $18-23,000 in scholarship?

ticketfrog123

what is a discount rate and where is that data published? I’ve only seen TCU publish “financial aid” numbers which include loans

eh0215

9yr olds are making millions doing youtube videos.

We're all suckers for believing you need a college degree to do anything in the current age.

You can learn anything on the internet now.

Frog Art

Do we expect teachers to have a college degree? I assume most folks would say 'yes.'

How can a prospective teacher go to TCU, knowing they will make $50K yearly, with insignificant raises over the years, and expect to pay back these loans?

Even loans for cheaper schools are going to be tough to pay back by the K-12 teacher.

In order to teach in high achieving school districts educators need a masters to even have someone look at their resume. Teachers are in a job market that doesn’t economically support their education costs. Some degrees that are necessary but not high paying should receive tuition breaks or greater scholarships to offset the the cost of their education.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
In order to teach in high achieving school districts educators need a masters to even have someone look at their resume. Teachers are in a job market that doesn’t economically support their education costs. Some degrees that are necessary but not high paying should receive tuition breaks or greater scholarships to offset the the cost of their education.

Liked for your avatar.

Pharm Frog

And who's gonna tell us which "degrees" are necessary? I'm 100% opposed to that. Just put the information into the marketplace and let people make an informed decision. Odd that too few are talking about "evolving" or "revolutionizing" an approach to education. It's not as if "free", universal, public education has been around very long in the course of history in the west. (Arguably a Reformation idea with American roots in Puritan colonies but only about a century of codified structure). Perhaps the model needs to be changed and radically. Isn't it about time for a full-fledged re-examination? The current model sure doesn't show signs of strong improvement. The fact that your post anchors on "high achieving" school districts is case in point.

Dogfrog

Made a boat load early - learned a valuable painful lesson about partners who couldn’t resist a buyout. I’ve leaned that business owners need to bank it when they can so they’ll have the proceeds to get the company through the lean times.

My father always said The business owner casts their bread upon the water and hopes it comes back buttered. He was right but he didn’t have the guts to be an entrepreneur and my business always drove him crazy and he never understood how it works. Suffice to say- I don’t qualify for the food stamp program and to date have no regrets. Everything is on the network - the game has come to me and we sell everything these days for Scata, Industrial, Security, Data Centers, Wide area Fiber rings, DAS, Wireless, Fiber to the Home, 5G etc... but we always know it can all go away in a heartbeat. After the 2002 Dot.Bomb we diversified into every related area and more. We don’t want to be painted into a corner and have to stay on top of technology.

Great story. Way back in the Stone Age, 80’s and 90’s, I did business with all the buried copper, then copper & fiber telecom wire & cable manufacturers. Did IWCS every year , which I think has declined a bit. AT&T exiting, and their patents expiring, fiber, and internet has created lots of opportunities. Congrats.

BleedNPurple

Great story. Way back in the Stone Age, 80’s and 90’s, I did business with all the buried copper, then copper & fiber telecom wire & cable manufacturers. Did IWCS every year , which I think has declined a bit. AT&T exiting, and their patents expiring, fiber, and internet has created lots of opportunities. Congrats.
What a long strange trip it has been (-:

Brog

Seems to me that all this discussion about whether a degree is worth $200,000 or not ignores one fact. The $200,000 pays not just for a degree, but for four years of social delight, good times, fun for the fortunate student. Swimming pools, climbing walls, apartment like dorms, gyms, concerts, athletic events, etc, etc, etc. And I'm not arguing against all this, just observing that it's not just a degree that is bought.