• The KillerFrogs

The Notre Dame and TCU rule in CFP

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Here is how college football works: Notre Dame is ranked third, gets drubbed by No. 2 Clemson, and drops to 4th to make the playoffs. In 2014 TCU was ranked No. 3 in the last week, beat Iowa State by 52 points, and was dropped to No. 6 to keep the Frogs out of the playoffs. View attachment 8310

Before Wexosu chimes in, ND had the data point championship game we didn’t. Now, next year, since they will be an independent again, with one loss, the TCU rule should apply...but I’d guess it wouldn’t.

Mean Purple

While Ohio St was -5 data points... and still made the playoffs.
Yep.
2014, our loss was on the road to a top 10. Ohio State lost to a below average Va Tech team that reg season. And we would have beaten the crap out of Wisky if we would have played them that year too.

CFP can stick their data points up their ...

However, still don't think aggy should have been in. I was hoping they would make aggy play OU. I think OU would curb stomp them.

Wexahu

Yep.
2014, our loss was on the road to a top 10. Ohio State lost to a below average Va Tech team that reg season. And we would have beaten the crap out of Wisky if we would have played them that year too.

CFP can stick their data points up their ...

However, still don't think aggy should have been in. I was hoping they would make aggy play OU. I think OU would curb stomp them.

If not the Aggies, who should have made it? I assume you disagree with Ohio State too, and probably Notre Dame as well. Well, you gotta have four.

For the record, I was surprised the Aggies didn't get in. When looking at their resume vs ND, it really is very close, an argument could be made either way, I just thought the freshness of the 34-10 Clemson loss would do ND in. But, if Notre Dame played A&M, I think ND wins that game more often than not. And FWIW, if Ohio State would play A&M, I think OSU wins much more often than not.

It was a weird year.

Mean Purple

If not the Aggies, who should have made it? I assume you disagree with Ohio State too, and probably Notre Dame as well. Well, you gotta have four.

For the record, I was surprised the Aggies didn't get in. When looking at their resume vs ND, it really is very close, an argument could be made either way, I just thought the freshness of the 34-10 Clemson loss would do ND in. But, if Notre Dame played A&M, I think ND wins that game more often than not. And FWIW, if Ohio State would play A&M, I think OSU wins much more often than not.

It was a weird year.
ND and tOSU are better than aggy in my opinion.

Wexahu

In the end, it won’t matter. There are 2 seriously elite teams and then it drops off quickly from there. Ohio State is probably a distant 3rd. Bama and Clemson are completely different level it seems.

Agreed, I don’t see anyone beating those two. OSU can probably match up the best with them talent wise but they haven’t shown the dominance Bama and Clemson have.

Armadillo

I'm over it. Took awhile, but over it.

Whether or not TCU ever wins a NC, I will always have the Rose Bowl. That was incredible and I felt like we had just won the NC. I was there and stayed for 4 hours afterwards.

The Peach bowl was perhaps our best team. I feel we coulda won the NC that year. But we proved ourselves in that game, just as we've always done. Except for the fiesta bowl.

Darn it, I guess I'll take a lap for bringing that up.

Wexahu

I would like to have seen Cincy get in. The non power 5 schools are as excluded as ever. Would not mind something like the option of a play in game between Aggie and ND.

The non power 5 schools were completely excluded this year, and rightfully so, when OOC games were not played. That's just the way it is. No way you let a team in a 4-team playoff that hasn't played one P5 school.

I'd feel more sorry for them if they really stepped up their OOC schedules. This year Cincy was to play Austin Peay, Western Michigan, Miami (Ohio), and Nebraska. As it turned out, they only play Austin Peay. I'm sorry, if you want to be treated on equal footing with the big boys, don't schedule an FCS team and two MAC schools in your OOC. Doing so doesn't do anything to balance the playing field with the 65 teams that play the big boys every year.

That year Houston played OU and a very good Lamar Jackson-led Louisville team? That's what they need to do. If those teams won't give you a home and home, too bad, go play them at their place. The 65 P5 teams have road games against the best teams every year.

Jackson

Then there’s ESPN’s darling Ohio State who plays 1/2 a schedule against a bunch of lousy Teams.....including Indiana & Northwestern. The Big X Members decided to play a reduced schedule and shouldn’t have even been considered for the Playoffs.
Wait until you see the betting lines on games day. Both Clemsen & Bama favored by more than a TD.

Wexahu

Then there’s ESPN’s darling Ohio State who plays 1/2 a schedule against a bunch of lousy Teams.....including Indiana & Northwestern. The Big X Members decided to play a reduced schedule and shouldn’t have even been considered for the Playoffs.
Wait until you see the betting lines on games day. Both Clemsen & Bama favored by more than a TD.

More than a TD? What would the betting lines be if A&M or Cincy were playing? More than 3 TDs?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I would like to have seen Cincy get in. The non power 5 schools are as excluded as ever. Would not mind something like the option of a play in game between Aggie and ND.

I doubt beating Tulsa with a walk off FG was enough to impress most people much less the committee.

Spike

The non power 5 schools were completely excluded this year, and rightfully so, when OOC games were not played. That's just the way it is. No way you let a team in a 4-team playoff that hasn't played one P5 school.

I'd feel more sorry for them if they really stepped up their OOC schedules. This year Cincy was to play Austin Peay, Western Michigan, Miami (Ohio), and Nebraska. As it turned out, they only play Austin Peay. I'm sorry, if you want to be treated on equal footing with the big boys, don't schedule an FCS team and two MAC schools in your OOC. Doing so doesn't do anything to balance the playing field with the 65 teams that play the big boys every year.

That year Houston played OU and a very good Lamar Jackson-led Louisville team? That's what they need to do. If those teams won't give you a home and home, too bad, go play them at their place. The 65 P5 teams have road games against the best teams every year.

Guessing you forgot how hard it was for The Frogs to get anyone to play them? Even know these home n homes become 1 and done's at Jerry World.

Wexahu

Guessing you forgot how hard it was for The Frogs to get anyone to play them? Even know these home n homes become 1 and done's at Jerry World.

I'll never be convinced those schools couldn't play better schedules if they truly wanted to. Bottom line, those coaches and ADs want the easy gimme games as much as the power programs do.

Scheduling sucks across college football. For the most part teams want to play as many punching back games they can find while not making it look totally obvious and simultaneously trying to argue that they aren't doing that. Said it many times, the FCS games need to be history. It's a complete joke that anyone plays them, and most SEC teams play two I believe. And the top half of the AAC and MAC are somewhat competitive but the MAC, Sun Belt and C-USA have no business trying to play for the same football championship as the SEC, those leagues are so watered down its a joke. Ranting a bit here but go look at some of the schedules played in the 70's and 80's. Everyone started getting soft at about the start of the 90's and it's just gotten worse.