• The KillerFrogs

3rd highest rated signing class of the CGP era

Like a dfw radio personality said last week, these class rankings mean even less than they did before with the advent of the transfer portal. Take UT and freshman qb Ja'Quinden Jackson who was the 24th ranked recruit in the u.s. and helped UT's 2020 recruiting class rankings, yet he'll never set foot on the field for UT. So take class rankings however you will.

How do you know we don't? Maybe because in most instances, nationally we'd be wasting time and money? Just food for thought.

Fair point I just don’t see offers for the top 300 ESPN recruits from TCU. I don’t see us after the top recruits in Texas either. We finally broke through with Evans hopefully we can make TCU a destination for top talent especially in the trenches.

Moose Stuff

Like a dfw radio personality said last week, these class rankings mean even less than they did before with the advent of the transfer portal. Take UT and freshman qb Ja'Quinden Jackson who was the 24th ranked recruit in the u.s. and helped UT's 2020 recruiting class rankings, yet he'll never set foot on the field for UT. So take class rankings however you will.

If the rankings mean very little then explain to me why the teams like Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, LSU.... are always in the top 10 borh in recruiting and on the field? The reason teams like Michigan and Texas are always ranked high in recruiting but not on the field isn't because the recruiting rankings aren't meaningful, it's because their head coaches suck.

Last edited:
If the rankings mean very little then explain to me why the teams like Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, LSU.... are always in the top 10 in the top in recruiting and on the field? The reason teams like Michigan and Texas are always ranked high in recruiting but not on the field isn't because the recruiting rankings aren't meaningful, it's because their head coaches suck.

Exactly. If you have a sucky coach, the recruiting class rankings mean nothing. They also aren't even true rankings anymore because a school still gets credit for having a great recruiting class when because of injury and the transfer portal their class wasn't in fact that great.

Moose Stuff

Exactly. If you have a sucky coach, the recruiting class rankings mean nothing. They also aren't even true rankings anymore because a school still gets credit for having a great recruiting class when because of injury and the transfer portal their class wasn't in fact that great.

The rankings are a semi accurate snap shot of the level of talent brought in during that recruiting period. That's it, that's all they are. Future injuries and transfers don't have any bearing on that. The vast vast majority of the teams that are winning titles are in the top 10 in recruiting every year. Recruiting is IMMENSELY meaningful.

BleedNPurple

The high ranked recruiting teams = excellent tested talent pool to bring in players through the transfer portal. One of our best recruiting tools!

The rankings are a semi accurate snap shot of the level of talent brought in during that recruiting period. That's it, that's all they are. Future injuries and transfers don't have any bearing on that. The vast vast majority of the teams that are winning titles are in the top 10 in recruiting every year. Recruiting is IMMENSELY meaningful.

Exactly. Semi-accurate. Which means not very much

Just reading through this thread for the first time and don't even get the point of the debate. Of course recruiting matters as do player rankings in projecting the likelihood of having the physical attributes to excel at the next level. Not every player who is highly ranked will succeed and many players that are not will develop into good college players but the law of averages says that the more a roster is comprised of these players, the greater the chance that team will have better players than those who don't. It's funny that people even argue this just like it is funny that people will conversely argue that having the best coaches doesn't matter as much as having the best players. It all matters. Just look at the players who played for Alabama and Clemson today and look at the offensive concepts those teams utilize. These teams win because they have the best players and the best coaches that develop those players and put them in position to succeed.

Unfortunately, to the extent that this is true, and it is plainly obvious that it is, the playoff era in college football has only served to consolidate the concentration of players (especially but not limited to the interior lines), coaches and analysts at a few schools making it that much more difficult for someone else to catch that lightening in the bottle that makes an exception to the rule.

Froggish

Want to point out that looking at roster talent is a better way of deciding which teams have recruited well or not. It’s still flawed but 247 has a team talent composite that looks at the entire rosters overall talent level. This is a way of accounting for transfers and discipline issues that can’t be caught by initial recruiting rankings. Think of it as a low rent way of looking in rear

Last edited:

denverfrog

If the rankings mean very little then explain to me why the teams like Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, LSU.... are always in the top 10 borh in recruiting and on the field? The reason teams like Michigan and Texas are always ranked high in recruiting but not on the field isn't because the recruiting rankings aren't meaningful, it's because their head coaches suck.
Recruiting measures measurables. The converse of your argument is top programs tend to have really really good coaches.

Moose Stuff

Semi means half at best. So if half is good to you then tis you the loser. And the only thing I'm losing is getting idiots to understand my statement.

Yeah.... I wasn't referring to what "semi accurate" means. I was referring to how important recruiting is. Glad you resurrected this thread to spout more nonsense.

Last edited: