• The KillerFrogs

Really OT: TCU Tuition

Endless Purple

I get your issues with it, but it's not saying you can't have english majors. It is just presenting the facts about the job market.

If you enroll to be an English Major, you have to pay X back verse what an Engineer did based on the market.

So when the English majors get to be scarce, the pay X back will switch back to an English Major.

I think this would be a good way to eliminate those underwater basket weaving majors. Where there is no job market, just an easy way to get a degree that won't pay off in the future.
Does TCU have underwater basket weaving majors, not sure I have seen a worthless major, but have not looked recently? Who decides what is not worthwhile for society? just the paycheck?

Wexahu

Does TCU have underwater basket weaving majors, not sure I have seen a worthless major, but have not looked recently? Who decides what is not worthwhile for society? just the paycheck?

It's stupid to spend $60k/year + to pursue an elementary education degree, or a psychology degree, or a criminal justice degree, or a sociology degree, or, or, or.......

They aren't worthless majors, but you don't need a $250,000 TCU degree to go be a 4th grade teacher. You just need A degree, from just about any 4-year school that offers that program.

researchfrog

If you're $250,000+ in debt with a degree that qualifies you for a $27,000/yr job and that tops out in the mid sixties after decades of experience, it might not be worthwhile. That's more about the chosen educational path than the worth of the degree.

CryptoMiner

So everyone will chase the "hot jobs" and by the time they graduate those jobs would be flooded with recent grads and no longer pay the rates they expected and there would be shortages in other areas which then become the "hot jobs" until....

Horny4TCU

If taking underwater basket weaving brings you joy, you can still take that as a major. But if you want to take out a loan, because you cannot afford a useless degree.... then yeah society and the paycheck have determined underwater basket weaving is not the best use of your time and effort. Take it on your own dime or pay a lot for a loan.

Horny4TCU

So everyone will chase the "hot jobs" and by the time they graduate those jobs would be flooded with recent grads and no longer pay the rates they expected and there would be shortages in other areas which then become the "hot jobs" until....
Invisible hand?

If the loans were able to keep up with market trends, I don't see an issue. If the trends are only updated every 4 years, then the market and loan system would never work or be able to match demand.

Eight

don't disagree with the idea that for some majors the idea of going to an expensive school doesn't completely make good sense i also find it interesting that so much weight is placed on the degree when life has shown us a number of individuals will change professions after school or start a business

the idea that cost of the degree should correlate to potential income earned is looking at this wrong and the real question is why the scheiss does any four your degree costs so damn much.

ECoastFrog

It is not just teachers. TCU has well respected areas in the arts. Should those be dropped because they are not just high paying careers?

My point, as well. Funneling a person into a field of study because that's what pays well can have little to nothing to do with that person's talents or life's calling. Also, what about religious studies? Preachers are often poorly paid, as well.

Pharm Frog

don't disagree with the idea that for some majors the idea of going to an expensive school doesn't completely make good sense i also find it interesting that so much weight is placed on the degree when life has shown us a number of individuals will change professions after school or start a business

the idea that cost of the degree should correlate to potential income earned is looking at this wrong and the real question is why the scheiss does any four your degree costs so damn much.

You and I see this exactly the same way.

flyfishingfrog

Did they also mention the looming birth dearth/enrollment cliff? The pandemic is merely exacerbating/accelerating imminent enrollment decreases that higher ed was already barreling toward.

FWIW, TCU is pretty well positioned for what is coming.
Exactly

The 2025 cliff that will last a decade is going to make this year look like nothing

>10% drop in college age students will accelerate the change of the entire system simply because we have too many slots for incoming freshman already

Given how ridiculous college $ are, I talked a lot abt this with my wife and while we do not have children (yet) if and when we do we will likely give them a proffer: a) Here's $$ to start a business, pending on the plan you send us; or b) Here's the $$ to go to university. I could be completely off base on this idea but hell, I do not know a lick abt parenting.

flyfishingfrog

If I sent my son to Rice, Yale, or Chicago, he wouldn't pay any tuition because we don't make enough. (And yes, he is well within the admissions range for those schools.) But TCU offers him a scholarship for half tuition. So he'll probably end up at UT-D. TCU isn't particularly interested in high-achieving, middle class kids.
Did he early decision?

Because that profile seems to fit the center of the target for high scholarship levels - but you have to early decision at TCU for those because they are almost all gone for the normal decision process

flyfishingfrog

Given how ridiculous college $ are, I talked a lot abt this with my wife and while we do not have children (yet) if and when we do we will likely give them a proffer: a) Here's $$ to start a business, pending on the plan you send us; or b) Here's the $$ to go to university. I could be completely off base on this idea but hell, I do not know a lick abt parenting.
You want to hand a 18-19 year old kid a bunch of money to start a business- and you see this as a plan for success?

westoverhillbilly

So many people forget and/or minimize the social factor/advantage that TCU has over all but a few other colleges in this world. My daughter graduated from TCU three and a half years ago with a political science degree and a fair/mediocre GPA but quite a few activities. We figured her options were either grad/law school or a menial job as polysci is kind of known as one of the lesser paying majors. She was immediately hired by an employer who figured she knew how to act/react with people of means. Her salary dwarfed what I received 40 years ago after finishing at a state school even when adjusted for inflation.

I know this doesn't apply to all majors and many don't care or think about this distinctive advantage. But, when comparing my daughter's experience with that of her brother (a year older who went to Arky) and his friends there with higher GPA's and supposedly more marketable majors/skills and comparable activities to those of my daughter, TCU wins overwhelmingly. Same when compared to their friends that went to other Big 12/SEC universities.

Many of my friends from the 70s who went to TCU catapulted themselves into great and meaningful careers and achievements in no small part with the connections, friends and spouses they got when here. In my opinion, it is a truly unique and special place.

Endless Purple

If taking underwater basket weaving brings you joy, you can still take that as a major. But if you want to take out a loan, because you cannot afford a useless degree.... then yeah society and the paycheck have determined underwater basket weaving is not the best use of your time and effort. Take it on your own dime or pay a lot for a loan.
Back to the question. Does TCU teach underwater basketweaving?