• The KillerFrogs

Baylor, Briles scandal before NCAA committee today

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Wow.

The real story of this incident is not so much in what happened at Rape U., but the total reluctance of those in positions of authority to do anything about it. I mean, this was five years ago! We have known most of what there is to know for roughly that long. The U.S. DOJ wouldn't touch it with gloves on. Ditto the State of Texas. McLennan County was helping with the sweeping and rug placement. The NCAA hid in the basement until recently.

I recall a description of the musical The Mikado as "a play about the lengths to which bureaucrats will go to avoid doing their jobs." It is on display right now.

While Rape U. richly deserves the Death Penalty, in addition to Drawing and Quartering, and Heads Displayed on Pikes, and quite possibly razing the buildings and sowing the grounds with salt, the kids who are there right now who would be punished, and the coaches whose jobs and livelihoods would be placed in jeopardy, didn't have a thing to do with the incidents themselves, or create the conditions for them to thrive. Those persons are long gone. Justice will be delivered to the innocent.*

Screw it. I taking some crazy pills. And washing them down with Scotch.

*Yeah, I know. Nobody's "innocent" that takes a paycheck from Rape U. I hear ya. But, in this particular instance, the #CAB creeps aren't being tied to a stake and watching in horror while kindling is heaped about their feet. I am all for manful thwacks being delivered upon the guilty, but these kids didn't do anything. Meanwhile, Warden Art is being talked up for this job or that, with all probability of landing a richly paying gig in the near future. The guilty cleared town scot free.

Eight

Wow.

The real story of this incident is not so much in what happened at Rape U., but the total reluctance of those in positions of authority to do anything about it. I mean, this was five years ago! We have known most of what there is to know for roughly that long. The U.S. DOJ wouldn't touch it with gloves on. Ditto the State of Texas. McLennan County was helping with the sweeping and rug placement. The NCAA hid in the basement until recently.

I recall a description of the musical The Mikado as "a play about the lengths to which bureaucrats will go to avoid doing their jobs." It is on display right now.

While Rape U. richly deserves the Death Penalty, in addition to Drawing and Quartering, and Heads Displayed on Pikes, and quite possibly razing the buildings and sowing the grounds with salt, the kids who are there right now who would be punished, and the coaches whose jobs and livelihoods would be placed in jeopardy, didn't have a thing to do with the incidents themselves, or create the conditions for them to thrive. Those persons are long gone. Justice will be delivered to the innocent.*

*Yeah, I know. Nobody's "innocent" that takes a paycheck from Rape U. I hear ya. But, in this particular instance, the #CAB creeps aren't being tied to a stake and watching in horror while kindling is heaped about their feet. I am all for manful thwacks being delivered upon the guilty, but these kids didn't do anything. Meanwhile, Warden Art is being talked up for this job or that, with all probability of landing a richly paying gig in the near future. The guilty cleared town scot free.

how different is this than what was done at penn state where there was complicity among multiple parties to cover up decades of abuse?

as far as the state of texas, no it wasn't the STATE of texas but one piece of [ Finebaum ] baylor alum who only got elected attorney general of this state because of the side of the ticket he ran on for goodness sake.

this is baylor, the school that had a basketball coach help try to cover up the murder of a player by another player.

this is the school that had a basketball player die from taking steroids given to him by the strength and conditioning coach.

at least barry won some national titles for all the gang rapes, drug peddling, and players shooting players over cassette tapes in norman

Tumbleweed

This is exactly what the internet is all about. Unfounded, speculation, by someone of influence who is a healthy bank depositor. Over a drink or phone conversation the person mentions it to a friend and bow it's off and running as a "internet maybe." Then picked up and spread a bit further into digital world. Hell as far as we know Briles may have started this in the first place. Wouldn't put it past him. His reputation will follow him forever and that picture of him says more than all of the words written so!

BrewingFrog

how different is this than what was done at penn state where there was complicity among multiple parties to cover up decades of abuse?

as far as the state of texas, no it wasn't the STATE of texas but one piece of [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] baylor alum who only got elected attorney general of this state because of the side of the ticket he ran on for goodness sake.

this is baylor, the school that had a basketball coach help try to cover up the murder of a player by another player.

this is the school that had a basketball player die from taking steroids given to him by the strength and conditioning coach.

at least barry won some national titles for all the gang rapes, drug peddling, and players shooting players over cassette tapes in norman
I stand second to none in my disgust at Baylor and it's actions through the years. All of what you say is true, but my vein of bile was primarily aimed at the relevant authorities who have as their charge the policing of the ethics of the Universities they minister to.

In the case of Penn State, the State jumped in pretty quickly, and the School and Alumni reacted with absolute horror at the revelations. Joe Pa's statue was torn out and is presumably still mouldering in a closet somewhere in State College, covered by a tarp. For all I know, it's remains might be holding nitro and primer in my gun safe...

In contrast to Penn State and their reaction to the horrors done, the Baylor Community has closed ranks and supported #CAB. "It was all a plot by the Longhorns, don'tcha see." Those people are utterly delusional, and while I lamented the punishment of players and coaches who had nothing to do with the situation the punishment is presumably being meted out for, the fanbase and alumni will indeed suffer shame and humiliation galore. Cold comfort to the victims, of course, but satisfying on one small level I suppose.

The State of Texas did involve the Rangers in investigating the goings-on in Waco, after the conduct of the County Attorney in McLennan County. He was un-elected soon after. The new guy is said to be more helpful. The stink got to be too bad for even Paxton to sit around whiffing.

Oh, and you left out the mutilated family pets. Let's keep our outrages in order, shall we?

OmniscienceFrog

Wow.

Yes, the players and coaches there now had nothing to do with what went on 5+ years ago, but if you let the school sit on it and hide it until it all gets out like they did, then just say "oh, it's OK" because they got rid of the scum after the damage had long been done, it just sends the message that you can get away scot free from just about anything by getting rid of all the offenders long after the fact, just to save your athletic department's ass.

Now, you show that the hammer is going to come down, regardless of the fact they "finally" cleaned house to buy your forgiveness, you're sending the message that "you go sign up to coach or play for that school, you are subject to the penalties earned by the program before you got there". Now that might make them think twice about coaching or playing for that school. Is that tough? Yeah it is, but how tough was it on the female student athletes that were abused by a bunch of dirtbag male athletes and never acted on, but rather covered up by their coaches and school administrators?

Might actually make a school keep track of what's going on in their athletic department if they know there is going to be a steep price to pay, whether it's now or years from now.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

admittedly it’s been a while since I thought about this, but while I hate Briles immensely and think he’s a worm of the lowest order, it was always my impression that there was some truth to the claim that he was a scapegoat of sorts. Certainly guilty in his own right, but the real issues with Baylor were school-wide and their board tried to dump it all on football in the hope that it went away when he was fired.

BrewingFrog

Yes, the players and coaches there now had nothing to do with what went on 5+ years ago, but if you let the school sit on it and hide it until it all gets out like they did, then just say "oh, it's OK" because they got rid of the scum after the damage had long been done, it just sends the message that you can get away scot free from just about anything by getting rid of all the offenders long after the fact, just to save your athletic department's ass.

Now, you show that the hammer is going to come down, regardless of the fact they "finally" cleaned house to buy your forgiveness, you're sending the message that "you go sign up to coach or play for that school, you are subject to the penalties earned by the program before you got there". Now that might make them think twice about coaching or playing for that school. Is that tough? Yeah it is, but how tough was it on the female student athletes that were abused by a bunch of dirtbag male athletes and never acted on, but rather covered up by their coaches and school administrators?

Might actually make a school keep track of what's going on in their athletic department if they know there is going to be a steep price to pay, whether it's now or years from now.
Swift, sure justice is but a dream...

Wexahu

admittedly it’s been a while since I thought about this, but while I hate Briles immensely and think he’s a worm of the lowest order, it was always my impression that there was some truth to the claim that he was a scapegoat of sorts. Certainly guilty in his own right, but the real issues with Baylor were school-wide and their board tried to dump it all on football in the hope that it went away when he was fired.

My thoughts too. I mean the guy is total trash, that was evident apparently from his Stephenville days, but I think there was also a lot of guilty before proven innocent going on too in terms of who did what, from non-Baylor fans just wanting the whole thing to be burned down for football related reasons.

I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, not that the truth shouldn't have been plenty enough to get the guy fired. Just the way those kids conducted themselves on the field and in interviews gave an indication that the guy in charge was scum.

MTfrog5

My thoughts too. I mean the guy is total trash, that was evident apparently from his Stephenville days, but I think there was also a lot of guilty before proven innocent going on too in terms of who did what, from non-Baylor fans just wanting the whole thing to be burned down for football related reasons.

I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, not that the truth shouldn't have been plenty enough to get the guy fired. Just the way those kids conducted themselves on the field and in interviews gave an indication that the guy in charge was scum.
It’s also the system he put in place so he could say he was “unaware”. He’s a POS who knew a lot more than anyone will ever know about what went on in his program.

Frogenstein

Art’s defense tells you all you need to know about him and Baylor. He isn’t arguing there was no coverup of sexual assaults by the football team. His argument is that since the school covered up sexual assaults by non-athletes it wasn’t an impermissible benefit for the football program to cover up sexual assaults. Which is why Baylor paid him the buyout to keep his mouth shut. What a cesspool.

HFrog1999

Baylor constructing giant closets? Something about Skeletons is just a rumor.

52797660_2369978499703290_2158205174861004800_n.jpg