• The KillerFrogs

Coaching Carousel 2020/21

Eight

I think he is definitely a good recruiter. I'm not sure what else he does well. Supposedly a good O-Line coach.

Malzahn has consistently had Top 10 recruiting classes but the talent gap between them and Bama or UGA is pretty wide.

think this does raise the question of is a job in the sec a good job to take simply because it is in the sec?

Eight

Not only that, but AU is in the midst of a basketball investigation. If they hired Freeze, the NCAA would open a satellite office in Auburn.

bruce pearl is an arsehole and deserves any [ Finebaum ] that falls upon him after what he did with deon thomas and thomas' teammate at simeon

Skip Jansen

think this does raise the question of is a job in the sec a good job to take simply because it is in the sec?

The SEC 'pull' is definitely real. It just got stronger with their new TV deal with Disney/ABC/ESPN as well.

Not all 14 schools have the same cache' but the top ones are attractive to coaches. They all have money, large fan bases, facilities, recruiting footprint, etc.

-Bama
-Auburn
-Georgia
-Florida
-LSU
-Texas A&M
-Tennessee (??)

Salfrog

Tier 1
Maybe Malzahn now ends up at Arizona. He would make a great OC/QB coach here, but have heard he is a bit of a control freak. So that wouldn't work here with GP. Besides, doubt he would want to go back to being a coordinator again right now.

Wexahu

Maybe Malzahn now ends up at Arizona. He would make a great OC/QB coach here, but have heard he is a bit of a control freak. So that wouldn't work here with GP. Besides, doubt he would want to go back to being a coordinator again right now.

No on him being an OC, and huge no on him being a QB coach.

Eight

The SEC 'pull' is definitely real. It just got stronger with their new TV deal with Disney/ABC/ESPN as well.

Not all 14 schools have the same cache' but the top ones are attractive to coaches. They all have money, large fan bases, facilities, recruiting footprint, etc.

-Bama
-Auburn
-Georgia
-Florida
-LSU
-Texas A&M
-Tennessee (??)

i am a fan of formula 1 and those few driver slots are highly coveted for the money, the profile, etc...but everyone knows you aren't going to compete for a true driver and team championship unless you have a competitive car and team and it isn't the same for each team

on the surface to me an sec football job is similar withone small problem with those fanbases are the expectations.

everyone of those schools you have listed have jobs with great privileges, but huge expectations and they have shown they won't hesitate to fire a coach who can't meet them

Skip Jansen

i am a fan of formula 1 and those few driver slots are highly coveted for the money, the profile, etc...but everyone knows you aren't going to compete for a true driver and team championship unless you have a competitive car and team and it isn't the same for each team

on the surface to me an sec football job is similar withone small problem with those fanbases are the expectations.

everyone of those schools you have listed have jobs with great privileges, but huge expectations and they have shown they won't hesitate to fire a coach who can't meet them

100% agree. The fan's expectations are never in line with what is realistic.

Saban's tenure at Bama has made that even worse. There's only one SEC champion each year and Saban has won most of them.

Frog-in-law1995

I think he would be more interested in a metropolitan job. Arizona seems like a subUrban job.

So that job is beneath him?

tenor.gif

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
100% agree. The fan's expectations are never in line with what is realistic.

Saban's tenure at Bama has made that even worse. There's only one SEC champion each year and Saban has won most of them.
Just how many more years will Saban stay active? Who would want to be the guy to fill those shoes?

Skip Jansen

Just how many more years will Saban stay active? Who would want to be the guy to fill those shoes?

I think he will coach 4-5 more years.

Following in his shoes will be next to impossible. A lot of people think it will be Dabo. But.... why would Dabo leave what he has built at Clemson? He'll never be revered at Bama like he is at CU. He's proven that he can win a NC at Clemson as well.

Unless the pull of coaching at his alma mater is so great, I don't see it happening. It will definitely be a high-profile type coach though.

I’m a longtime F1 fan as well... and you are correct, all the teams are quite different, you are not going to win unless you have a very fast car.. note George Russell’s performance last week from Williams to AMG

Wexahu

Not that it will happen but it would be interesting to see what a guy considered at the very top of his game, like a Saban of maybe a few years ago (he's still a the top, just getting older) or UM could do if they took a job at a place like TCU. Seems like a lot of the advantages, privileges etc would transfer over with them, just because of who they are. What do you think would happen to our recruiting if Urban Meyer took this job? You think A&M and Texas would still dominate recruiting in this state?

In some ways they'd still have everything they want less the ridiculous expectations. I know they aren't wired that way, but this job would seem like a more enjoyable experience.

Zubaz

Agreed, that's why Cole Trickle made made the jump to NASCAR. Racing open wheel he wanted to get to Indy but his name wasn't Andretti or Unser so he knew that couldn't happen.

He didn't realize there was nothing "stock" about a stock car.