• The KillerFrogs

Memories sweet...Comrades True. Congratulate Ross Bailey on his Retirement

Frog92

Before I arrived at TCU in the fall of 1988, heading there to try my skill at baseball, my hometown neighbor told me to go find Ross. They were college roommates.
I found the then head trainer Ross and have been endlessly impressed with him to this day.
Outstanding Frog, and one I am happy to know.
Good luck wherever your path may now lead!

Bill Bozeat

When his time started as student trainer in the early 70s he was great then and greater now
Sully is looking down so very proud.
Well earned retirement my friend

Moose Stuff

Before I arrived at TCU in the fall of 1988, heading there to try my skill at baseball, my hometown neighbor told me to go find Ross. They were college roommates.
I found the then head trainer Ross and have been endlessly impressed with him to this day.
Outstanding Frog, and one I am happy to know.
Good luck wherever your path may now lead!

Were you on the baseball team in the fall of 1989?

zfrawg

My wife married into the TCU family and had no clue what she was getting into. Her grandfather lived in Ohio his entire life with no connection to TCU, but adopted TCU and followed them closely after learning how much I loved the school.

In his 90s at the time, he made trip down to Fort Worth for Thanksgiving to stay with us. It was the only time that he'd been down this way since my wife and I were together and he wanted to go by and see the TCU stadium. My brother knows Ross and reached out. Ross agreed to give a tour of the stadium, suites and club section, and the player facilities. Knowing everything, he also gave all of a history lesson on the stadium.

Papaw died the following year back home in Ohio, but constantly talked about that trip and the tour in particular. He talked to everyone, including strangers, about the stadium and meeting coaches and players, he didn't but he was 93 at the time, so a little exaggeration never hurt anyone. It meant an incredible amount to our family that Ross took the time out of his day and provided such a memorable moment for us all. He provided one more story for a sweet man to share and celebrate in his final days.

Thank you and congrats on your retirement, Ross!

Frog92

Were you on the baseball team in the fall of 1989?
Briefly. I was one of the four freshmen from the prior year. Only two of us were left by the end of fall the following year, two of us were let go. The other two eventually transferred, as did the other let go. I considered it, but I chose TCU for school first and, if I was good enough, baseball second.

Last edited:

Bill Bozeat

There was a NAIA national championship being held at TWC back in 80s. One of teams was from Hawaii. They had been on road for couple weeks earning trip to play for Championship. Not going back to Hawaii at all. Their AD asked me if I knew where he could buy some athletic tape. He only brought enough for couple games and ran out I said I didnt but I knew the head trainer at TCU from my time there. Although had not talked to Ross in over 10 years I called him and told him what I needed. He said bring him over. The AD and I went to training room and Ross could not have been nicer. He told him what he needed and Ross got it all together. The AD pulls out a school check to pay for the supplies and Ross responds " naw we don't charge other schools for this. You need it take it". The AD was very thankful and told Ross "I hope to repay you someday" this was 100's of dollars worth of supplies
We walked to the car and AD is still dumbfounded that Ross would be that generous. He looks at me and says " how long had it been since talked to him last again? I said "over 10 years but thats Ross"
By the way. The Hawaii team won the national championship

Boomhauer

There was a NAIA national championship being held at TWC back in 80s. One of teams was from Hawaii. They had been on road for couple weeks earning trip to play for Championship. Not going back to Hawaii at all. Their AD asked me if I knew where he could buy some athletic tape. He only brought enough for couple games and ran out I said I didnt but I knew the head trainer at TCU from my time there. Although had not talked to Ross in over 10 years I called him and told him what I needed. He said bring him over. The AD and I went to training room and Ross could not have been nicer. He told him what he needed and Ross got it all together. The AD pulls out a school check to pay for the supplies and Ross responds " naw we don't charge other schools for this. You need it take it". The AD was very thankful and told Ross "I hope to repay you someday" this was 100's of dollars worth of supplies
We walked to the car and AD is still dumbfounded that Ross would be that generous. He looks at me and says " how long had it been since talked to him last again? I said "over 10 years but thats Ross"
By the way. The Hawaii team won the national championship

Wow, great story

Ross Bailey

Please share your memories and/or what to do with his new found$500 and much deserved time on his hands.
View attachment 8289[/Q
Ryann - thank you and the members for the nice comments. I have had a blessed career at TCU for 43.5 years. It is time for me to step aside and let the younger members of the department have their go. I've even passed on a gold lapel pin that Buster Brannon gave me back in 1976 with instructions to pass it on when I left.

I was always grateful that Abe Martin, Frank Windegger, Elmer Brown and Jim Sullenger took a skinny kid and taught him, grew him up and gave him a chance.

I'll finish my career with right at $500m in athletic construction projects under my belt and had the opportunity to work with many outstanding athletic trainers that I am so proud of these days as I follow their careers.

It is not time for me to sit on the couch, I'm in my 35th year volunteering for the Justin Sports Medicine Program as we cover over 200 rodeos a year. I'm going to do some consulting in the fields of athletic facility design and construction, athletic operations, emergency planning and maybe a little athletic training. I've also got 4 grandchildren to spoil and right now, a great wife to rehab from knee replacement surgery. Yes, ice and stim still play a role. They have just gotten a little more sophisticated.

I'm forever grateful to our alumni, letter winners and horned frogs friends who touched my life during my career. Without their help, TCU would still be living in the old SWC days. Don't look back and talk about the good old years. I lived it, worked it, they weren't that good. These are the good old days with better days ahead.

Go Frogs - Hail all Hail - Forever

Eight

Bill - give me a call sometime, I'd love to catch up. 817-257-7009

might suggest in the future you use the message function to pass your phone number to a poster unless you want to get calls from steelfrog reading bad prose or run the risk of financefrog signing up your number for calls for supplemental medicare insurance not that you are retired

Dogfrog

Over the years I sent Ross two emails asking for guidance on how to fix a couple of minor stadium related things. On both occasions his response later the same day was, in so many words, “fixed”. The first time I replied to his email thanking him for taking care of it so quickly, I copied DelConte. DelConte replied that this brought a tear to his eye like when he first heard the Old Rip story.

Latest posts