• The KillerFrogs

OT: Smoker Recommendation

Ron Swanson

No way. Straight on the grill. Gets a nice little char that melds well with the sweetness of the corn.
People always wrap it in foil, but that just keeps the corn from getting the grill flavor. May as well throw it in the oven.

Grilled corn can be fantastic, just keep rotating it or it can burn real quick.

tcumaniac

Funny this thread got resurrected.

I've been heavily considering giving in and buying a pellet smoker. I have a weber smokey mountain, which has made some great bbq and fits perfectly on my back patio (Don't have enough room for a full sized smoker), but while it's certainly more convenient than an off set, i'd cook even more if I could truly just plug something in, set it, and forget it. I was hoping to find a black friday deal that tempted me into pulling the trigger, but nothing was overwhelmingly enticing.

I continue to hear that pellet smokers simply can't get as much smoke flavor as a real smoke, or even a WSM for that matter, so I think for now I'm going to hold off and stick with what I've got.

Bob Sugar

I have a medium big green egg that is free to a good home if you come pick it up. It needs some serious TLC. The hinge works but is off-center and rusted. The inside ceramics are cracked, so you have to play jigsaw puzzle if you take it apart. The gasket needs to be replaced. All that said, buying brand new replacement parts will cost you about 1/2 of the cost of a new egg. And in the meantime, it still works, just needs some love to be back in primo condition. PM me if you are interested.

Ron Swanson

Nice rig.
what_she_said_office.gif

West Coast Johnny

We have a traeger pellet smoker which I like for some reasons and don't like for others:
-On the good side, for low and slow slow smoking it does a great job and you can just put the meat on and let it smoke all day.
-On the bad side, its more difficult to maintain than advertised. Moisture, grease and ash are constantly clogging up the fire pot and you have to stop what you are doing to clean it out. Also it doesn't get as hot as traeger claims.

froginaustin

I bought a jumbo, biggest available Big Green Egg about 12 years ago. Buying the huge one instead of an original “large” was a waste of money. I’ve loaded it up exactly twice. Every other time I’ve used it a large would have plenty. One of the 2 full loads was 2 full size briskets and 6 racks of baby back ribs. Or maybe 8. It was awhile back.

If you want a BGE really hot, the keys are (1) clean out the ash for best air flow and (2) use only big chunks of charcoal. You want 800 degrees, it’ll give you 800 degrees (per the BGE thermometer). Anyway, it seemed hot enough to smelt base metals.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
We have a traeger pellet smoker which I like for some reasons and don't like for others:
-On the good side, for low and slow slow smoking it does a great job and you can just put the meat on and let it smoke all day.
-On the bad side, its more difficult to maintain than advertised. Moisture, grease and ash are constantly clogging up the fire pot and you have to stop what you are doing to clean it out. Also it doesn't get as hot as traeger claims.
My buddy went through all the options earlier this year. Ended up with a traeger. He loves the results, but claims it is the opposite of an analog experience. Said its like playing a video game. I love the whole smoke in my face, whisky in my hand experience of the Big Green Egg.

What brand and model of smoker do you use? I am looking for a good one. Currently, I'm thinking of an offset, the one in particular is Oklahoma Joe's Highland. It seems pretty good for a backyard mesquite warrior... any thoughts, other suggested smokers, or experience with it?

Best starter smoker for the money is the Weber Smokey Mountain line. Very well made and holds temps.

My buddy went through all the options earlier this year. Ended up with a traeger. He loves the results, but claims it is the opposite of an analog experience. Said its like playing a video game. I love the whole smoke in my face, whisky in my hand experience of the Big Green Egg.

I'm the same way. I don't care for the plug and play aspect of the electric pellet smokers.

I too use a pellet smoker and they are very easy to use. Have a weber smoky mountain and it is good as well but requires more attention. The pellet grill keeps with 10* of your target temperature as long as it has a fuel source. Go to smoking-meat.com (not a joke) and the guy Jeff Phillips has a website with recipes and reviews of smokers etc. Sign up for his newsletter and he will send you a weekly recipe with step by step directions including photos so its very easy to follow. His website has many archived recipes as well.

Yeah, but saying Smokey Mountains need more attention is kind of a misnomer. Those things can hold temps for hours. And if they do need some attention it just involves a vent tweak.

Frozen Frog

I've got one of the original Recteq smokers. I love the results. I do find there is more cleaning than what is advertised, but I will take it. Depending on the pellets it can burn through them pretty quickly. The Traegar pellets seem to burn faster and dirtier. Best part of the Recteq is the customer support! I call after hours, and they return the call at the start of business. Every issue I have had they rectify it in less than a week. Parts are sent extremely fast and at times overnight. The flavor is hard to beat also.