• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Gary Patterson on why this has been one of the more rewarding seasons as TCU’s head coach

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Gary Patterson on why this has been one of the more rewarding seasons as TCU’s head coach

By Katherine Griffith

The Horned Frogs have a winning record for the first time this season (5-4) after upsetting No. 15 Oklahoma State. On Monday, head coach Gary Patterson spoke during the Big 12 coaches teleconference on the win and TCU’s upcoming game against Louisiana Tech:

Playing with passion
The Frogs struggled to play with energy at home during the beginning of the season, but Patterson said that there has been a turn in the team’s success since playing Oklahoma.

“I think we are playing with a lot more passion on the road and at home,” Patterson said. “When you play hard, you give yourself a chance.”

He also noted that his players are “playing for each other,” and there is greater chemistry between his team as he sees his group having fun while playing. He said when these things are happening, ”football becomes a little easier.”

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...es-a-little-easier-when-playing-with-passion/

East Coast

Tier 1
Interesting that Ms. Griffith is the "TCU sports blogger", and is currently a TCU student. Hopefully she is getting paid for her work (not just an unpaid internship).

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
"...since playing Oklahoma." Why? What was wrong at the very beginning?

Why is it that TCU simply cannot get it together until roughly Game 5 or so? We seldom have any cohesion early on, even with Senior-laden teams.

To reiterate, the Frogs were beaten coming out of the tunnel against OK. There were more long faces in that group than one finds in a stable. Why?

Salfrog

Tier 1

Why is it that TCU simply cannot get it together until roughly Game 5 or so? We seldom have any cohesion early on, even with Senior-laden teams.

To reiterate, the Frogs were beaten coming out of the tunnel against OK. There were more long faces in that group than one finds in a stable. Why?

They still need to grow up.

Froginbedford

Self-fulfilling prophecy....Haven't beaten OU since 2014 and we all kind of agree that the Boykin teams were the aberration and not the norm....OU has the psych advantage over TCU, just like UT, A&M, and Arkansas had in the 1960s-1980s....I think it will take a 2 out of 3 win cycle against OU to break that advantage....

Putt4Purple

Gary has stated before that as players at some point they get tired of losing. Perhaps after the OU game is when the light bulb came on and realized that coaches can only do so much? I like to believe this since this is a young team. If what I believe to have stated is true then this is very good for TCU Football future.

CountryFrog

I think it has more to do with schedule order than most anything else.
I believe this is the biggest factor. The last 5 games of our conference schedule were much easier than the first 4.

I think maybe the first game you can blame a little of what happened defensively on just not having any games prior or much practice time. MAYBE. Other than that I don't think we're that different of a team now than we were at the beginning of the year. Although it is possible that we've maybe accepted who we are on offense a little more recently than we did say in the KSU game. If we were to play them this week then I'd like to believe the result would be quite a bit different, especially since they seem to have regressed since then.

PO Frog

We are just as mediocre now as we were at the beginning of the year, and possibly worse because of Max’s injury. The only difference is the caliber of opponent. Iowa State and OU are better (although not great) and everyone else is mediocre to bad. Hence the better record once we got past those two.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

I heard Joel Klatt discuss this. He was saying unless you had overwhelming talent most teams in the NFL were saying it took 4 or 5 games without the in person practices and exhibitions to start playing as a well oiled machine. He said he imagined it was probably even more pronounced in college without spring practice, summer workouts and diving right into conference games and even worse for younger teams. Klatt is usually pretty accurate on his theories. He said that unless you are Bama or Clemson or Ohio State, or one of the other usual suspects, he wasn’t sure you can really make much out of this year and imagined this was likely just one big spring practice for most teams.

Froggish

By Katherine Griffith

The Horned Frogs have a winning record for the first time this season (5-4) after upsetting No. 15 Oklahoma State. On Monday, head coach Gary Patterson spoke during the Big 12 coaches teleconference on the win and TCU’s upcoming game against Louisiana Tech:

Playing with passion
The Frogs struggled to play with energy at home during the beginning of the season, but Patterson said that there has been a turn in the team’s success since playing Oklahoma.

“I think we are playing with a lot more passion on the road and at home,” Patterson said. “When you play hard, you give yourself a chance.”

He also noted that his players are “playing for each other,” and there is greater chemistry between his team as he sees his group having fun while playing. He said when these things are happening, ”football becomes a little easier.”

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...es-a-little-easier-when-playing-with-passion/

By Katherine Griffith

Playing with passion

Weird that beating Kansas is more fun than losing to OU...

CountryFrog

We are just as mediocre now as we were at the beginning of the year, and possibly worse because of Max’s injury. The only difference is the caliber of opponent. Iowa State and OU are better (although not great) and everyone else is mediocre to bad. Hence the better record once we got past those two.
That's a bit of an oversimplification imo. That Texas win is still a really good win. If not for losing to us then they are probably ranked in the 12-15 range right now. They're a good team. And I think that OSU and WVU are better than mediocre if not all the way into the "good" category.

I think we have the capability to be a good team but were far too inconsistent and are therefore in that same OSU/WVU category of being something better than mediocre but not quite good either.

K-State is thoroughly mediocre. Baylor and Tech are bad. Kansas is absolutely atrocious.

These are all just my completely subjective opinions of course but they are also 100% true.

4th. down

Self-fulfilling prophecy....Haven't beaten OU since 2014 and we all kind of agree that the Boykin teams were the aberration and not the norm....OU has the psych advantage over TCU, just like UT, A&M, and Arkansas had in the 1960s-1980s....I think it will take a 2 out of 3 win cycle against OU to break that advantage....

For sure but Riley had 3 heisman types in a row against us at QB and with the talent around them, tough for anyone except Bama, etc.

Pharm Frog

That's a bit of an oversimplification imo. That Texas win is still a really good win. If not for losing to us then they are probably ranked in the 12-15 range right now. They're a good team. And I think that OSU and WVU are better than mediocre if not all the way into the "good" category.

I think we have the capability to be a good team but were far too inconsistent and are therefore in that same OSU/WVU category of being something better than mediocre but not quite good either.

K-State is thoroughly mediocre. Baylor and Tech are bad. Kansas is absolutely atrocious.

These are all just my completely subjective opinions of course but they are also 100% true.

I do not think the current Okie Lite team is anything more than average.