• The KillerFrogs

Fred Akers Has Died

Frogs1983

a special team mistake away from a national title

he struggled at the end of his time in austin, but he really was treated badly by alums / fan base and did have some very good teams

number of very good defensive players and his 1983 team had 17 players taken in the 1984 nfl draft
Yeh, was at that Cotton Bowl game against N.D. with Montana at QB. Texas was the better team IMO, but the best teams don't always win of course.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Was at a Blue Bonnet Bowl at Rice Stadium in 85 where UT played Air Force. Two most memorable things (other than UT losing) was a plane pulling a huge Fire Fred banner right down the center of the stadium. There were a ton of Air Force brass right in front of us. They had a fly by of a single slow moving F4 Phantom trailing black smoke.
A 3 star was getting really mad, finally told his aide, “Give me that damn phone!” He was handed a brief case sized thing with a phone in it (which was a big deal in the 80s) and began chewing on someone. All I remember was he said something about why we couldn’t do better than a noisy smokey vintage crate and saying the Air Force got up-staged by a Stearman pulling a banner!

westoverhillbilly

When Akers started his son, Danny, who was a walk-on at quarterback toward the end of his time in Austin, that sent many of the supporters over the age as I recall. Fred loved defense and to win low scoring games.

I remember reading where he kicked a field goal at Arkansas that kept TCU out of the Cotton Bowl in the late 50's.

Eight

Yeh, was at that Cotton Bowl game against N.D. with Montana at QB. Texas was the better team IMO, but the best teams don't always win of course.

texas had no passing game, especially after lam jones went out with an injury which allowed nd to focus on stopping earl.

that notre dame team was very good and really was the better team. their only loss that year was by 7 at mississippi and they had a number of future pros on that team

Eight

When Akers started his son, Danny, who was a walk-on at quarterback toward the end of his time in Austin, that sent many of the supporters over the age as I recall. Fred loved defense and to win low scoring games.

I remember reading where he kicked a field goal at Arkansas that kept TCU out of the Cotton Bowl in the late 50's.

wait, who kicked a field goal in the 50's?

OICU812

he struggled at the end of his time in austin, but he really was treated badly by alums / fan base and did have some very good teams

number of very good defensive players and his 1983 team had 17 players taken in the 1984 nfl draft

My childhood buddy across the street was on that team. He was the best RB in Texas coming out of HS, could've gone about anywhere in the country and Committed with DKR. Unfortunately Earl was only a sophomore, and played 2 more years. When he did get opportunities he was a stud, but those were few and far between and he was not one of Fred's guys so it didn't go well.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
My childhood buddy across the street was on that team. He was the best RB in Texas coming out of HS, could've gone about anywhere in the country and Committed with DKR. Unfortunately Earl was only a sophomore, and played 2 more years. When he did get opportunities he was a stud, but those were few and far between and he was not one of Fred's guys so it didn't go well.
Darrell Royal liked to stockpile guys. They way, they couldn't beat him playing elsewhere. I can remember UT losing to UH back in the 80's, Todd Dodge throwing 5 ints or something. I knew a kid who was a backup QB. "Why didn't they put you in?"

"Because I'm about 7th on the depth chart. That's why."

Mean Purple

Didn't Britt Hager play for him?

yeah, he was treated like crap at the end in Austin.

Mean Purple

Was at a Blue Bonnet Bowl at Rice Stadium in 85 where UT played Air Force. Two most memorable things (other than UT losing) was a plane pulling a huge Fire Fred banner right down the center of the stadium. There were a ton of Air Force brass right in front of us. They had a fly by of a single slow moving F4 Phantom trailing black smoke.
A 3 star was getting really mad, finally told his aide, “Give me that damn phone!” He was handed a brief case sized thing with a phone in it (which was a big deal in the 80s) and began chewing on someone. All I remember was he said something about why we couldn’t do better than a noisy smokey vintage crate and saying the Air Force got up-staged by a Stearman pulling a banner!
I remember that banner. I remember the signs that season that read "It's No Mystery, Fred is History"

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
not to derail, but as a kid I asked my older brother what that show was about. He said Shirley is a prude, laverne is a slut and they can't make rent.
This was followed by my mom smacking him up the backside of the head.

crazy what I remember.

sounds like my brother. My dad would tell him to eat all his dinner because kids were starving in China. Got smacked when he said name one.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
not to derail, but as a kid I asked my older brother what that show was about. He said Shirley is a prude, laverne is a slut and they can't make rent.
This was followed by my mom smacking him up the backside of the head.

crazy what I remember.
So...what was Carmine (The Big Ragoo) ?