• The KillerFrogs

Way OT - Mountain Lion attack

Froglaw

Still in my blind
11. Point showed up so I’m waiting for him to leave. Way too young.

we’ve heard and seen them out here near Throckmorton

really skittish

Eight

Family member spotted one in Rosebud/Lott area a couple months back. He has been living down there his whole life so I have to believe him.

did they ask the lion if he has been living down there and not just another refuge from waco?

Tumbleweed

Read in the archives of the Celina Record, the TPW released three sets of mountain lions or cougars (don't remember which one) along the NE Collin County/ Grayson County line in 1937 or maybe 1938. I hear often about sightings near Mustang Creek which is a little south of the release. Two years ago a Black Panther was photographed on a wildlife cam in the same area. That's an area just made for those kind of animals. As many of you know, Bonnie and Clyde walked the streets of Celina more than once. Story goes, they were captured near or in the Celina Drug store on the NE corner of the square and put in a railroad car until the police could come and take them away. Supposedly Bonnie wiggled her way thru a hole, took a long railroad steel bar and freeded Clyde. Still earlier in the NW corner of Collin was a rather large encampment of Apache Indians.

I lived in Marfa many, many years as a youngster. The Brite Ranch, dug encampments around the ranch HQ to discourage Pancho Villa's band from stealing cattle and horses. In those bunkers were machine guns and after several attempts of doing harm thought the better of it. BTW...I mentioned the Brites, that's the Brites who funded Brite College with several million thru the years. Absolutely the finest 4'6 ranching cowboy I've seen and the finest family ever. They built the beautiful Spanish inspired adobe church on the corner in downtown Marfa. Town of 1,800 maybe 2,200 when we lived there and on Sunday morning that church was full. Capacity of around 500/600. Lived there when Giant was filmed. As a high school age kid I worked for the Palace Theatre in projection and most every night, here comes Chill Wills, Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, Jimmy Dean, etc to see the dailies shot the day before.Give someone an inch and he'll take a mile. Sorry for the carrying on but Texas is a pretty special place!

Ron Swanson

Read in the archives of the Celina Record, the TPW released three sets of mountain lions or cougars (don't remember which one) along the NE Collin County/ Grayson County line in 1937 or maybe 1938. I hear often about sightings near Mustang Creek which is a little south of the release. Two years ago a Black Panther was photographed on a wildlife cam in the same area. That's an area just made for those kind of animals. As many of you know, Bonnie and Clyde walked the streets of Celina more than once. Story goes, they were captured near or in the Celina Drug store on the NE corner of the square and put in a railroad car until the police could come and take them away. Supposedly Bonnie wiggled her way thru a hole, took a long railroad steel bar and freeded Clyde. Still earlier in the NW corner of Collin was a rather large encampment of Apache Indians.

I lived in Marfa many, many years as a youngster. The Brite Ranch, dug encampments around the ranch HQ to discourage Pancho Villa's band from stealing cattle and horses. In those bunkers were machine guns and after several attempts of doing harm thought the better of it. BTW...I mentioned the Brites, that's the Brites who funded Brite College with several million thru the years. Absolutely the finest 4'6 ranching cowboy I've seen and the finest family ever. They built the beautiful Spanish inspired adobe church on the corner in downtown Marfa. Town of 1,800 maybe 2,200 when we lived there and on Sunday morning that church was full. Capacity of around 500/600. Lived there when Giant was filmed. As a high school age kid I worked for the Palace Theatre in projection and most every night, here comes Chill Wills, Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, Jimmy Dean, etc to see the dailies shot the day before.Give someone an inch and he'll take a mile. Sorry for the carrying on but Texas is a pretty special place!
A black panther/cougar/mountain lion/puma has never been confirmed in history. They aren’t real. It’s usually just weird lighting in a photo.

Jaguars and leopards with melanin imbalances are the only big black cats.

I have a heavily wooded hundred plus acres, with a three acre pond in

Grimes County. Great for weekend family hunting and fishing. The last

thing I need is to have a damn cougar roaming around.

Boomhauer

Kf.c continues to amaze. Great memories thanks for sharing.

4 Oaks Frog

For the hunters on here, since it's the season, be aware. . . I'm wondering if these guys are making a resurgence, guy in a pasture next to mine was hog hunting at night and heard one on my place south of Corsicana, which I hadn't experienced in about 40 years. I understand it hastened his departure from the evening's hunt. :)

The body of a Texas man was found after what authorities believe was a deadly mountain lion attack.

Christopher Allen Whiteley, 28, was reported missing on Thursday after last being seen early Wednesday morning in Lipan, Texas, the Hood County Sheriff’s Office said Saturday. Whiteley’s body was found in a nearby wooded area after a search.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/missing-texas-man-found-dead-152513646.html
I am originally from south of Corsicana in a little town called Wortham. Home town of Frog Charlie Davis. I haven’t lived there for over 50 years, but I remember hearing the cougars scream at night we camping, and seeing their paw prints when hunting. Lot of ranchers lost cattle down there back then. OICU812, where is your place?
GO FROGS!
BEAT LA’ TECH!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

Ron Swanson

I have a heavily wooded hundred plus acres, with a three acre pond in

Grimes County. Great for weekend family hunting and fishing. The last

thing I need is to have a damn cougar roaming around.
I wouldn’t worry about it... I know it’s cliche but they’re way more scared of you than you are of them. The only way you’d get in trouble is if you somehow got around a mom and her cubs.

OICU812

I am originally from south of Corsicana in a little town called Wortham. Home town of Frog Charlie Davis. I haven’t lived there for over 50 years, but I remember hearing the cougars scream at night we camping, and seeing their paw prints when hunting. Lot of ranchers lost cattle down there back then. OICU812, where is your place?
GO FROGS!
BEAT LA’ TECH!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

Ha, the pasture in question is at the end of the county road that runs past the Davis house. My sister went to TCU with Charlie and Lynn. Haven't seen either of them in a few years years but last time I saw Lynn he was well in his 50s and looked like he was in NFL shape. Believe he was an all-SWC LB in his day. Some great DNA among that bunch. Was fortunate to get to know LA before he passed, he was a friend of my grandfather and a really good man.
The first one that let me know about the panther(s) on that place was Glen Riley, if you remember him. I last heard one there probably 1975, scared me silly. I assumed they were gone, but apparently not.
You ever know Glen Riley Jr.? He was apparently a really serious tracker and hunter, not sure what became of him.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yep..there is a little mesquite tree to the front right of the lion about 5 feet away and it is about 3 feet tall. That cat is approaching 3 feet in height. Check out the raised paws. Those suckers look like 6 plus inches across!
The fellow we've been seeing is smaller, and darker in color. Tail is different as well. Beautiful animals, though...

Salfrog

Tier 1

Bonnie Parker was my mom's second cousin. Bonnie obviously died before my mom was born in '46. I remember one of my mom's aunts had some pictures of a young Bonnie in them before she was with Clyde. She had 1 or 2 pictures of Bonnie & Clyde together. No one is sure whatever happened to those pictures after my mother's aunt passed in the mid 70's.