• The KillerFrogs

What are your favorite TCU favorite regular season victories?

bwnorx

Was thinking about how big of a game yesterday was for salvaging this season, and it got me thinking about some past big regular season victories. I don't think yesterday was necessarily a top10 but it's about as satisfying a game as I could have imagined. Here's some off the top of my head since I starting wearing purple, in no particular order.

-at Boise State 2011 (36-35, go ahead in the last minute on a 2 point conversion and Boise missed a FG as time expired)

-Utah 2009 and 2010 (55-28 and 47-7, back to back throttlings of our main MWC foe)

-Baylor 2015 (28-21 double OT, in the pouring rain one year after Baylor gave us our biggest ever "what if?" defeat. There's only been a few games in my life as a sports fan that I believed i truly would not be ok if we lost, and this was one of them. It didn't even have big bowl implications, it was just personal)

-at Oklahoma 2005 (17-10, a true catalyst for the program)

-at West Virginia 2012 (39-38 double OT. This one was just plain old fun, and another big gamble going for 2 to end it. God I loved watching Josh Boyce play)

-Texas Tech 2015 (55-52. One of the craziest games I've ever seen, being won on one of the craziest plays I've ever seen. Remember how I said beating Baylor was personal b/c of what they did to us the year before? That's exactly how Tech felt playing against us after we hung 82 on them a year before.)

-at Stanford 2007 (38-36. This is kindof a forgotten one. We had to come back twice on the road. This was Harbaugh's first season at Stanford and while they weren't that great, a televised west coast victory is always good for the program. I was debating between this game and at Clemson in 2009, but that game just wasn't as exciting to watch)

-BYU 2008 (32-7, a good ole Thursday night ass whooping of one of the most unpleasant fan bases we've ever had to share a conference with)

-Oklahoma 2014 (37-33, and on that day our new found spread offense was born and we shot up the rankings to shake up the playoff rankings. One day we might even beat them again!)

bwnorx

2000 victory over Northwestern. LT could have run for almost 500 yards had the refs not called back several long runs.
There was also the super cold night game against Louisville where the wind blew the potential game winning field goal off course, sealing TCU’s victory.
O man great call, yea I want to include that Louisville game. Thursday night game and first in C-USA history between 2 ranked teams. Their kicked missed 4 field goals including that game winner.

Rabidfrog

Can agree with you on all u mention, except maybe for the Stanford game. For some reason I like Okie State game when we clobbered them in FW with Tre, then the one this year and two years ago. This year's game will prolly salvage the season, along with the UT win; and the one two years ago did the same thing. Losing with Tre in Stoolwater ruined the season and deprived Tre of the Heisman, which contributed to his problems later.

ftwfrog

Can agree with you on all u mention, except maybe for the Stanford game. For some reason I like Okie State game when we clobbered them in FW with Tre, then the one this year and two years ago. This year's game will prolly salvage the season, along with the UT win; and the one two years ago did the same thing. Losing with Tre in Stoolwater ruined the season and deprived Tre of the Heisman, which contributed to his problems later.
If I remember correctly, I don’t think the @Stanford game was on TV? Unless I forgot to pay the cable bill I remember huddled around the radio listening to it.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
2000 victory over Northwestern. LT could have run for almost 500 yards had the refs not called back several long runs.
There was also the super cold night game against Louisville where the wind blew the potential game winning field goal off course, sealing TCU’s victory.
That NW game still pisses me off. Two of those flags were dropped after LT had cleared all potential tacklers and was galloping off to the end zone.

The Louisville game was on a Wednesday night, if memory serves. Mrs. Brewingfrog didn't make the trip, as her employer frowned on absences due to reasons other than near-death illness or planetary catastrophes, so she stayed home to watch on TV whilst I bravely sallied forth to Fort Worth.

Seeing that it was a close game throughout, she decided that cleaning the house was a good idea for all the nervous energy. She later said, "By the time the guys were lining up the final kick, I was down to cleaning the baseboards in the kitchen with an old toothbrush. I couldn't watch!"

West Coast Johnny

2015 Texas @ TCU - Daje Johnson knocked into next Tuesday on the first series and Chris Spielman lamenting over and over again how bad Texas is compared to the frogs while we outscore them 30 -0 in the first quarter.

2011 TCU @ Boise - I was at the game on the blue turf and in spite of corrupt MWC officials trying to punish us for bolting to the Big East, Frogs win it on shanked field goal on last play of game. (Byron Hout is a punk).

2017 TCU @ Arkansas - Sorry CBS for ruining your SEC TV show.

Brog

November 1947, no I wasn't there in person, but heard it via Kern Tipps and Humble radio. Doak Walker, all American, etc, SMU undefeated, running for a natl championship. But Lindy Berry and a few others rose up and the game ended in a 19-19 tie. Goodbye, Natl Championship, sMU. Still miss Lindy, one of our best.

Paul in uhh

Rarely mentioned but the game vs New Mexico after the Boise/Nevada missed FG game...just needed the W to play the rose bowl

I doubted we would screw the pooch but you never know.

felt the same way when we beat Iowa State 59-3. Thought we would surely stay a playoff team. We were ranked 3rd before that game kicked off. Of course we know what happened next.

bwnorx

Rarely mentioned but the game vs New Mexico after the Boise/Nevada missed FG game...just needed the W to play the rose bowl

felt the same way when we beat Iowa State 59-3. Thought we would surely stay a playoff team. We were ranked 3rd before that game kicked off. Of course we know what happened next.
On other boards I've started thread topics on the theme of "most important game for your program that you team wasn't actually playing in." Boise vs Nevada will forever be TCU's biggest/ most important game in that category. It's crazy to think but I've said before, Collin Kaepernick is the biggest indirect reason we got to play in the Rose Bowl and perhaps ever join the big12.

Yeah I remember that New Mexico game, but even more so I remember the close call against SDSU the week before. They almost completely spoiled our dream season.

Zubaz

Yup, UNM was THE worst team in FBS that year too. We went up early with two quick scores where New Mexico didn't cover Hicks and then James. I don't mean busted coverage either, I mean "New Mexico literally didn't put a guy on him" and Andy had to subtlely change the play each time. Dalton then got knocked out of that game with an elbow injury I believe. THAT was a scary. We put Yogi Gallegos out there for a few plays, then Casey came in and, I don't wanna say New Mexico made a comeback, but got it to something like 31-17 at the half and everyone was remembering the week prior with a little bit of apprehension.

Then the second half happened and we just demolished them.

TCU2002

Lots of great answers here. Others that come to mind:

UTEP, 2000: Sneaky big win when UTEP brought about 6,000 fans to Amon Carter and thought they could celebrate a conference championship on our home field. LT ran for 305, one year after he torched them for 406. Clinched TCU's first conference title in a very long time.

@Clemson, 2009: Significant at the time, and all the moreso in retrospect given what Clemson has become. It is nice having scoreboard on Dabo Swinney.

2004 @Army: Actually, this game was really aggravating (and signaled that the season would eventually be a dumpster fire) because we almost allowed Army to break a multi-*season* losing streak. Army went up 17-0 in the first quarter and Michie Stadium was truly delirious. The Frogs chipped away in the second half, with Frog great Kyle Kummer (heh) orchestrating the winning drive after replacing Brandon Hassell. The Frogs scored the go-ahead TD with 4 seconds left, and the West Point cadets were very, very sad. I was at the game with my father, and we were guests of his boss, a big time West Point booster. We were sitting in the Superintendent's Box (dress code: coat and tie) and I did not *dare* openly cheer during the Frogs' comeback. A highlight of the day was meeting Army's Heisman Trophy winner Pete Dawkins at a pre-game brunch.

jake102

I think all of mine have been said. BYU thursday night in 2008 when Hughes did awful things to their Heisman QB. Utah 2009 and 2010. Boise 2011. OU 2014, KState 2014. Tech 2015, KState 2015, Baylor 2015 especially.

Not sure there's been a single awesome/important game since 2015 unfortunately. Perhaps 2017 Oky State when they were top 10 and we smoked them