• The KillerFrogs

Gary Patterson has lost his damned mind

helcap

Actually, Special Teams was not bad at all yestiddy. The specific instructions given them may have been screwy, but execution was good to excellent.
Concerning special teams following instructions https://247sports.com/college/tcu/A...9-22-win-over-No-15-Oklahoma-State-156167430/

Was that how the squib kick was supposed to look at the end of the first half?

“No. He’s supposed to squib it all the way to the goal line. You’re not supposed to squib it to the 30 so you can run it to the 40. It’s the second time I’ve asked him to do it and he did it the same way. Obviously I’m not doing a good job of informing of what I’d like to get done.”

What happened on Darwin Barlow’s kickoff return where he fielded it at the one?

“He was told the kickoff before that not to catch the ball…and he caught it. I don’t know what to tell you. I told him not to do something. You know what happens to freshmen, they just want to make plays. But, you have to make good and smart plays. We’ll learn from it. He’s a good player that’s going to be an even better player but he’s got to be a smart player too.”

CountryFrog

So unless I'm a head coach of another P5 program I can't observe that calling back to back timeouts, a pathetic squib kick, and going into a passive prevent defense in the span of about 5 minutes was an embarrassing head coaching sequence??? Ignorant.
Yea that's a moronic statement. I've said a few times on here that most fans watching football have no clue what they're actually watching, but you really don't need to have a deep level of knowledge to know when and how to use timeouts. In fact many fans at home have a much better feel for when and how to use timeouts than coaches on the field because there are about 900 different things that a coach is trying to think about and communicate at any given time. Especially a coach who is also calling the offense or defense.

Plus, whether you're talking about something that you have a deep knowledge of or not doesn't determine whether or not you have the right to talk about it. That's why message boards exist. So that all of us can pretend like we know what the scheiss we're talking about with each other.

Moose Stuff

Yea that's a moronic statement. I've said a few times on here that most fans watching football have no clue what they're actually watching, but you really don't need to have a deep level of knowledge to know when and how to use timeouts. In fact many fans at home have a much better feel for when and how to use timeouts than coaches on the field because there are about 900 different things that a coach is trying to think about and communicate at any given time. Especially a coach who is also calling the offense or defense.

Plus, whether you're talking about something that you have a deep knowledge of or not doesn't determine whether or not you have the right to talk about it. That's why message boards exist. So that all of us can pretend like we know what the scheiss we're talking about with each other.

What do you mean "pretend"???

denverfrog

Gary made/allowed some awful decisions today. Us winning doesn't change that.
And we’re young. Future is bright. These guys could’ve folded weeks ago. They could’ve folded today when down 13-0 and not a break was going their way. The only negative I see now is I doubt he replaces the OL coach who I want to see gone.
Completely agree, future is very bright. This team wins next week, wins a bowl game, finishes with 5-1 to 7-4 with 2 national top 15 wins. Arguably, A healthy Duggan the whole Iowa state game and we have 3 top 15 wins. The O line needs to develop, not sure if that is new staff or personnel but pretty sure that Gary knows.

Moose Stuff

Completely agree, future is very bright. This team wins next week, wins a bowl game, finishes with 5-1 to 7-4 with 2 national top 15 wins. Arguably, A healthy Duggan the whole Iowa state game and we have 3 top 15 wins. The O line needs to develop, not sure if that is new staff or personnel but pretty sure that Gary knows.

If we're being fair, the OL actually IS developing. We'll see if it continues but they absolutely have gotten better as the season has progressed.

PO Frog

The other football low IQ is catching kick off’s at the corner of the Endzone
The smart play would have been to wave for a fair catch so we end up at the 25 if you don’t happen to be at the end zone. The smarter play would have been for him to catch it with a foot out of bounds so OSU gets penalized for a kick out of bounds.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The smart play would have been to wave for a fair catch so we end up at the 25 if you don’t happen to be at the end zone. The smarter play would have been for him to catch it with a foot out of bounds so OSU gets penalized for a kick out of bounds.
He caught two at the corner. See if it goes OOB. know where you are on the field.

denverfrog

If we're being fair, the OL actually IS developing. We'll see if it continues but they absolutely have gotten better as the season has progressed.
I do agree that run blocking has gotten better. I disagree on pass blocking. To your point about developing, Was always told pass blocking as a unit was much harder to get right and took much longer to develop. But, it hasn’t been good this year