• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2020-2021

JogginFrog

Meanwhile, the LPGA is at Old American GC in The Colony. Angela Stanford shoots 71-69 to go into the weekend T5, just 2 back of leaders Anna Nordquist, Jessica Korda & Yealimi Noh.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Is it not good? Looks pretty good on the tube for going into dormancy.
It’s not bad. I’ve played it a few times. Just didn’t feel LPGA tour worthy. I played a course in Carlsbad right after a LPGA event. That seems mike a course for a tour event. Maybe I just hate Frisco/Little Elm/The Colony so much I can’t give it credit. Although I do like the Tribute course that Old American is right next to.

TCU volunteer men's assistant coach Dana Bellenger passed away on Wednesday. Had been with the program for more than 30 years. Condolences to his family.

Many current and former players tweeting about the impact Coach Bellenger made on their lives: https://gofrogs.com/news/2020/11/12/mens-golf-tcu-mourns-the-loss-of-bellenger.aspx
Dana was an excellent teacher and had a great sense of humor. I took lessons from him starting in the early 80s. He helped a lot of players improve their games. RIP Dana.

Went looking for news about any signings made by TCU men's golf. Didn't find any, but realized that I missed a significant victory by a Frog earlier this month. Mateo Fernandez de Oliveira won the Azalea Amateur at Country Club of Charleston over a loaded field including U.S. Am champ Tyler Strafaci and the winners of the Asia-Pacific Am, Latin America Am and U.S. Mid-Am. Congrats to F de O!
https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/11/01/argentina-mateo-fernandez-de-oliveira-wins-azalea-amateur/
The Azalea Amateur is a very prestigious event. This is a big win.

JogginFrog

Angela Stanford birdies 3 of her first 5 holes and is now tied for the lead at the Volunteers of America Classic.

Update: Stanford hit a rough patch on the back nine but eagled the 17th to get into a big group at -3 (T4). She'll start Sunday one shot off the lead.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Who is Filippo Celli? A bit hard to tell, but he leads the TCU men through two rounds of their Winter Cup qualifier. He suddenly appeared on the TCU roster with no announcement of a signing. He's a freshman from Rome, who has been as high as 148 in the World Amateur Golf Rankings, so he's a player. His WAGR event log shows no collegiate events, so I'm guessing he either recently qualified or his family decided to keep him home during the early months of Covid.

In any event, he's a strong addition to a crowded TCU roster of 13. All but Aymeric Laussot are playing in the qualifier. Scoring here.

Also new this week: TCU men announce a spring schedule, which kicks off next Saturday with a dual match-play event vs. SMU, and will include two events each in Arizona and California.

JogginFrog

Angela Stanford is capitalizing on her recent victory with a strong showing at the season-opening Tournament of Champions, featuring only winners from last year. She is T5 with 5 holes to play. While she has no chance to catch Danielle Kang or the Korda sisters, she is making the most of an opportunity to bank Solheim Cup points. She currently stands T6 in that race with Lexi Thompson.

update: Angela catches Cheyenne Knight down the stretch to finish T5.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Dana was an excellent teacher and had a great sense of humor. I took lessons from him starting in the early 80s. He helped a lot of players improve their games. RIP Dana.
He was great and will he missed

for anyone looking for someone to continue with working on their game with Dana’a philosophy- I was told last week that former TCU golfer Franklin Corpening has picked up the mantle in honor of Dana and is teaching at Leonard’s now

If I recall, I think Franklin started taking lessons from Dana when he was in grade school and continued under his tutelage until his passing

JogginFrog

TCU men start their spring schedule today with a rare dual match against SMU. In recent years the Frogs have largely focused on multi-round tournament play featuring 10-16 teams, but the Big 12 Match Play competition has given them experience in one-on-one competition.

Today's match features eight head-to-head matches at Vaquero Golf Club in Westlake. Probably by design, the matches have both teams' higher-ranked players squaring off against each other in the early matches. SMU's McClure Meissner, the top-ranked amateur in the field (21st), will play Mateo Fernandez de Oliveira, TCU's highest-ranked player (80th). U.S. Am runner-up Ollie Osborne will face Jacob Skov Oleson; and Noah Goodwin, ranked 58th in WAGR, will face TCU newcomer Filippo Celli.

In addition to Celli, freshman Brandon Massey also makes his debut for the Frogs, playing in the final match. Mustangs should be favored as a group, but with 8 players competing, anything can happen. Follow scoring here beginning at 1 Central: http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=pairings&tid=21855&rid=1

TCU men start their spring schedule today with a rare dual match against SMU. In recent years the Frogs have largely focused on multi-round tournament play featuring 10-16 teams, but the Big 12 Match Play competition has given them experience in one-on-one competition.

Today's match features eight head-to-head matches at Vaquero Golf Club in Westlake. Probably by design, the matches have both teams' higher-ranked players squaring off against each other in the early matches. SMU's McClure Meissner, the top-ranked amateur in the field (21st), will play Mateo Fernandez de Oliveira, TCU's highest-ranked player (80th). U.S. Am runner-up Ollie Osborne will face Jacob Skov Oleson; and Noah Goodwin, ranked 58th in WAGR, will face TCU newcomer Filippo Celli.

In addition to Celli, freshman Brandon Massey also makes his debut for the Frogs, playing in the final match. Mustangs should be favored as a group, but with 8 players competing, anything can happen. Follow scoring here beginning at 1 Central: http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=pairings&tid=21855&rid=1
Back in my day, head-to-head matches were normal. The SWC champion was determined through head-to-head matches.

JogginFrog

Back in my day, head-to-head matches were normal. The SWC champion was determined through head-to-head matches.

The NCAA's move to match play in post-season has renewed interest--teams need experience in that format. But the .500 rule that prevents teams with losing records from making the NCAA tourney keeps match play from dominating schedules--teams need to ensure some "easy wins" along the way, and it serves to ensure that lower-ranked teams get their shot at beating the big boys.

Frogs now up in 6 of 8 matches, with Oleson 3 up on Osborne through 5, and Trevor Brown 3 up on Prescott Butler through 3. Frogs came to play.

JogginFrog

All rounds are at or beyond the turn. Frogs lead 5-3, including all 3 of the top matches. Oleson is up 4; Brown and Laussot up 3; Celli and Fernandez de Oliveira up 2.

Edit: Frogs close out 3 matches: F de O (4&3), Celli (4&3), Laussot (5&4). Remaining matches have Frogs up in 1 and down in 2, with 2 square. Osborne has come back from 4 down to square his match with Oleson.

Last edited: